• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

First long distance tow next week

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Next week we are towing our boat long distance for the first time. We are traveling from Fox Lake, IL to Lake Wissota, WI (about 250 miles). I purchased Boat US insurance for towing coverage and roadside assistance as a back-up.

I am somewhat anxious because we have had nothing but trouble with our trailer. I think the troubles are solved after the smoked brakes and hubs earlier this season as we subsequently had the hubs, brakes, and whole surge assembly replaced.

I am planning on having a laser thermometer to keep track of the temps periodically to hopefully spot trouble early.

I am also concerned about the yamaha mooring cover. My cover is thinning a little in some areas and I am concerned about it tearing during the trip.

Does anyone have any constructive words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited:
I would check your brakes/bearings after 25 miles or so, then after 100 miles, should be good after that. Also get a new cover if you are concerned. You'll need a new one soon enough anyways, might as well get one now and not need it then driving down the road and it shreds to pcs. and stuff goes flying. IMO

Sounds like you have the brakes covered. Be sure to have the little key for the surge brakes to disable them if necessary and take some duct tape. You can use the tape to hold the key in place on the trailer and to make any patches on the cover to get you home if it rips.

That's a short trip! Check your temps once, consider replacing the cover, but if you don't , just keep and eye on it. Extend your following distances and have a great trip!

Make sure your bearings are greased up before pulling out.

I just towed 800 miles with the mooring cover. I covered all the internal webbing in foam noodles. Then I covered the windshield edge with noodles and padded the tops of the anti pooling poles with West Marine life jackets so the area in contact with the cover was larger. I made sure the entire cover was sitting correct and tight. Checked it periodically and it was fine.

What are you towing with?
Make sure you check your truck coolant and transmission fluid levels. Check tire pressures on truck and trailer.

I'm towing with a Jeep GC diesel. First time I've used the car for towing too....

Are you going out on the COL tonight?

E

Back