• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you wear a (boating) hat!

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've always worn ball caps, but this year I'm gonna give a full-brim hat a try. Ball caps will remain onboard in reserve.

IMG_20210401_183219438.jpg
I always loved my Ron Jon hat, but not the burnt ears after a long day on/in the water.

20190709_134435.jpg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a baseball cap guy myself, flip it backwards underway, back out forward when docking/anchoring.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

BigPapiBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I bought an XL Hydro Icon hat from Mellin and love it. Floats in the water. XL for giant domes like mine. Great look and solid construction. Backwards when we open up the 195S, but forwards otherwise.

melin - Better headwear for better adventures.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The three hats I brought waverunning today. Visors are my thing, with a retention line while on the water.

EA38985C-A7DD-4E1C-A5DE-03D32650D450.jpeg2D125FA0-292F-4232-89E6-AC08BB3DF8AC.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a Shelta hat last year and have been happy with it. The brim is reinforced and keeps its shape while cruising. Great sun protection and decent style.
No, watch the video on the website. You can keep it on at WOT.
FINALLY ended up buying a Shelta Osprey today. I wanted a Seahawk, but I wanted to try it on first, and both myself and the wife character preferred the look of the Osprey.

I had planned to buy several sizes off of Amazon and just return the items that didn't fit, but with the sizing, I decided to track down a local seller. Even after tax, the local seller turned out to be $2 LESS than Amazon, although that might not be an option for everyone.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 for the Shelta hat. For years I've had a couple of Tilley hats - picked two up on a trip to Toronto when I stumbled on an outlet sale at their store, for $18 a piece!
Got a Shelta this year for the fixed brim, which works great even at WOT. No more momentary blindness when the Tilley flopped down over my eyes, followed by instant removal and chastising from the Admiral (skin cancer runs in her family...).

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
+1 for the Shelta hat. For years I've had a couple of Tilley hats - picked two up on a trip to Toronto when I stumbled on an outlet sale at their store, for $18 a piece!
Got a Shelta this year for the fixed brim, which works great even at WOT. No more momentary blindness when the Tilley flopped down over my eyes, followed by instant removal and chastising from the Admiral (skin cancer runs in her family...).
I too have the Tilley and the flopping drives me nuts. Now I use it to work around the house. Which Shelta did you get?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I’ve got both a Hemlock and a Salt Armor straw hat. Both are nice, I feel the Hemlock fits a little better on my massive head though.DC8C61B6-D53C-479F-B6F4-0F5A8DE598A9.jpeg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New hat just arrived today🤩
9FE2E0A8-C9E8-4CB9-B1B3-F7A7591ACCE6.jpeg

Last edited:

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how do the sizes run? Are they accurate? How do they compare with the Tilley size?
If my addled brain** isn't deceiving me again, I think they're fairly similar. I checked before typing this though and Shelta has a size chart that gives sizes in inches which would be a great way to check! Hat Size Chart

(** spent the past 11 days taking care of my 91 y.o. mother and her Alzheimer's... I think she's fried MY brain too! I desperately need some boat time and here it is, Monday. :))

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Have you tried soaking it in the water for extra cooling?
I have not, but unfortunately, it was crushed under luggage in the back of the 4Runner on the way back from vacation. Need to find a new one…