• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crazy events and glad that everyone seems accounted for. Need to hear more on @swatski and he should be kept under close watch for concussion if he really got whacked unconscious?
He had a minor impact from the tower but being the superhero that he is he continued to navigate and cross heavy seas with one hand while holding the tower up with the other.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So what kind of tower broke? one of the older aluminum ones or one of the newer forward swept ones?
Swatski's tower is the one that broke (an AR 240), and I honestly have to say it broke because of a very poor design. To think that two threaded bolts are all that is needed to hold up hundreds of pounds of tower when waves are considered is just plain wrong. These towers should be through bolted into solid metal in the base (as the 242X tower is). Swatski's tower stripped out both tower "knobs" and the based threads. If there had been a through bolt this could never have happened. I've been working with him on ways we can gerry rig his tower to return, and honestly there is no way to do this without a drill press and some through bolts. Swatski was not the only one dealing with tower knobs that pulled out....this proves the point....and demonstrates the poor design. Thank God he has a hard head and shoulder....yes it hit him in the head (he called it a glancing blow) and then the shoulder. He is very lucky to be with us still! The tower wires that hold the tower once folded down both snapped like guitar strings at a metal concert....

All that said, @swatski and his wife are handling it very well.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Doesn't surprise me sad to say. The newer forward swept towers found of all the AR's no matter the size as they all share the same XTP design leave a lot to be desired in terms of being a stout and robust design IMO. I have a thread posted on here where my tower has chipped the paint and I'm certain it's because the tower has some play (maybe in the thread engagement) that allows it to move if hitting waves. If you look close in my pics you'll see the threads don't look the greatest. I've heard mine make sounds when hitting a big wake head on and I have the chipped paint on my base to prove it moves. The little metal backing plate tabs inside also are why I wouldn't pull a big tube from the AR towers. I just wouldn't trust the tower to a sudden big blow or force. The 242X series may be built more robust since it's a much larger tower. Personally I would prefer a locking pin and gas strut along with a solid backing plate support but I know that would increase cost a lot.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All - we have no wifi in our condo. And I see I have a lot to catch up on, LOL.

We are all good, and thank you everyone for your concern, really appreciate it.

For now I want to say the quality of people in this whole group and their commitment to each other is beyond what I could imagine.

Starting with @Majorsmackdown lending @Glen his trailer, to @Betik, @Julian, @ThatJeepGuy and others running gas to stranded boats, @MrMoose doubling back several times to check on people, and then those helping me make my boat seaworthy again here (thank you @jaburt and @Julian!).
But especially to @Bruce for holding it all together and taking care of everyone!

What an amazing experience, camaraderie, and spirit. So proud to be a member of this group!

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski's tower is the one that broke (an AR 240), and I honestly have to say it broke because of a very poor design. To think that two threaded bolts are all that is needed to hold up hundreds of pounds of tower when waves are considered is just plain wrong. These towers should be through bolted into solid metal in the base (as the 242X tower is). Swatski's tower stripped out both tower "knobs" and the based threads. If there had been a through bolt this could never have happened. I've been working with him on ways we can gerry rig his tower to return, and honestly there is no way to do this without a drill press and some through bolts. Swatski was not the only one dealing with tower knobs that pulled out....this proves the point....and demonstrates the poor design. Thank God he has a hard head and shoulder....yes it hit him in the head (he called it a glancing blow) and then the shoulder. He is very lucky to be with us still! The tower wires that hold the tower once folded down both snapped like guitar strings at a metal concert....

All that said, @swatski and his wife are handling it very well.
@swatski and @Julian the ferry offers freight carrying you guys can ship the tower back state side on it if needed. If I read this right new bolt wont help as the threads on both ends are stripped but if that is not the case let me know and I will go pull the bolts from my tower tomorrow and see if I can get them sent there before you guys leave to get back across.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I hope nobody is up and to monitor @1948Isaac and my crossing tomorrow morning as we're looking to leave around 6ish. In case you are and interested, my tracking link is below. What I do hope is to give some of you ocean front jetboaters a nice drive by as you have your morning coffee.

https://share.garmin.com/BAHAMAS

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Well I hope nobody is up and to monitor @1948Isaac and my crossing tomorrow morning as we're looking to leave around 6ish. In case you are and interested, my tracking link is below. What I do hope is to give some of you ocean front jetboaters a nice drive by as you have your morning coffee.

Safe travels I hope Mother Nature is kind to you guys this morning!!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

They are off, going 24 mph so conditions not to bad. Safe travels.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They are off, going 24 mph so conditions not to bad. Safe travels.
Beautiful.

Still holding 24 mph.

Water looks as smooth as glass on this side-

Entry to Sands b/w 9-9:30.

We might need to make a racket!

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why do I see avg 13 mph ?

I must be doing something wrong. It shows my trip that went from 6:50 - 10:50 am covering 59.78 miles averaging only 5.82 mph ????

That's not right.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why do I see avg 13 mph ?

I must be doing something wrong. It shows my trip that went from 6:50 - 10:50 am covering 59.78 miles averaging only 5.82 mph ????

That's not right.
It takes the trip time and the distance traveled to come up with that figure. Since he actually turned it on at 5:45am but didn't pull out of haulover till 6:40 its counting that hour he didn't move in that calculation.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put in filters using the first point in the ocean... it didn't seem to consider that when calculating avg speed. Where then do you guys see the 24mph avg ? Or do we have to calc that ourselves?

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We ran out of gas twice and drifted in the middle of the ocean for 5 hours not really sure how much more I can jinx myself lol
I put in filters using the first point in the ocean... it didn't seem to consider that when calculating avg speed. Where then do you guys see the 24mph avg ? Or do we have to calc that ourselves?
you can click on each individual waypoint for more info

Hamp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good morning all! Eric here, I would like to extend my thanks to everyone for checking up on me. I've been reading up on the post and I'm happy to hear that everyone is safe. My friend that was with me got bumped around a bit and decided to take a flight back home. Me...like you all, I'm still in the fight and on my way to Bimini by boat, just not mines! Lol. I'm taking the Ferry and will be arriving about 11 am. My boat (Island Girl)... let's just say she didn't like the landings! Tim H, thanks for everything. I would love to partake in some of the activities on the water and would love to accompany anyone who is would accept me. Again, thanks and see everyone soon.