• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CoVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 Information and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And yes Adrian its going to have to run through 80% of the people before we see progress. I believe the CDC knows this now and thats why you are seeing a different approach these last few weeks.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would disagree that there are no home treatment plans and will add that the choice of what to do or not to do for an individual patient should ultimately be decided by the patient and their doctor.

The most current NIH COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel's current outpatient treatment recommendations are as follows (in order of preference):
  • Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir 300 mg plus ritonavir 100 mg) orally twice daily for 5 days
  • Sotrovimab 500 mg, administered as a single intravenous (IV) infusion
  • Remdesivir 200 mg IV on Day 1, followed by remdesivir 100 mg IV on Days 2 and 3
  • Molnupiravir 800 mg orally twice daily for 5 days

For most patients, the University of Chicago's Medicine website notes:

The most important thing to know about using over-the-counter medications to treat COVID-19 is that none of these common drugstore products are actually going to treat the virus itself. But these medications can certainly make you feel a whole lot more comfortable when you’re sick. Just make sure you’re following dosing guidelines on the label, especially for products like Tylenol. If you have other medical problems or take other medications, you should probably check to make sure OTC medicines aren’t a problem for you. That said, taking the things that work for you when you have a cold or the flu will probably make you feel better now, too.

In terms of specifics: acetaminophen (Tylenol), naproxen (Aleve) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can help lower your fever, assuming you don’t have a health history that should prevent you from using them. It’s usually not necessary to lower a fever – an elevated temperature is meant to help your body fight off the virus. But if you feel really awful, it’s okay to take a fever reducer. If your temperature is over 104 F, or you or your child has a history of febrile seizures, you will probably need to take something and you should contact your doctor.

These medicines will also help you get through the body aches. You can also try to manage coughs and sore throats with chamomile or herbal tea, hot water with lemon, lozenges and decongestant balms like Vicks VapoRub (or something similar). Most OTC cough medications have been proven to be ineffective and I don’t recommend them.

Finally, if you have diarrhea or stomach issues, the best thing to do is to let them run their course and stay hydrated by drinking lots of liquids. If you can’t keep liquids down or feel dizzy, contact your doctor. Just remember, you aren’t really better until you feel well without taking any of these medications.

Jim

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks but I was hoping to hear from a medical professional in here on the front lines

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks but I was hoping to hear from a medical professional in here on the front lines
The question was already asked an answered by Doctor(s) working in the field on December 8th. If you want a different answer I suggest you follow my link to see what researchers have published on the topic.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This article discusses this:

It would be very easy for a hospital (or hospital system) to pull a report on all covid deaths and check their blood type. One could get a pretty large sample size with a large hospital system. The fact that no large system has reported this correlation suggests to me there very likely isn't one. I may ask one of our analytics folks if they've pulled this from one of our large systems...

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
BLOOD GROUPS A AND AB ASSOCIATED WITH INCREASED RISK OF SEVERE CLINICAL OUTCOMES OF COVID-19 INFECTION
People with blood groups A or AB appear to exhibit greater COVID-19 disease severity than people with blood groups O or B, according to a separate retrospective study. Researchers examined data from 95 critically ill COVID-19 patients hospitalized in Vancouver, Canada. They found that patients with blood groups A or AB were more likely to require mechanical ventilation, suggesting that they had greater rates of lung injury from COVID-19. They also found more patients with blood group A and AB required dialysis for kidney failure.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Evil Sports, did you happen to notice how many subjects were included in that observational study?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The blood type issue and its effect on the virus is an interesting one. Quite honestly, this far into the pandemic, I'm surprised that no one seems to have done a deep dive into patient data in a study that supports (or disproves) the hypothesis. I guess that it might get talked about to a fair degree on some of the media (like Fox) because my Mom will periodically ask me if I have heard anything (I haven't) one way or the other.

Jim

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
…Along with CNN retiring their covid death tracker graphic it’s looking like things will be back to normal by Easter. Maybe Valentine’s Day at this rate.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@the MfM, it would be great if this pandemic transitions to endemic by March however that would require a lot more vaccination or a lot more illness. Unfortunately I suspect that many are going to do this the hard way.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@the MfM, it would be great if this pandemic transitions to endemic by March however that would require a lot more vaccination or a lot more illness. Unfortunately I suspect that many are going to do this the hard way.
As contagious as the omicron variant is, I would suspect that more illness will likely be the leading factor. :(

Being vaxed and boosted, I'm not personally worried about contracting a severe case of the virus, but, honestly, I don't want to contract a mild case either. My wife never really stopped wearing a mask in public. I did stop wearing a mask except in indoor crowded areas, and public transit, but have started wearing one again while indoors at the shops when its not as crowded.

