• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fix for Connext Battery Voltage Issue - Confirmed

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So everyone I went and looked and the lead coming out of my switch for the house battery had a second wire with it. I took apart the battery switch and swapped the leads for the house and start batteries. Sadly this is how it was labeled so it looks like it was installed wrong. Hooked everything back up and poof I now have two different readings. Did not have to cut, splice or change anything else at all. Hope others have the same luck.
You are the second person with a 2017 plus boat to mention the leads. I can say that I have noticed any such leads and will have to take a closer look (been meaning to so thos for a while). Wonder if it was a fix that happened with 2017 model years. That said I like the direct connection for each battery. This minimizes any voltage drop from things drawing power on the same circuit which wil artificially deflate the true battery voltage. I notice when heavy bass comes in on a song that my aux voltage drops one or two points with my amps pulling down more juice to feed my subs. Pops right back up when the bassy section is done and that is with very modest amp draw for the speakers that I have a system tuned with an oscilloscope, dedicated 0 awg run and group 31 agm batteries.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are the second person with a 2017 plus boat to mention the leads. I can say that I have noticed any such leads and will have to take a closer look (been meaning to so thos for a while). Wonder if it was a fix that happened with 2017 model years. That said I like the direct connection for each battery. This minimizes any voltage drop from things drawing power on the same circuit which wil artificially deflate the true battery voltage. I notice when heavy bass comes in on a song that my aux voltage drops one or two points with my amps pulling down more juice to feed my subs. Pops right back up when the bassy section is done and that is with very modest amp draw for the speakers that I have a system tuned with an oscilloscope, dedicated 0 awg run and group 31 agm batteries.
Lol. Tell me about it. When my bass is on I see fluctuations of 11.2v to 12.5 where I usually start the day. But like you said once bass is done, it always goes back up. I just can't wrap my head around why it barely gives me the 12.6v reading for long. Most of the day it's @ 12.4v when I know it's usually more like 12.5 to 12.6v.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The reading is only as good as the components, programming and calibration (if they even calibrate) of the spu box.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So everyone I went and looked and the lead coming out of my switch for the house battery had a second wire with it. I took apart the battery switch and swapped the leads for the house and start batteries. Sadly this is how it was labeled so it looks like it was installed wrong. Hooked everything back up and poof I now have two different readings. Did not have to cut, splice or change anything else at all. Hope others have the same luck.

So, here's the stupid question of the day. How do you take apart the switches? Just remove the screws from the front and it comes off? Any other trick to it? I need to take a peek both at this and the DVSR loop.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, here's the stupid question of the day. How do you take apart the switches? Just remove the screws from the front and it comes off? Any other trick to it? I need to take a peek both at this and the DVSR loop.
Open up your engine hatch and directly behind the dvsr you will see the threads and nuts of the two bolts that hold it together.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Open up your engine hatch and directly behind the dvsr you will see the threads and nuts of the two bolts that hold it together.
Awesome, thanks!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My switch set has two bolts and two screws. The screws come straight out; the bolts have nuts on the engine room side of the bulkhead the switches are mounted to.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks for this information, I opened up my switch cluster and found the sense wire. For me it was labeled to be where it was but switching over to the start battery gave me separate voltage readings so this definitely works. So Aux voltage is reading the start battery now and System voltage is reading the house battery. Incidentally this is now opposite what the manual indicates but I don't care cause now at least I have separate voltage readings.

Question - it looks like the DVSR has power even when all switches are off cause I see the LED on even after I shut both switches off - is this correct? If so, how much draw is that on the batteries if they were to sit for a while - I'm guessing not enough to worry about.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for this information, I opened up my switch cluster and found the sense wire. For me it was labeled to be where it was but switching over to the start battery gave me separate voltage readings so this definitely works. So Aux voltage is reading the start battery now and System voltage is reading the house battery. Incidentally this is now opposite what the manual indicates but I don't care cause now at least I have separate voltage readings.

Question - it looks like the DVSR has power even when all switches are off cause I see the LED on even after I shut both switches off - is this correct? If so, how much draw is that on the batteries if they were to sit for a while - I'm guessing not enough to worry about.
Light will stay on until the voltage drops . Light on batteries are all connected together once the lights turns off it means the voltage dropped and the batteries are isolated.

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So can anyone confirm if the “fix” found with the wires in the switch cluster is only on 2017 and newer models? Ive got a 2016 and would like to know if any out there with 16 or older have pulled this apart to check.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So can anyone confirm if the “fix” found with the wires in the switch cluster is only on 2017 and newer models? Ive got a 2016 and would like to know if any out there with 16 or older have pulled this apart to check.
You don't have to pull the switch cluster apart to check, you can see the wire going into the switch. Its a small (maybe 18-20 gauge?) sense wire that goes out bundled with the main feed coming off the house power. The issue is that it is connected inside the switch to the house battery which is redundant since the connext system already know what "it's" battery source voltage is. So to fix, is when you do need to take open up the switch cluster and move it from the house battery switch source to the start battery switch source so the connext system can get the start battery voltage via this sense wire.

IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Here is the DVSR Manual for all you electronic geeks :winkingthumbsup"

Attachments

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After reading all 9 pages. I am still confused on what (if any) mod I need to do on my 2017. I really want the actual separate readings but not sure what to do.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After reading all 9 pages. I am still confused on what (if any) mod I need to do on my 2017. I really want the actual separate readings but not sure what to do.
What part you need help at? @Mainah @swatski are the man when it comes to this kind of things.
Really just cutting the red line in the perk than running leads from battery to the STU on the starboard side of the boat. I think you can even run it to the port side wiring too.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Take a look at my photos 2 posts above yours. On the '17 there is a red sense wire that heads out of the battery area bundled with the main House feed. That red sense wire goes into the battery switch cluster and is connected to the House battery switch (you have to remove the switch cluster to see the connection bolts on the back of it).

You need to remove that sense wire from the House battery switch and instead connect to the Start battery switch. After you do this the Connext will read the House battery as "System" and the Start battery as "Aux" separately.

What you are fixing is that as-is the Connext is getting its voltage reading from itself which is fed by the House battery named "System" on the connext. Also it is getting the "Aux" voltage from the sense wire, problem is the sense wire is also connected to the House battery. So both are reading the House battery. Which is why you need to swap the sense wire over to the Start battery switch.

If that doesn't make sense let me know and I or some else that has done this can go into greater detail.

Last edited:

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That makes more sense. Anyway to make them read correctly on the connext screen? (start battery as house battery)

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That makes more sense. Anyway to make them read correctly on the connext screen? (start battery as house battery)
Are you talking about swapping the labels basically on connext. I'm not aware of anyway to do that.
As some have pointed out it kinda makes sense to call the House battery "System" cause its what the Connext [system] runs on, leaving the Start as "Aux". But you bring up a good point, it is actually opposite of what the '17 Manual says System and Aux are.

Edit: I'll just add for completeness sake - this only works on boats that have the extra sense wire which from what I understand was added in '17 models. Earlier boats would need to use @Mainah method of hi-jacking the SPU wiring. For that matter there isn't any reason '17 model owner couldn't do this as well if they wanted to - just seemed the sense wire swap was easier. Using @Mainah mod you can really choose what battery you want labeled what by what wires you tap into for each battery.

Last edited:

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I see your point entirely. My main goal was to see individual battery readings. With having a 21' model like yourself, I don't really wanna run new wires from down in the battery compartment all the way over to the other side of the boat when just swapping one wire from one switch to the other seems much easier.