• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydrojet Pro

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think it depends on the year of the boat if the gate opens up all the way on first detent. I think it was around 2012 when Yamaha made a change to the gate and they dubbed it the Thrust Directional Enhancer which basically opens the gate partially from reverse to fully opened, or 45 degrees approx if you want to think of it that way.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've not studied the new gates, but regardless, this product doesn't fit on the new gates per their website. And I can 100% confirm that a boat that has no TDE has gates that move 100% into forward or reverse before you can apply any thrust (unless of course you have a boat with a button on the binnacle that allows you to rev the engines without moving the gates--which many models have and some do not)

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Safety concern as well. Can you imagine accidentally kicking that fin where it comes to a point?!!! Ouch!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it depends on the year of the boat if the gate opens up all the way on first detent. I think it was around 2012 when Yamaha made a change to the gate and they dubbed it the Thrust Directional Enhancer which basically opens the gate partially from reverse to fully opened, or 45 degrees approx if you want to think of it that way.
Thank you, that is what I thought, started worrying about loosing my mind for a sec there...

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've not studied the new gates, but regardless, this product doesn't fit on the new gates per their website. And I can 100% confirm that a boat that has no TDE has gates that move 100% into forward or reverse before you can apply any thrust (unless of course you have a boat with a button on the binnacle that allows you to rev the engines without moving the gates--which many models have and some do not)
Thank you for clarifying that @Julian!

Well then... these new fins, fitting only the older models, seem rather useless.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only positive thing I can think of with the hydro fins is that in the event you are traveling at speed and you need to kill thrust to avoid an obstacle or boat for evasive maneuvers, the fins would immediately drop giving you a rudder effect at off power but at speed. Fins that can be locked in the down position also have this advantage like the Cobra Ultimatea. The TV's would take some time to come back from the retracted position I would imagine until water resistance drops low enough to be less force than the spring.

The way I see it, these hydro fins aren't really all that practical for low speed maneuvering, especially with a TDE year boat since the fins would not be in the water much at all to be of much help.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know I have a dog in the hunt here so my opinion might not be very valuable here, but here's what I can say with relative certainty.

At ultra low speeds, like in idle with the gates down there is not sufficient water flow across the fins to provide any real significant control. This product will only allow the fins to be down at neutral or reverse.

At forward idle when the gates are up you really need a fin down beneath the hull so that the solid uncavitated water can give the fin significant control. This product does not allow that.

At no wake speeds and in channels or long canals you need the fins down so you're not constantly oversteering. This product will pull its fins up at no wake speed and will dramatically reduce the fins effectiveness when it's needed most.

This new hydro jet design will not provide any real significant improvement over stock.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are some pics of my 2012 SX190 shift/reverse gate at various throttle positions (sorry for crappy pics, didn't have time to pull the boat out). These are to illustrate the earlier discussion of TDE and models (I was getting confused and needed to double check my memory). Learning something all the time here!

1. Reverse
upload_2016-6-5_23-39-1.png
2. Neutral
upload_2016-6-5_23-39-41.png
3. Forward - 1st Detent
upload_2016-6-5_23-41-41.png
4. Forward - 2nd Detent
upload_2016-6-5_23-43-17.png
5. Forward - WOT
upload_2016-6-5_23-43-38.png

--

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK I was confused also so I just went and took some pics of my jets. 2016 AR240
. 20160606_090431[1].jpg Both in Neutral

20160606_090533[1].jpg Starboard in No wake/1st detent, Port in forward

20160606_090628[1].jpg Port is 1st detent reverse, Starboard in full reverse.

Just thought I'd throw in my .02

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup that is how it is for every Yamaha from 2012 and newer. Good pics guys to help others understand when and how the TDE mode works. Here's the original Yamaha video showing how it works and as he mentions in the video, first detent in forward is the what engages the bucket to TDE mode, or half open if you want to simplify things.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup that is how it is for every Yamaha from 2012 and newer. Good pics guys to help others understand when and how TDE it works. Here's the original Yamaha video showing how it works and as he mentions in the video, first detent in forward is the what engages the bucket to TDE mode, or half open if you want to simplify things.

Thanks @haknslash , I tried to find this clip but couldn't, for the life of me. Also flipped through the service manual, but found nothing helpful.

My next issue is if the "no-wake" mode works (can be engaged) while throttles are engaged in the 2nd detent (or anything past the 1st really). Basically - with a gate fully opened. I think it does, but again I'm not confident before I check.

If it DOES NOT work in the 2nd (or past 1st - when fully opened) - that would have some obvious implications to using no-wake mode for long(ish) no wake zone crossings, as the lowered gate would rob forward thrust (steering enhancement notwithstanding).

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski how fast is your boat moving in no wake mode? Since I have aftermarket throttles, I don't have quite the same experience. At 2k rpm, no wake #3 I assume, I travel about 6mph with the buckets fully open.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski how fast is your boat moving in no wake mode? Since I have aftermarket throttles, I don't have quite the same experience. At 2k rpm, no wake #3 I assume, I travel about 6mph with the buckets fully open.
@Bill D Sounds about right. I am not overly concerned, just kind of like to know when is my no-wake also TDE mode (i.e. not a position that fully opens the bucket).

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bill D Sounds about right. I am not overly concerned, just kind of like to know when is my no-wake also TDE mode (i.e. not a position that fully opens the bucket).
Granted I don't have a boat yet but from my many hours and years of researching the Yamaha boats, it works like this for 2012+ boats (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

First detent = half open gate (TDE mode)
  • No Wake mode will give you 3 settings of different RPM's.
  • Hydro fins would barely be in the water, if at all.

Beyond first detent = fully open gate (no longer in TDE mode)
  • No Wake mode basically turns into "Cruise Assist" (above 3000 RPM) where you can set RPM's to adjust in ±8 increments of 100-200 RPMs from the initial RPM from which you set Cruise Assist. Anything below 3000 RPM deactivates Cruise Assist.
  • Hydro fins would be completely out of water.

Neutral or Reverse = gate closed
  • Hydro fins would be in the water.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great info and a "get to know your boat" lesson. For me anyway.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great info and a "get to know your boat" lesson. For me anyway.
Glad it could help clear it up for you. I just wish I had a boat to even use these features :(

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you are certainly doing your homework, LOL. I will be watching your next move, and good luck!

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@haknslash the offer for a free ride is still good! :D

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash the offer for a free ride is still good! :D
It's been hectic for me this year but if I'm down your way on a weekend this summer I may give you a shout. Thanks for keeping the offer open Bill! I imagine you boat primarily on the Black Warrior River or Lake Tuscaloosa?