• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Go Pro for Bimini Trip

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 4+ silver has a touch screen on the back. It also has the same resolution and frame rates and price as the 3+ black. It's currently the only go pro that comes with an integrated touch screen.

Apples to apples comparison. the 3+ was $300 the 4+ is $400. They use different batteries but the same cases so thy are the same size. 4+ has better resolution and frame rates. Both have blue tooth and it kills the battery quick on both. The 3s have a removable battery door whereas the 4s swings out but remains attached via a plastic hinge.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But how do the four silvers compared to the three silvers

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Reconfigured and recapped:

Gopro silver 3 v 4,

The 3 has a solid back the 4 an LCD touch screen.

3 has a lower frame rate and resolution than the 4.

The 3 was a $300 and the 4 is $400.

The 3 uses different batteries than the 4 but the same cases.

Misc.: I believe the 4silver is the same functionality wise as the 3black but the 4 is actually better because it comes with an integrated touch screen on the back. The LCD add on screen is $60 to $80 for the 3 series gopros.

The 4+ silver has a touch screen on the back. It also has the same resolution and frame rates and price as the 3+ black. It's currently the only go pro that comes with an integrated touch screen.

Apples to apples comparison. the 3+ was $300 the 4+ is $400. They use different batteries but the same cases so thy are the same size. 4+ has better resolution and frame rates. Both have blue tooth and it kills the battery quick on both. The 3s have a removable battery door whereas the 4s swings out but remains attached via a plastic hinge.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks...so many decisions. Watch, bet a GoPro 5 comes out right before our trip !

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Although the Hero 4 is a little improved than the Hero 3's, I'd still go with a Hero 3. Especially if you're not gonna use all the new features. The video quality of the Hero 3's are quite awesome, so you can't go wrong.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Although the Hero 4 is a little improved than the Hero 3's, I'd still go with a Hero 3. Especially if you're not gonna use all the new features. The video quality of the Hero 3's are quite awesome, so you can't go wrong.
I couldn't agree more. I am kicking myself not spending the additional $100 on a silver 3+. Hmmm, time to go shopping.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I debated this when I bought the three plus silver thought I wasn't going to like the no touch screen but the reality is I use it 90% of the time with the waterproof case so it would not have mattered to me much. The 3+ silver has blue tooth so I can watch playback or live video feed from my phone even remotely start recording or taking pictures. When all was said and done I couldn't justify spending the more money on anything higher than the 3+ Silver at the time. It has pretty good battery life as well atleast I think it does. Still kicking my self for not buying a second one around Christmas time someone had it for 199

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I'm debating renting one. Not sure if I'll use it enough ... I'm sooooo confused :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it cost you more to rent than the basic 4 model sells for , I think around $130, you would be better off just buying the entry level 4, get if from a best buy with a year long extended warranty and you may be able to trade up or sell it at a small price premium if don't like or use it.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd say buy one too. Because you'll end up using it WAY more than you were thinking. And if you rent one, then you'll be like, "These things are awesome! I wish I would have just bought one, instead of renting." :)

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check Ebay as well... Walmart has the Silver 3+ for 299 and comes with a 50 dollar gift card if you buy it online....

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 3+ silver has blue tooth so I can watch playback or live video feed from my phone even remotely start recording or taking pictures.
Some clarifications should be made in this thread. The GoPro 3 series uses WiFi to communicate with phones, tablets and remote controls. This works rather well except if operating with a drone as they many times use WiFi for their remotes and will conflict. GoPro 4 series added BluTooth. Shorter range, but for it's purpose works well.

The GoPro 3+ Black will shoot 4K video as well, so if you want to dabble in 4K you can without buying a 4. Keep in mind, the average guy will not be doing that as the files are so massive you won't have enough horsepower in your computer to edit the video. 1080p at 60fps will create some nice 1Gb files per 5 minutes shot. So just be realistic of what you are shooting

As much as some may like the LCD back door, many don't use this camera like a point and shoot camera or traditional video camera. With it's wide angle, most realize they just need point it in the general direction and they have it framed. Or they use their phone to frame the shot and they are good to go. Since these are many times mounted to an object that is moving, rather than moving the camera, framing the shot is usually only necessary once per position. So a viewfinder is convenient, but not necessary. Most would take battery life over convenience.

That being said, battery life is much better than most realize. They need to take some precautions to extend life. Running the cam with WiFi on will cut life in half many times. Starting and stopping recording on a regular basis not only adds battery life, but also cuts down on editing time trying to find the good shots.

I started out shooting our sled trips a half day at a time. The 3+ Black could run easily for a couple hours at near 0 degrees and shoot video the whole time. Lunch I would swap battery and do it again. I would come home to huge files that my computer could not handle. So it made sense to use my remote, or learn the buttons to turn it on and off more.

Search for some of the 3 series black cams if still around, otherwise a 4 may be your only option. Don't put much value on the bundled options, as you will find no-name accessories are cheap chinese crap that you can buy for pennies on the dollar on Ebay and Amazon that work just fine. Mounts, selfie sticks, chest straps etc are dirtball money online and quality is not important at all. A good case for all of them is worth something though.

Good luck!

PS: check out my drone video in the GoPro Short thread. A gimbal on a drone makes a world of difference. Uploading 5GB 1080p video to YouTube is pretty cool too!

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do the Amazon bundles with monopoles, 64 gig cards (I read where the Sandisk U3 cards are best) are not s good deal?

I should buy accessories a la carte?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Retailers have very little margin on the cameras as the pricing is fairly set across the board. Other than a couple bundles I have seen at Sam's club, the bundle is for the retailer more than the consumer. Sams club was just clearing out the last of their 3+ Black bundles with two batteries, double charger and remote for $299. That was a great deal.

The fast cards go onsale all the time at Office Max, Staples and Best Buy. So shop them there. Get as large of a card as you can budget for, and get the fastest card as well.

Other the other accessories are stupid-cheap on Ebay. Buying the name brand mounts and such are hardly worth the extra money. Other than something specific like a RAM mount.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check on SAMs website first as you can see inventory in clubs locally. We just ordered another one online as our two closest locations just sold out.

Good luck

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just went t Sam's website..types hero 3 & go pro....nothing comes up in club or online

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did too. And nothing came up. We ordered just last week. And the had just dropped $50

Sorry to tease you

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While in this subject can anyone recommend a good UV filter for the go Pro