• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First trip with the boat!! The good, the bad, and the embarrassing

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So...got the new (to me) boat out on the water today. 2014 242 Limited S.

First the good - this boat is incredible. We were only on inland lakes today so there wasn't much chop but even over the other boats wakes was no problem. Towing, cruising, everything was just so much fun. Engines started up 20+ times while we picked up tubers and wakeboarders. You hardly even feel the tubers back there with the twin engines. I installed Cobra Super Ultimate fins yesterday and I could not feel any pull from the tube or wakeboards when they were out to the side. AND, I remembered the clean out plugs and the drain plug.

Next, the embarrassing. Guess who was ready to sink the boat before we even left the dock? This guy was...because it wouldn't start. Engines cranking, cranking, voltage alarms, (but I knew the batteries were good, I charged them last night) but no starting. 5 minutes pass....looking at engines, batteries, turn on emerg parallel just in case. Nothing. Realizing I'm "that guy" at the ramp whose boat doesn't work, blocking everyone else. Finally it strikes me....the kill switch lanyard wasn't plugged in. Got that installed and off we go engines fired right up! Loading the boat back on the ramp also falls in this category. I put the trailer way too far back in the water so the bow was coming in under the roller. We finally got it right but it took a really long time. For you guys who trailer, how far do you put your bunks in the water? After looking around it seems that 2/3 is the right answer. I was easily past 100%. Also, do you drive your boat right up to the bow roller? Would there be a risk of sucking anything up into the jets as the water would be quite shallow at that point.

Lastly, the bad. Steering was very tight especially at high speed. I replaced the reverse cables yesterday, one was rusted right through. I have the steering ones here but haven't done them yet. I'm hoping that's all it is. Maybe a job for after work this week. I also noticed a pretty rough idle, exactly like what was mentioned here https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-boat-new-member-engine-rough-idle.26664/ in those first videos. I'm hoping all it needs is some Seafoam - going to try that tomorrow. I did put in 32 gallons of gas before we went out so the tank was getting empty but no idea what the qualify of those other 18 gallons was.

Don't know if anyone has wakeboarders in their group, but my girls (12 and 18) and another friend (20) were having a really tough time getting up. Not sure if it was the driver, but I was the common denominator. Any tips for how to accelerate? slow then fast, steady, etc? Or is it just getting a feel for it.

Back home now....having a cold one and thinking about my next trip out.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wakeboard pulls should a gentle pull that slopes faster as you see the rider start to stand up. These boats have a lot of power, no need to use it. I pull new riders the most gradual. Experienced riders I start with a faster acceleration because they can handle it.

Even when we pull dual wakeboards I still only use maybe 40% of the horsepower available to me.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Trailer fenders should just be cresting visible. About half in/half out. Once 80% on the trailer(and winch hooked up) sometimes I’ll have driver pull back deeper into water just to make it easier to land bow hook to roller.

Try to use more of the winch than throttle to close the last 10 inches.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Trailer fenders should just be cresting visible. About half in/half out. Once 80% on the trailer(and winch hooked up) sometimes I’ll have driver pull back deeper into water just to make it easier to land bow hook to roller.

Try to use more of the winch than throttle to close the last 10 inches.
Thanks! I think was definitely an issue. The bunks were completely underwater the first time we tried so the boat was just floating.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally it strikes me....the kill switch lanyard wasn't plugged in. Got that installed and off we go engines fired right up! Loading the boat back on the ramp also falls in this category. I put the trailer way too far back in the water so the bow was coming in under the roller. We finally got it right but it took a really long time. For you guys who trailer, how far do you put your bunks in the water? After looking around it seems that 2/3 is the right answer. I was easily past 100%. Also, do you drive your boat right up to the bow roller? Would there be a risk of sucking anything up into the jets as the water would be quite shallow at that point.
I did the kill switch lanyard on the first trip out this year too. I was so proud of myself to remember the plugs and everything...neighbor was trying to help me, but unfamiliar with jet boats...The plan for next year is to tie the boat keys together with the lanyard so I don't forget it.

