• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

I’m thinking about selling my boat / getting out of boating

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My Son / only child is will be moving a away to college at the end of this Summer. Chances our this will be the last summer we take him and friends out on the boat. Additionally I’m sick and tired of towing it everywhere and getting it into its long term storage spot has and always will suck (1.5 inch clearance on both sides). That said, I’m thinking about selling my boat and all the related gear at the end of this season and may put out a feeler on Craigslist to guage interest. I have talked to my wife about this but not my son yet.

I will add that my wife and I just bought new waverunners so we don’t need a boat to get on the water. I like the fact that they are so much easier to tow and store. My wife and I are not into camping anymore and parking at hotels with wave runners in tow is a lot easier than doing so with a boat in tow.

I may miss being able to entertain a larger groups of peolple, i won’t miss being the organizer and sponsor or such gatherings, I will miss the shade the Bimini top provides. I’m still on the fence about this, especially since I have a relatively large collection of boating related stuff (e.g. 30+ neoprene vests, currently 5 towable tubes, 2 zup boards, etc) and my boat is as upgraded as I am willing to make it (new 13 speaker stereo system, new Bimini top, cobra jet fins, seadek throughout, etc.). Yesterday was the first i time I seriously considered selling it but I can tell that I’m leaning towards doing so.

I plan to buy another boat in the future, probably after my son is out of school, but it won’t be something I tow Around more like a cruiser that is always in the water that I can stay on for a few days (I.e., it has to have a/c, a tv, full head and shower, etc.).

Last edited:
If you do it, do it now with the market the way it is before it pops.

I saw go for it because in 5 to 10 years the skis will get old ( and so will you) so a pocket cruiser will be in order.
the other thing to consider is buying that pocket cruiser much sooner say in 2 years and then your son can use it to go out with his friends. Better of on boat for the summer than getting drunk and driving. I am Thinking of something similar for my kids. They can spend summers on a sailboat in Greece.….

[QUOTE="Betik, post: 545092, member: 6093". I am Thinking of something similar for my kids. They can spend summers on a sailboat in Greece.….
[/QUOTE]

And friends ????

Your friends, not the kid's friends

@Ronnie i say sell it, the boat is for enjoyment and as soon as the scales lean towards -not enjoyment spend your time/money on other things

I will always keep my boat in a slip. The hauling back and forth and fighting the craziness at a boat ramp sux. I use my skis way less than the boat because of this. Id rather just go jump on the boat and go out

I def see the allure of a cruiser that you can sleep on or go on trips. Right now my boat is perfect for being here in the river but i can see myself in a nordhavn down the road. Something you can 1/2 live on and go anywhere in the world you want to go.

My Son / only child is will be moving a away to college at the end of this Summer. Chances our this will be the last summer we take him and friends out on the boat. Additionally I’m sick and tired of towing it everywhere and getting it into its long term storage spot has and always will suck (1.5 inch clearance on both sides). That said, I’m thinking about selling my boat and all the related gear at the end of this season and may put out a feeler on Craigslist to guage interest. I have talked to my wife about this but not my son yet.

I will add that my wife and I just bought new waverunners so we don’t need a boat to get on the water. I like the fact that they are so much easier to tow and store. My wife and I are not into camping anymore and parking at hotels with wave runners in tow is a lot easier than doing so with a boat in tow.

I may miss being able to entertain a larger groups of peolple, i won’t miss being the organizer and sponsor or such gatherings, I will miss the shade the Bimini top provides. I’m still on the fence about this, especially since I have a relatively large collection of boating related stuff (e.g. 30+ neoprene vests, currently 5 towable tubes, 2 zup boards, etc) and my boat is as upgraded as I am willing to make it (new 13 speaker stereo system, new Bimini top, cobra jet fins, seadek throughout, etc.). Yesterday was the first i time I seriously considered selling it but I can tell that I’m leaning towards doing so.

I plan to buy another boat in the future, probably after my son is out of school, but it won’t be something I tow Around more like a cruiser that is always in the water that I can stay on for a few days (I.e., it has to have a/c, a tv, full head and shower, etc.).
I hear you. It's a bummer, tough decision, either way.

Hey, on the bright side - you have friends on the east coast, if you ever venture out this way, I'll take you out riding here, anytime.

--

And didn't I just see a brand new tube you posted???? (Addict like me!)

I have to admit, trailering a boat around dealing with storage can be a PITA. I always promised myself I would by another boat before I retired and I did. It was on my bucket list because I always had boats when I was younger. I've had the boat for 6 months, and find my self asking, what were you thinking? Not sure how long I'm going to have this boat. The grandkids are more interested in their Ipads then going out on the boat.

Most of the reason you want to sell are why we have our boat in a slip.....so much less hassle! But much cheaper here in NC I'm sure.
I must admit I too would be out of boating If I was not on a lift right outside my house. The towing and boat ramps are crazy and my kids are all over the US now............. so its just me the wife and golden retriever. Lot of great memory's of all the different lakes and vacations with the kids made it worth it.

Good Luck on the next chapter

I am lucky I am unspoiled. Boat on an empty river. Empty ramp. Maybe 3 times a season now. Yea, I should sell too but it's paid for and when we do go, it is turn the key and take off. BUt if I were you? Sell now before th emarket turns....and it will turn in a year or so when dummies who bought boats during the pandemic realize they don't use them! Case in point. My buddy bought a nice pontoon for 14k pre pandemic. Sold it for 19k last month. Didn't use it much. Made a tidy profit and said he's getting a Yamaha when the used market/gas price increase/bad economy rears its ugly head within a year....

Trailering and launching are huge PITA. But for some reason, I enjoy parts of it. Maybe the skill or challenge needed especially as I am a single launcher. Maybe someday it will get old.

Trailering and launching are huge PITA. But for some reason, I enjoy parts of it. Maybe the skill or challenge needed especially as I am a single launcher. Maybe someday it will get old.
Same here but also I travel to different places to launch I don’t boat in same waterways

I know what you mean @Ronnie Part of me wants to sell our boat too. But my 3 kids (now all in college), still look forward to our summer lake trips. So for now, we’re keeping her. Good luck with your decision.

I just spoke to my son about a few this, he would like me to keep the boat for his future use, of course. My wife and I listed a bunch of reasons to sell it this morning. I think I’m going to list it at the end of July for some crazy price (or trade for a 7th generation corvette convertible) that includes everything. I will even propose a bundled price/trade to include the tow vehicle.

If I don’t get the price I want I will hold on to the boat until we stop using it. I promised my wife long ago that we would not be a couple that has a boat deteriorating in the driveway unused.

Back