Jim

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
*personally, I’d rather have a pure blood treating my family members.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m saying the unjected shouldn’t have been fired.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Rhode Island implement a strict vaccine mandate for health care workers a few months ago.

now they are in crisis staffing and calling in covid positive staff to work.

Unfortunately, it won't let me read the article without a subscription.

Are they calling in covid positive staff to work? The other articles that I can find on-line say, "Rhode Island's Department of Health has said that hospital and nursing home staff who test positive for COVID-19 can return to work to solve a staffing crisis if needed." The key for now seems to be, IF NEEDED.

From Becker's Hospital Review today (sorry I can't post a link),
The Rhode Island Department of Health updated COVID-19 quarantine and isolation guidance Dec. 31, allowing asymptomatic healthcare workers who have tested positive to work without restriction in staffing "crisis" situations, as long as they wear N95 masks.

The guidance depends on a number of factors, including infection status, vaccination status and staffing status at specific facilities. In crisis situations, fully vaccinated and boosted workers have no restrictions while unvaccinated workers who have received religious exemptions can work with prior considerations.

Upon changing staffing categories, healthcare facilities must notify the department by reporting to the Center for Health Facility Regulations. Hospitals and skilled nursing facilities shifting from "contingency" to "crisis" staffing must also post their staffing status and an explanation on their websites or other public-facing platforms.

"Facility administrators should be using their clinical judgment in making staffing decisions," Health Department spokesperson Joseph Wendelken told The Providence Journal on Jan. 1. "For example, a facility may opt for a COVID-19 positive worker to only care for COVID-19 positive patients."

The one thing that the articles do not seem to mention is why there is a staffing shortage? Could be, in part, to to vaccine mandates, but it could also be skyrocketing covid cases, healthcare worker burnout, heathcare workers deciding to retire, or folks tired of working in nursing homes for crappy wages.

Jim

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
By declaring staffing to be at “crisis” level they can and have had staff work after testing positive. Otherwise they would have had to wait out the current 5 day (previously 10 day) quarantine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Unfortunately, it won't let me read the article without a subscription.

Are they calling in covid positive staff to work? The other articles that I can find on-line say, "Rhode Island's Department of Health has said that hospital and nursing home staff who test positive for COVID-19 can return to work to solve a staffing crisis if needed." The key for now seems to be, IF NEEDED.

From Becker's Hospital Review today (sorry I can't post a link),
The Rhode Island Department of Health updated COVID-19 quarantine and isolation guidance Dec. 31, allowing asymptomatic healthcare workers who have tested positive to work without restriction in staffing "crisis" situations, as long as they wear N95 masks.

The guidance depends on a number of factors, including infection status, vaccination status and staffing status at specific facilities. In crisis situations, fully vaccinated and boosted workers have no restrictions while unvaccinated workers who have received religious exemptions can work with prior considerations.

Upon changing staffing categories, healthcare facilities must notify the department by reporting to the Center for Health Facility Regulations. Hospitals and skilled nursing facilities shifting from "contingency" to "crisis" staffing must also post their staffing status and an explanation on their websites or other public-facing platforms.

"Facility administrators should be using their clinical judgment in making staffing decisions," Health Department spokesperson Joseph Wendelken told The Providence Journal on Jan. 1. "For example, a facility may opt for a COVID-19 positive worker to only care for COVID-19 positive patients."

The one thing that the articles do not seem to mention is why there is a staffing shortage? Could be, in part, to to vaccine mandates, but it could also be skyrocketing covid cases, healthcare worker burnout, heathcare workers deciding to retire, or folks tired of working in nursing homes for crappy wages.

Jim
One article I read said that 97% of RI healthcare workers are vaccinated, add to that the ones who have a medical exemption, and it isn't a huge impact....but when you combine it with a covid surge....less than ideal (but their mandate was for 10/1....so perhaps they'd handled that 1-2% attrition already? I wish my company only had 1-2% attrition!

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
How could things go back to normal? 2021 death toll surpassed the 2020 death toll with 3 month left.

Status
Not open for further replies.