As for the trailer, it'll completely depend on how shallow/steep your launch is. For mine, I have to completely bury my fenders on my normal launch, but I've been on one other launch where I coudl ONLY bury the rear fenders to get the boat on the trailer.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put the front trailer fender just under the water and winch the last foot. The trailer guides work fantastic. Loading is effortless.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I put the front trailer fender just under the water and winch the last foot. The trailer guides work fantastic. Loading is effortless.
Couldn't agree more, the first few times I was nervous AF. It's effortless and pretty stress free now, I've only done it about 6 times.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As mentioned above, It depends on the ramp. My fenders are submerged by a couple inches on the State ramps I use around here. I use my VeVe guides as a depth gauge from the truck. I have the black padded covers over the white PVC poles. The padded covers are about 10-12" shorter than the white PVC at the bottom of the guides. I back in until the water is touching the pads. I pull my boat onto the trailer with a bow line a few feet short of the bow stop and hand crank from there. I do not power load. I think most of us have forgotten the lanyard or not put the boat in neutral at some point. Practice, you will find that loading "sweet spot" and be in and out of there in seconds.

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I put the bunks all the way in to get them wet and then pull out just enough to have about a foot of bunk showing. Trailer it and winch in the last little bit. I crank each engine before it’s my turn to launch just to know they’re going to work at launch. I put Fuel Med in every time I put gas in. Not sure if that will help the rough idle though.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keep in mind that the angle is different at every ramp. The steeper the ramp the less you want to back in. That said most nice ramps have roughly the same angle and having the fenders almost completely submerged is what most aim for. Then how you handle the last foot of bunks is up to you. Some ramps dont allow power loading. I power load the last foot.

Your rough idle could simply be old plugs? (Unless you just changed them)

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of great advise here. Think the biggest takeaway is that it will vary slightly from ramp to ramp depending on the angle/water depth.

I put Fuel Med in every time I put gas in. Not sure if that will help the rough idle though.
? I can’t seem to find a pic of the back of the bottle that instructs the mix ratio. I am almost out of my current stabilizer, Sta-ble 360, and was thinking of trying this, just not certain what size bottle/qty to pick up.

acemannw

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
This happens to everybody I know I forgot to plug ones and will never do it again add it to my mental checklist

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Keep in mind that the angle is different at every ramp. The steeper the ramp the less you want to back in. That said most nice ramps have roughly the same angle and having the fenders almost completely submerged is what most aim for. Then how you handle the last foot of bunks is up to you. Some ramps dont allow power loading. I power load the last foot.

Your rough idle could simply be old plugs? (Unless you just changed them)
Plugs are next on my list. I’m not sure when they changed last. Previous owner wasn’t sure either

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Previous owner wasn't sure ? They weren't ever changed then LOL
Yeah that’s how I interpreted it too :) just did them myself last week.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ramps are different, depends on the angle.
I find If I go too deep with the trailer, it loads easy but many times it does not sit on the trailer correctly and I have to redo it and that is a real hassle.
I have trouble power loading, I find the bow tend to move around too much.
I prefer to slowly drive the boat onto the trailer and kill the engines.
I like to winch the last 5-10'....it's a lot of cranking but I get the best results that way.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jamesk Trailer Guide Posts work wonders for us. I am usually within a couple feet of the winch. I sink the front of my front fenders just under the water line, of course or ramps may be different. I line up and drive toward the trailer and cut the engines. The guides keep the boat where it needs to be. When the boat stops I am a couple feet, circa, away from the winch. Hop off the front and crank it a bit. Sits on the bunks perfect every time. I give it the courtesy brake stop coming up the ramp to snug up the boat and then snug the winch.

They are great as well for launching because it keeps the boat going straight back. Once the front line is over the guidepost, I pull the trailer up. Of course with two people launching.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Put guides on for sure, makes centering so easy. Some people will rib you about your training wheels, but when they're at the ramp dunking their boat a second time after recovering because it's off center, well you'll know which finger to use when you "wave goodbye." I put on 60" ve-ve's, they're fantastic. I had to re-tighten them after a lot of miles hauling the boat as they seem to vibrate the bolts slightly loose, but that's a 30sec job.

Now, with the guides on you can dunk your trailer deeper and, if you choose, just winch the boat on. I usually go with the front wheel fenders underwater a couple of inches. My wife can push the boat onto the trailer by hand until I can grab it with the winch cable and bring it up.