• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has ANYBODY ever had freeze damage with a Yamaha jet boat?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so we all know the old winterizing debate, antifreeze vs simply revving the engines, etc etc, and I realized I’ve never seen a single instance where there was any real damage done to an engine or exhaust box from someone who didn’t even perform the basic revving engines procedure. That said, I’ve only had mine for about three years, so I certainly haven’t seen or heard it all.

Thus the question: has anyone had or heard of someone who has had actual issues from freezing?

Not talking about ballast systems, or wash down tanks, etc, but engine related freeze damage…

I never had until I saw it in person (and in Texas),

it was a 190 boat, the water pooled under the exhaust manifold and cracked it, after that I think I read another member with the issue, he wasn't sure it when he had it on the trailer at an awkward slope that caused it ??

I was extremely skeptical until I saw it, and independent shop said they had seen it happen before in the same place,

I'll try to look for the post to link it up here,

I've got no fear of freezing on my MR1 though,

I don't have his contact info in my phone anymore, He rented his ar190 out as a business, he had a couple long threads about the rental and then about the milky oil /cracked manifold,

It was @B0at1n boat but I can't find the thread, maybe he can refresh us,

I never had until I saw it in person (and in Texas),

it was a 190 boat, the water pooled under the exhaust manifold and cracked it, after that I think I read another member with the issue, he wasn't sure it when he had it on the trailer at an awkward slope that caused it ??

I was extremely skeptical until I saw it, and independent shop said they had seen it happen before in the same place,

I'll try to look for the post to link it up here,

I've got no fear of freezing on my MR1 though,

So was this water outside (on top) the engine, that pooled in a cavity just below the manifold, and ended up cracking it, or water that was actually inside the manifold?

it was internal, if I remember correctly it was the muffler "2" (reference #6 on the diagram) just under the manifold,

Ok, I can see how that would pool water if the boat is sitting at an angle, but I'm still a little surprised enough could be in there to crack it.

There was a post a while back about a couple going through a divorce and the wife got the boat. She didn't know anything about maintenance and supposedly both blocks were found to be cracked after the winter.

Here is the thread...... https://jetboaters.net/threads/winterize-question.24210/page-3#post-407604

I have never seen any other post about that happening.....

That being said, my last Yamaha was a 2014 SX192 and I kept it in a heated garage from day one. I just bought a '22 275SD that was supposed to be docked in Florida.... but Ivan destroyed our marina. Now the boat is staying in PA.... probably for 6 - 12 months until the marina rebuilds and reopens.

I've read all the posts about not needing to run antifreeze through it and it is a waist of time and money.... but for $4/gallon at WalMart, I'm going to do it. It's just cheap insurance on a $160K boat. My only problem is it is next to impossible to get to the hose from the jet pump to clamp it so I'm going to lose a lot out the jet.

Last edited:
My only problem is it is next to impossible to get to the hose from the jet pump to clamp it so I'm going to lose a lot out the jet.
Someone on here uses a catch tray like an oil drain pan and a submersible pump - the antifreeze can recycle through. But I wouldn't bother...I don't up here in Canada. I just start the engines on the trailer for 10 seconds to spit out the water from the water-box. The Yamaha engines and jetpumps are self-draining. For the batteries I have a Noco charger to keep them maintained over the winter.

There was a post a while back about a couple going through a divorce and the wife got the boat. She didn't know anything about maintenance and supposedly both blocks were found to be cracked after the winter.

Here is the thread...... https://jetboaters.net/threads/winterize-question.24210/page-3#post-407604

I have never seen any other post about that happening.....

That being said, my last Yamaha was a 2014 SX192 and I kept it in a heated garage from day one. I just bought a '22 275SD that was supposed to be docked in Florida.... but Ivan destroyed our marina. Now the boat is staying in PA.... probably for 6 - 12 months until the marina rebuilds and reopens.

I've read all the posts about not needing to run antifreeze through it and it is a waist of time and money.... but for $4/gallon at WalMart, I'm going to do it. It's just cheap insurance on a $160K boat. My only problem is it is next to impossible to get to the hose from the jet pump to clamp it so I'm going to lose a lot out the jet.

Not gonna lie, I find the circumstances surrounding that to be a bit suspicious.... My mind is thinking: bitter divorce, wife gets the boat her ex considered his, and next thing you know, BOTH engines are toast due to freezing when it's basically unheard of for these engines to have freeze damage?? I don't have time right now, but I'm going to read that thread in it's entirety.

