• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet boating in Oahu Hawaii... bad idea?

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I just received orders to Hawaii and I am trying to determine whether to ship my boat (2015 242 Limited S) there and keep it stored on base for use while on the island or pay to keep it in Storage for two to three years. Obviously, the thought of putting it in storage breaks my heart but I also am aware that it isn’t an Ocean boat and would be limited to the sandbars and “bay” areas. The cost of storage or shipping the vessel would be about the same. Selling is an option in theory but really not what we wanna do either.

Anyone have any insight or experience or recommendations? Thanks in advance...

DJ

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I just received orders to Hawaii and I am trying to determine whether to ship my boat (2015 242 LS) there and keep it stored on base for use while on the island or pay to keep it in Storage for two to three years. Obviously, the thought of putting it in storage breaks my heart but I also am aware that it isn’t an Ocean boat and would be limited to the sandbars and “bay” areas. The cost of storage or shipping the vessel would be about the same. Selling is an option in theory but really not what we wanna do either.

Anyone have any insight or experience or recommendations? Thanks in advance...

DJ
Paging @rkim808

Thank you for your service

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a fellow vet I would be glad to take your boat for the 2-3 years you'll be away. :)

I've been using my SX230 in the ocean for the last 8 years with no problems. Hawaii does get much bigger surf though. When we get rough conditions here we just head for the bays.

Thank you for your service.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I lived in Hawaii (1991-1995) on Oahu - Kaneohe and near Kailua (windward side). I had a friend who had a fishing boat, and he rarely took it out. I scuba dived several locations on Oahu, and the only place I would feel safe on a small boat would be Pearl Harbor and the fairly protected areas just outside of Pearl Harbor. The water gets deep quickly, and it is often cool below 15 feet. I never saw many people out in small boats anywhere; I mostly saw boats docked. If I were in your position, I would sell the boat.

Also just a personal opinion, everything is difficult and expensive in Hawaii. Gas prices were extremely high when I was there (about 1/3 more), and I doubt they have improved. However, check with current or more recent residents to get the best advice.

On the positive side, we enjoyed out time in Hawaii, and we did all of the things we wanted to do on all of the islands.

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all for your support. I was fortunate to have been stationed in Florida in the panhandle area prior to the DC area with our boat so I feel comfortable with the boat with salt weather usage but know how dangerous the Ocean can be without an intercostal waterway to seek refuge in.

I am also unsure if Hawaii (Oahu offers adequate area for boating for our boat. I have never been to Hawaii before and am not sure if I will be able to travel there for a “recon” before I need to make the decision. Thanks again for your support and replies

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in the process of moving to the Big Island (we are here right now getting the wife settled in). I will be shipping my boat over, especially after talking to @rkim808 - I can't wait to get it here, the water today looked perfect!

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kaneohe Bay would be a fun spot for a Yamaha, but as a military member you'll also have access to the boat rentals at the Marine base there. Hawaii Kai has suitable water for a small boat as well. Venturing further out would be very weather dependent of course...

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm in the process of moving to the Big Island (we are here right now getting the wife settled in). I will be shipping my boat over, especially after talking to @rkim808 - I can't wait to get it here, the water today looked perfect!
My wife is from Waimea, the Big Island, Hawaii. If you ever visit Parker Ranch, be sure to tell them Willow said Hello, or at least her husband did. If you are there and your car needs gas, please buy it from the Shell station. It's a "Long Trail" for us to get back there, ignore the beer can. Until then, this is our little piece of Hawaii nei...

20190728_191238.jpg

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all for your support. I was fortunate to have been stationed in Florida in the panhandle area prior to the DC area with our boat so I feel comfortable with the boat with salt weather usage but know how dangerous the Ocean can be without an intercostal waterway to seek refuge in.

I am also unsure if Hawaii (Oahu offers adequate area for boating for our boat. I have never been to Hawaii before and am not sure if I will be able to travel there for a “recon” before I need to make the decision. Thanks again for your support and replies
Is it possible, @DJ Bellin to get to your assigned duty station, without boat, assess the boating possibilities and have your boat shipped if you like what you see? You could have your shipping plans in place, then pull the trigger from Hawaii, or not, depending on what you find. You might want to take the suggestion of a rental or talk to other boating service members before deciding.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Weebs74

we have 5 members on Oahu, look under the members tab and then zoom in on the members map,

you can use the @ function to Ping them,

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As former Marine and current jetboater, the question to bring or store a boat for a tour at K-Bay, is a 'no-brainer' for me. YES, bring!
Here's why:
-I am very comfortable on boats. Whole life. Sailing, power, oceans, rough inlets,..., and my family is mostly completely comfortable too.
-I have friends of friends (Marines) living in Lanikai (Just S of KBay) and see pics of him and friends at "the sandbar" all the time. Looks awesome!! (some pics below). Have asked for the grid coordinates of this sandbar...
62438842_10217746456086713_2037460746383654912_n.jpg65770747_10217880897247658_1951574306840379392_o.jpg67623581_10218155661836601_4642533427029999616_n.jpg

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would be a great idea to take the boating class at the Marine base, even if you bring your own boat. (The class is required to rent boats from the base.) You learn a lot about Kaneohe Bay and the sand bar, including an orientation ride out to the sand bar. I took the class a couple of years ago and it would be invaluable to someone new to the area. The class is specific to Kaneohe Bay which has a number of hazards. (Easily circumnavigated if you know them.) There might be a class out of Pearl Harbor as well.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As former Marine and current jetboater, the question to bring or store a boat for a tour at K-Bay, is a 'no-brainer' for me. YES, bring!
Here's why:
-I am very comfortable on boats. Whole life. Sailing, power, oceans, rough inlets,..., and my family is mostly completely comfortable too.
-I have friends of friends (Marines) living in Lanikai (Just S of KBay) and see pics of him and friends at "the sandbar" all the time. Looks awesome!! (some pics below). Have asked for the grid coordinates of this sandbar...
View attachment 102305View attachment 102306View attachment 102307
There it is, right in the middle of Kaneohe Bay:

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.02.47 PM.png

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @DJ Bellin sorry so late went out yesterday on a dive mish🤣. First of all don’t let anybody tell u that ur Yammy wasn’t meant for the Ocean! U will be stationed on Oahu, and u would regret not bringing it guaranteed. Kaneohe Bay is right there and launching from the base is easy and super convenient, cause He’eia Kea Boat Ramp is CRAZY especially on the weekends. Anything I can kokua(help) u with, please let me know. Get it packed up and shipped out!🤙🏽