• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Home automation dabblers

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A quick update. Got the electrician's bill for the extra 4 cat6/coaxial runs - $380. That was $95 for each extra run. Well worth the money and something I won't have to worry about later down the road.

Jim

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Peace of mind.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So I am an Apple guy and use HomeKit primarily. I just discovered HomeBridge.IO and man have I been missing out. I was able to connect my Ring camera and my MyQ garage door opening to HomeKit. Next up in the Swann security cameras. This is great because now I can add almost anything to HomeKit

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Home Bridge is great! As I had previously mentioned, I primarily use it to bring my pool and spa controls into HomeKit, adapt a Lutron fan control that is otherwise not compatible with HomeKit and bring my Ring camera in. I recently installed Home Bridge at the lake house to take control of my cameras (from various manufacturers) and stream them. There are a lot of modules for various devices, but those are the only ones I use with Home Bridge. Everything else is in Home Assistant.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
A friend has one (only has 2 sensors) and is happy with it. It figured out automatically what each device was.
I think that is another brand.

This one doesn't use AI to detect devices.

Took about 30 minutes to install. Now it is a waiting game, but the app seems to work well and as expected.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I think that is another brand.

This one doesn't use AI to detect devices.

Took about 30 minutes to install. Now it is a waiting game, but the app seems to work well and as expected.
Interesting...let us know what you think.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I used a mesh system initially but didn’t have the level of control I wanted over my network. I upgraded to Ubiquiti’s Unifi product line running a UDM with 4 UAP-FlexHD APs (one outside). All the AP are POE. It’s by far the best system I’ve ever had but it’s easy to get in over my head and mess things up if I’m not careful. I do recommend turning off auto-updates and controlling those yourself, especially if you’re signed up for their early access program.

I’m just technical enough to get myself in trouble (and I do more than I’d like to admit) but with some research and trial/error I figured out how to optimize in the WiFi channel and frequency, set up a VLAN for IoT devices, and a few other network controls that I’ve not seen a mesh able to do. However, it’s a fine line between fit for need and complete overkill 😁

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK...who has found a decent bluetooth remote replacement for this moronic Apple TV remote (my wife and I routinely say...."I hate this fucking remote" - who in their right mind would design a TV remote with no mute button.....one more reason I hate Apple).

In fact....perhaps I just need to dump the dumb apple TV (although we do enjoy its screen saver! LOL) and just get a Chromecast or something like that (or a new Smart TV)

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yes I'm a geek who loves TV, Audio and lighting!

My house:
  • 71 Lutron switches around house (70-80% of switches)
  • Echo device in most rooms
  • Ring cams and security
  • Some other switches
  • Logitech remotes (main one just died)
  • Most smart TV
  • Sony Amp with 2 zones, but only 7 channels (1100 watts)
  • Klipsch towers with 8" woofers, 12' sub (self powered), full surround, and outdoor speakers on porch and deck.
  • Wifi sprinklers
  • Wifi scale
  • Wifi thermostats
  • Google Mesh Wifi (if you don't have a mesh system get one!)
The Amp (Sony) can just about drive all of this. Its very clean litterly all the way to its max volume (which it spends a few hours at during New Years). But I have no easy volume control away from the Amp on my phone. I often need to raise or lower the porch volume depending on the party mood over time. I could get another Logitech, but surprised there aren't any internet controlled amps. Any other options?

The Ring, Echo and Lutrons are all working well together. For example I have lights come on when particular doors open (including garage doors). Room lights come on when you walk in and turn off with no motion (some). All main lights are voice controlled "Alexa turn on the lights" turns on the lights in the room you are in. "Alexa set lights to 25%...."its movie time.

Besides my Amp question.....what IOT devices have you bought and found you like.
Sprinkler controller is new for us, and does make it easier to delay watering.
I was all proud about my Sony wireless surround sound. Now I feel like a dinosaur. WTH. I do have motion sensor light switches throughout the house.. I have a Logitech wireless mouse, does that count? LOL

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian FWIW for one reason or another we've ended up with a Roku, a TiVo Stream, and an Apple TV remote. What a POS the Apple is! God, can SOMEONE tell me why Apple thinks having (n-5) buttons is always a good idea? Of the lot, the Roku is the easiest to use - dirt cheap to buy and it has a mute button!

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is dumb not having a mute button. In my experience I think it took Apple a long time to realize that the AppleTV is not a one user/viewer device. They just though “why wouldn’t you just pause the show” and admittedly streaming live programming wasn’t a thing then.

I upgraded to the new remote via buying a new Apple TV. My family just couldn’t stand the small slippery black remote and it’s “hidden” touchpad. While you can get just the remote it is not much more when the AppleTV is on sale.

If you’re not fully in the Apple ecosystem it certainly is less expensive to purchase a Roku or Amazon Fire device. I do think they are slower in the menu system, but I use them for secondary TVs, I’m not dropping $150-$180 on an AppleTV for a seldomly used TV.

OK...who has found a decent bluetooth remote replacement for this moronic Apple TV remote (my wife and I routinely say...."I hate this fucking remote" - who in their right mind would design a TV remote with no mute button.....one more reason I hate Apple).

In fact....perhaps I just need to dump the dumb apple TV (although we do enjoy its screen saver! LOL) and just get a Chromecast or something like that (or a new Smart TV)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

You need to get a programmable remote like one from Logitech. One remote does it all.

Not sure if this is accurate but I am reading that the apple remote can learn from another remote..... AppleTV can "learn" another IR remote volume function (via Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control > Learn New Device…).

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You need to get a programmable remote like one from Logitech. One remote does it all.

Not sure if this is accurate but I am reading that the apple remote can learn from another remote..... AppleTV can "learn" another IR remote volume function (via Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control > Learn New Device…).
Had a Logitech and it died. They are good, but expensive. Bought a Phillips universal remote for $30 on Amazon, and it sucks. Guess you get what you pay for.

I need to look into the new Apple TV remote.....but I fear it will still be minimalistic on the buttons??? The existing apple TV remote MAY learn.....but its not got the buttons to put any learning on....MORONIC.

Below is the new apple tv remote.....added a mute button! And a back button and moved voice button to the side. Still pretty minimalistic. I'd love to be able to program it more...so I probably should just buy another Logitech remote!

1643901415980.png

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Easy solution ..... get an Amazon Firestick 4k! They regularly go on sale for USD 30-35. Mute, volume buttons, one touch button for Netflix, Disney, Prime video, ...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love my Logitech and especially its connection with Alexa. I simply speak to alexa to do various tasks.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone use Insteon stuff? I have our outdoor and pool lights on their switches and they work well but I need to do a few more things around the house and they seem to be hard to find now. Not sure if it’s worth switching brands or if other brand switches might be compatible?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
How much adoption does Insteon have? It's been around almost 20 years and seems to have a slight advantage for lighting control. From an RF point of view, transmission of data through powerlines can cause some interference issues with speakers and other sensitive electronics.

I don't have any market data, but just a survey of friends & colleagues, very few people have/use Insteon.... most seem on Z-wave with Zigbee having been abandoned in the last 2-3 years.

I can foresee Matter coming online shortly and gradually taking over. I'm waiting to add any more devices to see what comes out this year.