Someone on here uses a catch tray like an oil drain pan and a submersible pump - the antifreeze can recycle through. But I wouldn't bother...I don't up here in Canada. I just start the engines on the trailer for 10 seconds to spit out the water from the water-box. The Yamaha engines and jetpumps are self-draining. For the batteries I have a Noco charger to keep them maintained over the winter.

Thanks for that confirmation!

I just ordered a Noco two bank charger abd it came today. I know it’s all self-draining….but it’s good to hear your experience in the great white north!

Last edited:
I leave my batteries in the boat and have a Noco 4 bank charger and a thru hull fitting. I just plug it in for the winter as well.

The above account of freezing is the first I've heard of it. The key is to rev it a few times at different angles. The last 3 years I started a new routine I am happy with. The last outing of the year I stop half-way up the ramp and have the wife rev it a couple of times and then open the drains. Then she revs it once more when we are flat. In the parking lot, I siphon all the oil out when it is good and hot. Then I take it back to the garage and when I get a chance, I take I change the filter, add oil, and change the plugs. I haven't had any issues. I think revving it on the ramp and then when level does a good job of water removal and removing the oil in the parking lot means I don't have to hook a hose up to it later.

The only thing I don't do that some people do is spray fogging oil in the intake to kill the engine.

The above account of freezing is the first I've heard of it. The key is to rev it a few times at different angles.
I would avoid revving the engines out of the water as there is no back-pressure in the jetpump. It's possible you could float the valves and cause damage if you rev it too high. I don't rev the engines, I just start them up on the trailer and without the back-pressure they run about 1800rpm which is fairly strong exhaust pressure. A lot of water is pushed out the exhaust ports. I do it twice over two days so any water can settle in the water-box for the second clearing. Winters are cold up north, and no issues with many jetskies that NEVER get their exhausts cleared and I've never heard of a freezing issue with these engines.
The only thing I don't do that some people do is spray fogging oil in the intake to kill the engine.
Never spray fog a fuel-injected engine - there are sensors in the intake path that can be fouled. Pull the plugs and spray the cylinders if you wish, but don't fog "till it dies" - that applies to older carburetor engines with no sensors. Having said that, I've never fogged an engine for winter storage (over 20 years of bikes and boats that are fuel-injected) as it's not really a long storage time. Winters are typically very dry up here so excessive rust/corrosion doesn't seem to be an issue, and the engines fire right up in the spring and clear any surface rust immediately. I'd be more concerned with saltwater deposits.

In the spring I will back-flush the pilot outlets with vinegar just before putting her in the water to ensure they're clear of mineral deposits. That's about it up here...keep it clean and add fuel stabilizer to the tank and run it through the system for a few minutes to protect the entire fuel line. What I do is treat the entire tank at the last fill up and then we can use the boat or park it if the weather turns (like this year), either way the fuel system is protected.

Change the oil every 100 hours, plugs every 200 or so, and you're good to go. These engines are very easy to maintain.
:)

20 years with a jet boat and never any freezing issues, and for many of those years my boat was stored in an unheated barn in Wisconsin. Was the admin for Yamahajetboaters.com and now here....so I've read a LOT of posts about these boats.

The only freeze damage I am certain has been due to freezing water has been in the towers. Quite a few examples of this.

20 years with a jet boat and never any freezing issues, and for many of those years my boat was stored in an unheated barn in Wisconsin. Was the admin for Yamahajetboaters.com and now here....so I've read a LOT of posts about these boats.

The only freeze damage I am certain has been due to freezing water has been in the towers. Quite a few examples of this.
I do recall seeing posts about burst tower tubes. Working in the steel industry, I’ve seen plenty of square tubing become nearly perfectly round from from this also.

As I recall yamaha engines are self draining. I’ve never read of one having freeze damage.

My experience from the 45th parallel, northern Vermont, is make sure to blow out the water boxes on the ramp after those last outings of the season. Don't wait and do it on a cold day in the driveway in November when the motors are cold. Made it thru 5 Vermont Winters with MR-1's with no issues. Made sure all water was drained from bilge area, under ski locker by jacking the bow up for a few days. Stored inside our unheated arena.

20170203_112043.jpg
Picture from Feb. 2017 before the mods began.

Last edited:
Back