• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Detailed 2016 242 LS $1k Audio Upgrade

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah @Dave burke I'm considering replacing my stock polk sub woofer.....how do you like the Polk MM? I've been replacing all the others speakers with JL....was thinking of going with a JL. Also have a blown channel on the Polk 5 channel amp and am thinking of replacing that with a JL amp (blown channel is just one channel Front right)

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah @Dave burke I'm considering replacing my stock polk sub woofer.....how do you like the Polk MM? I've been replacing all the others speakers with JL....was thinking of going with a JL. Also have a blown channel on the Polk 5 channel amp and am thinking of replacing that with a JL amp (blown channel is just one channel Front right)
Julian you will LOVE JL’s amp and sub. My build is still going very strong.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’d go JL sub @Julian. Way better than the Polks.

I had the same problem with my Polk 5-channel and debated replacing or repairing. Decided to repair if cheap so took it to local electronics repair shop. Cost me $90 and it’s still working.

I will eventually upgrade to the JLs just didn’t want to do it this year.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had the same problem with my Polk 5-channel and debated replacing or repairing. Decided to repair if cheap so took it to local electronics repair shop. Cost me $90 and it’s still working.
That is good to know....my Polk amps run really hot....I wonder how JL amps do? My blown channel is in the bow (where I never ride! LOL) so it isn't a super high priority for me. Since I now have 3 amps, 2 Polk and one Wetsounds, I've been wondering if it would make sense to redo them all and consolidate down to two big ones.....but they ain't cheap. Others have been touting the SKAR amps....but they aren't as efficient (AB). Since I have 13 channels I'll need an 8 and 6 channel.....

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is good to know....my Polk amps run really hot....I wonder how JL amps do? My blown channel is in the bow (where I never ride! LOL) so it isn't a super high priority for me. Since I now have 3 amps, 2 Polk and one Wetsounds, I've been wondering if it would make sense to redo them all and consolidate down to two big ones.....but they ain't cheap. Others have been touting the SKAR amps....but they aren't as efficient (AB). Since I have 13 channels I'll need an 8 and 6 channel.....
I’ll check out my 800/8 this weekend and let you know if it throws any heat after a few hours.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i hear you. I told Odin last year about my amp problems and he recommended 2 JLs as well. Said they’re in a different league from the Polks. I have 11 channels and 3 amps so I’m in a similar situation to you.

I’m not putting more money into the Polks so when they go, I’ll break out the dough. Will probably be close to $2k and more twisting underneath the helm to redo the amp board. That’s almost worse than the money.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ju - The polk mm speakers are a good value. The mm subs are not true free air but at least shallow depth mount. I had to custom seal them (custom fiberglass work between inner and outer hull) to wake them up more which was a pain. The JL m880s crank fairly well off a bridged m400/4 Jl amp. My subs are still running strong on on a true class D rockville. I would never run full ranges on that. Right now the crown jewel of the system is the JL twk88 dsp. Custom tuning/balancing every channel made a good bit of difference. That said before installing I disassembled it and coated the boards in a professional conformal coating.

If I were to redo everything I would go with all JL except for the tower speakers which would be WS rev10 (better for wake/surf riders to hear). That said my current system cost a heck of a lot less than that would yet still sounds darn good (clean/loud/balanced). To be clear I am far beyond my original self imposed 1k budget this thread started as. The smart thing I did from the get go was overkill wiring and JL amps.

Current Stereo components:
Factory Polk pa4 head unit
4 pair Polk MM 6.5 speakers
2 Polk MM 10 inch subs
1 pair JL M880 towers
2 JL m400/4 amps
1 Rockville RXM T2 amp (for subs)
1 JL twk88 DSP
A lot of custom wiring

-edited a misspelling

Last edited: