• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Evinrude vs Yamaha outboards

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Damn big difference would have never guessed any 150 would beat any 200 of any brand like that.

2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Not really all that surprising to me.

Yeah, I agree.... it’s tough to compare a 2-stroke vs a 4-stroke when it comes to off the line planing performance. I’m a big fan of those G2 engines.... if we didn’t love the form factor of the Yamaha boats or the awesomeness of the jet drive I would have a G2 on the back of my boat in a heart beat.

Maybe one day.... wouldn’t give up my great lounge or jet drive though!

SInce both brands make 2 and 4 cycle engines...why aren't they comparing similar technologies? Also was interesting that they never mention that the Evinrude is a 2 cycle....seems a little underhanded.

Why does the 2 stroke outperform the 4 stroke? Is it because it fires on every rev and the 4 stroke on every 2 revs?

So, this is interesting, but I'd like to see 20 of each followed over 10 years to see the maintenance/repair bills before deciding which is "best"

I was surprised they did not go lower pitch on the Yamaha to get it to plane.

There isn't a whole lot of maintenance with the E-Tec G2. 500 hours or 5 years before your first "dealer" service along with doing your own annual inspections much like you do on any boat. Much less maintenance and things to go wrong than a 4 stroke because of over a hundred fewer parts. It's a very nice designed engine and personally I'm a big fan of it. There's some good comparison videos out there of this engine compared to its competition. Glad to see efficient 2 strokes making a comeback. Brap brap!

G2 Maintenance

Maintenance & Inspection Schedule
Routine inspection and maintenance is necessary to ensure outboard life. The following chart
provides guidelines for inspection and maintenance. The 500 hour/5 year service should be
performed by an authorized Dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing.
IMPORTANT: Adjust the maintenance schedule for operating and environmental conditions.
Outboards used in rental, commercial, or other high hour applications require more frequent
inspections and maintenance.
(1) Whichever comes first. Certain conditions may require more frequent inspection and maintenance.
(2) Annually in salt water applications – Refer to Service on page 39.
(3) Emission-related component. Refer to Owner Responsibility on page 36, Product Warranty Information
on page 57 and, if applicable, California Emission Control Warranty Statement on page 66.
Engine Care Products
The engine care products listed in the table below are referenced in this guide, and are recommended
for use with Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards.

Dealer Maintenance Every 500 Hours or 5 Years (1)
Customer Inspections Every 100 Hours or Annually (1)

Action
Anodes (corrosion protection) Check condition (1), (2)  
Back pressure probe Replace 
Covers Wash and wax, repair scratches 
Fluid levels (steering and trim) Inspect level 
Fuel filters Replace 
Gearcase lubricant Inspect level, see “Gearcase Lubricant Level” on
page 40. 
Gearcase lubricant Replace A 
Grease fittings Lubricate B 
Oil Filter (optional remote oil tank only) Replace 
Propeller shaft splines Inspect and lubricate B 
Service codes Access EMM, check for and resolve any codes 
Spark plugs Replace (3) 
Thermostat Inspect (3) 
Water pump Replace

(1) Whichever comes first. Certain conditions may require more frequent inspection and maintenance.

(2) Annually in salt water applications – Refer to
Service on page 39.
(3) Emission-related component. Refer to
Owner Responsibility on page 36, Product Warranty Informationon page 57 and, if applicable, California Emission Control Warranty Statement on page 66.

Last edited:
WOW That's really cool ! And 5 Year Gear oil interval. I recall an issue in the first generation of this technology (Or similar FITCH?) was the demise of OMC/Johnson/Evinrude. BRP came in with cash and saved the day, and it appears they got it right if the engines are reliably performing.

It really is a nice design. Here's a video I found just kind of going on about some of the servicing and how it is truly a refined design over traditional outboards.

Last edited:
The resevoir for the gearbox oil is interesting. Knowledgeable I/O owners have been using them for years, but Ive never seen one on an outboard before.

Interesting but kind of pointless comparo, unless your primary concern is getting home quick after losing an engine (which we definitely can not do!)
Would have been more useful to compare matched twins for economy, speed and other factors. I know these new tech 2-cycle engines are much improved versus the old ones which were abandoned for the more efficient and less polluting 4-cycle, but how much improved?

Back then they weren't direct injected nor had any of the other technologies we have today to make engines more efficient.

Here's a comparison I found. Basically you get more torque and performance with the Etec burning the same or less fuel than a comparable 4 stroke.

I always had the opinion that Evinrude could not compare with Yamaha in the outboard arena. This test was pretty revealing and NOT good news for Yamaha!

http://www.boattest.com/engine-revi...TEC-G2-150-H-O--vs--Yamaha-F200-4-Stroke_2018

Okay, this has got to be one of more backwards distorted bs boattest nonsense I have seen yet, just when I thought they can not sink any lower...

I LOVE rudes, have had few older 2-strokers and salivate every time I see these new G2s - these are just phenomenal engines. And yes, the 2-strokers have some distinct advantages, such as a 2-stroke engine has to produce half the force because it does it twice as often (time) to make the same power. Etc, etc.
(It's really been the environmental considerations of older 2-strokers related to emissions standards - a downside, basically fixed by the new BRP G2s.)

BUT (back to the "test")

The guy proclaims at the end of the clip/infomercial:
"These numbers speak for themselves"
And flashes this on the screen:
upload_2018-2-11_19-36-21.png
Yeah these numbers do speak for themselves, actually.
What they tell me is this:
That guy is a complete MORON. Or - he is simply doing BRPs bidding. Which is fine by me, but let's be honest - call it what it is, an infomercial, NOT a review.

The Yamaha engine operating at 3,000-3,500 RPM ??????? - that will generate about half the torque and about a quarter of the max power that it is capable of!!!
Change the prop to get into the power band (don't know exactly what the max is for that 200hp Yam engine but it has got to be about 5,500 RPM) - then, and only then, try comparing these two engines.

What a complete waste of time - making people watching this totally misleading nonsense.

boattest my ass.

--

With the proven reliability and longevity of Yamaha Outboards over the last 3 decades I would never chose an evinrude over it.
Either that or I have traces of Tuning Fork in my blood

When the "new" Etecs came out years back they were suposed to be the greatest outboard and i know of a lot of guys who got them up north.... everyone of them had problems and eventually got rid of them.

These now newer etecs will take some real world years to see how they match up

Btw i havent seen one Rude in my area. Mosty saturated with Yami's

I too saw this 'review' and was curious that the Yamaha would only turn ~3,000 rpm when it's typical for most outboards to top out at 5k or maybe even a little north of that.

Maybe you guys watched a different review than I did. They compared the two engines on the back of the same boat. the reason the Yamaha is at such a low rpm is because that's the best it could do at full throttle. It was unable to get the boat on plane and therefore could not reach it's full Rpm. So with the two engines on the back of the same boat and with similar props (factory spec'd) the Evinrude was able to plane the boat and reach a higher top speed, although still below its maximum rated rpm. The Yamaha could not plane the boat and therefore could not reach a similar top speed or even come close to it's max Rpm. Unfair test? Maybe in some ways.... but the results weren't exactly revelatory anyway. I think you would have pretty much the same result any time you put a 2 stroke up against a 4 stroke regardless of branding. Also, in this particular instance, that 4cylinder 4 stroke only fires once for every 180 degrees of crank rotation, whereas the 6 cylinder two stroke fires every 60 degrees. So the two stroke in this instance is firing three times for the 4 strokes one. Thus the two stroke produces more power sooner, once again, this is not new information. Discussions like this go all the way back to when the 4 stroke outboard was introduced to compete with the two stroke outboards, it's nothing new.

Maybe you guys watched a different review than I did. They compared the two engines on the back of the same boat. the reason the Yamaha is at such a low rpm is because that's the best it could do at full throttle. It was unable to get the boat on plane and therefore could not reach it's full Rpm. So with the two engines on the back of the same boat and with similar props (factory spec'd)
I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same "review". This non-review is farcical.

The reason Yamaha could not reach higher RPM (and never got even close to its power band) is because the engine was severely over-propped for the boat they used.

The "factory specs" do not apply here: IF the factory spec'ed the prop in the 200hp Yam tested - for pushing a 26(?)' CC - it would have propped it quite differently. The prop used for the "testing" would have been fine if running twin 200hp in that boat, not a single.

The rig was probably chosen to take advantage of the narrower power band of the G2 that fit neatly into this otherwise absurd scenario.

Ok, let me give you another example - try running your jet boat w/ one engine/pump. Would you want to draw conclusions about the 1.8l HO engines peforming/underperforming, in general, based on that???
I don't think so.

That boattest video is a bullshit infomercial, mascarading as a test/review.

--

Back