• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it worth the investment to buy radial tires for my trailer before the trip? I'm traveling around 1700miles round trip. I have a 16 242x with bias ply tires that seem to vibrate
Jus my opinion, as long as the tires aren't very old/not many miles you should be fine. Biggest thing is to keep them properly inflated to specs & don't drive in excessive speeds. The tires you have are only rated up to 65 mph.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm living dangerously. Im on my original tires (except one that was shredded last year). But I got a pair of new fenders. I was checking regularly but At about 1000 miles this trip I saw a few missing nuts/bolts. I changed out all serrated washer/nuts with nylocs and replaced missing bolts. Its holding together fine now.

I think a lot of the original problem was poor choice of fasteners - they loosened up, caused vibration, etc..

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone at Bahia Mar Saturday and/or Sunday and looking to wander some may consider going out Port Everglades and heading down on the ocean side to Haulover Cut. Get a small taste of the ocean if nothing else. There is a nice sandbar just inside the cut. You can return the same way or take an 1 1/2 hour cruise back up the ICW.
Shuttling some Boy Scouts from Stilsville to Matheson Marina Sunday morning then heading to Haulover are 1PM. There is usually a nice assortment of Yamahas at Haulover.
Safe passage to all going to Bimini!!!!!!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our boats will be heavily loaded with food and supplies and it will be the first time in the ocean for many of us. I recommend sticking to the inter coastal until it is time to head to Bimini.

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the ICW at the entrance to the New River there is also a sandbar where you can hang out. Maybe a 15-20 minute ride minimum wake from Bahia Mar.

Water Girl

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fingers crossed this weather holds for us. My dad texted me today and was like "did ya hear about the tropical storm in Bermuda July 10-13?"
Thanks dad haha.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fingers crossed this weather holds for us. My dad texted me today and was like "did ya hear about the tropical storm in Bermuda July 10-13?"
Thanks dad haha.
ABC news just talked about it also...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is some good info on 94L. https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/94l-central-atlantic-develops-closed-surface-circulation

If it were to hit Bermuda that would great for us since Bermuda is a thousand miles away.

What concerns me is the much more likely scenario that we are going to have a rough crossing to Bimini. Not impassable water for our boats but the kind of water where it would be easy to make a mistake. I am hopeful that the forecast will improve but currently it is similar to the return crossing in 2016. Fortunately all of our group leaders have experienced similar water which gives me confidence but I would prefer to have such a challenge on the return.

On the positive side the trends suggest that you will have a smoothish return crossing.

IMG_2876.PNG

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So those were good conditions ?
It was rough but everyone had acquired experience while in Bimini so no one had any problems. I was able to run low low 20s without pain without trim tabs or up to 30 with trim tabs deployed.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Keep in mind that the 2.2' seas on last years return were following seas and Monday's forecast is hitting us head on.

as long as we don't have water like 2015, i'll be fine...

Jason Winn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Jason Winn has registered to captain Jets Becuz with a crew of 3 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Austin TX.

The crew is described as: Me, 44 year old male. My wife, 46 year old female. My friend, 35 year old male.

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2017-registration.6/respond

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Ok I think I have been lucky the last two years Although annoying, I didn't think either crossing there or back were bad
I encountered scarier water over on the Tampa side one year and one time during a storm crossing Lake George (not the ocean but scary as hell during a storm and I don't scare easily)
But then again skis are different then a boat
The guys from the Jax group just returned in insane conditions, I probally would have waited that one out and stayed an extra night or two .-

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Last edited:

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
So on a lighter note
For you return vacationers.....
What is your favorite highlight of going to Bimini?
Mine is Honeymoon Harbor hanging out with the rays and sharks IMG_5044.JPG

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as long as we don't have water like 2015, i'll be fine...
2015 wasn't really that bad it was probably around 3ft at 4 seconds even though that wasn't the forecast. It wasn't fun but the group should have still been able to run around 25 easily the entire crossing. We ran about 28 on our crossing two weeks ago in 2.2 at 4 seconds and I think most in our group would say we were taking it easy as we could have pushed a 32-35 mph pace. I agree @Valerie skis are a different beast then the boats. I'm good in the big water 2.2 at 4 seconds I could have pulled 35 mph on the crossing we hit a spot between West End and Spanish Cay that was probably 1.5ft at about 2 seconds for about 30-40 miles and that section sucked on the ski it was a struggle to keep a 25 mph pace but the boats due to the smaller wave size and trim tabs could easily run 35 mph.