• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ltd SE vs X

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So... not currently looking, and just for arguments sake

What are the benefits of the 242 X over Ltd SE in the last couple years (let’s say pre-‘19)? Is the ballast setup worth it? Is there more to it?

Seems like users are really installing some advanced (and less electronic) setups after market. (@swatski ). And, with the new deck bag, maybe all that ballast isn’t needed in the first place (@jcyamaharider )

Same goes for the stereo... if you’re going to upgrade either way, why pay for the X if it even has a better stereo? Does it?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... not currently looking, and just for arguments sake

What are the benefits of the 242 X over Ltd SE in the last couple years (let’s say pre-‘19)? Is the ballast setup worth it? Is there more to it?

Seems like users are really installing some advanced (and less electronic) setups after market. (@swatski ). And, with the new deck bag, maybe all that ballast isn’t needed in the first place (@jcyamaharider )

Same goes for the stereo... if you’re going to upgrade either way, why pay for the X if it even has a better stereo? Does it?
I think you are right about the ballast, although the factory is probably okay after adding the custom swim deck bag and the wedge. Both X and LSE have other things worth an upgrade from lower models like the big tower/bimini (definitely worth it, IMO), E-throttles (probably worth it, although cruise control used to have some issues).

--

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Both X and LSE have other things worth an upgrade from lower models like the big tower/bimini (definitely worth it, IMO), E-throttles (probably worth it, although cruise control used to have some issues).

--
Right. Here, I’m mostly curious between these 2 models specifically. Which seem to be very similar excepting the ballast and stereo upgrades? Is the price between them that close, as well? I admit that I’ve never looked.

In generalities:
AR = SX plus tower
Ltd S = AR plus fit and finish upgrades, stereo (swim deck speakers)
Ltd SE = Ltd S plus bigger Bimini, e throttle
X = Ltd SE plus ballast another stereo upgrade

Does the SE have the sound bar?

Edit: Also given are differences in the tower between AR / S / SE-X (which are the same right?)

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like I said over Labor Day just go ahead sell your 210 and by a 240 you won't regret it

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Like I said over Labor Day just go ahead sell your 210 and by a 240 you won't regret it
Lol!!!

You must not have read the first sentence of my original post.... where I said “not currently looking”.

I have enough of an impulse control problem without all you enablers. :D (Not to mention my wife would have a fit)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So for me it was not having to install ballast AGAIN, I love the e throttles, the speed control on our boat is very nice and easy to use, the tower locking is MUCH better, did I mention I love the e throttles. :D I really haven't had to do any major changes. I would have upgraded my stereo in any boat that I have purchased.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right. Here, I’m mostly curious between these 2 models specifically. Which seem to be very similar excepting the ballast and stereo upgrades? Is the price between them that close, as well? I admit that I’ve never looked.

In generalities:
AR = SX plus tower
Ltd S = AR plus fit and finish upgrades, stereo (swim deck speakers)
Ltd SE = Ltd S plus bigger Bimini, e throttle
X = Ltd SE plus ballast another stereo upgrade

Does the SE have the sound bar?

Edit: Also given are differences in the tower between AR / S / SE-X (which are the same right?)
I always looked at it slightly different.

AR=SX+tower
LtdS = SX + Tower + Interior upgrades
X = LtdS + ballast

Then the E-series could be had on either LtdS or X depending on if you wanted ballast or interior upgrades.

Do they make a 242X NON E-series?

I always liked the simplicity of the AR myself. With the only options I would want from the LtdS or X being the solar panels, giant bimini top, and rear speakers. I don't really want the ballast or the E-throttles (mostly due to the electric actuators on the buckets, the drive-by-wire system sounds neat otherwise)

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do they make a 242X NON E-series?
Short answer- No!

The features are similar to a vehicle and the same mindset, once you have them they are hard to get rid of! And, much like buying a car we justify either for or against it; too much electronics to fail, new set up, too expense to potentially repair, first year, etc. etc. Again, the feature packages are similar to a vehicle, basic package, "sight & sound" package, or premium/platinum package.

Once you go to an E-Series, you'll never go back, that's why they wrap all of those features into that package! In my opinion, it's worth every damn penny though!

I drove my buddies 2008 SX230 and was like, WTH... Where is throttle sync, touchscreen, depth, water temp, etc, etc. You get spoiled with the new boat packages!

Hard to go backwards...

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I shopped/compared these two models and what it boiled down to (LTD SE vs X)

X = stereo upgrade, flashier graphics and ballast

My dealer wanted $10k more for the X. :eek:

For us, the LTD SE was the sweet spot - definitely wanted the larger Bimini, solar panel, rear speakers+head unit, and new Connext dash (vs AR). I didn't know it at the time but the E-throttle is an understated feature. You have to drive one to appreciate it. As @sofakingbig said once you use it, it is impossible to consider something less. We have no regrets saving the extra $$.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is the height on trailer with tower folded really 10’ on the 242SE and 242X? That’s what the specs show, and a height of 10’11” when not folded.

I thought I saw that big frame adjusts too, to help lower the tower further?

Any thoughts whether either of those current model boats would fit under a 9’ door?

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is the height on trailer with tower folded really 10’ on the 242SE and 242X? That’s what the specs show, and a height of 10’11” when not folded.

I thought I saw that big frame adjusts too, to help lower the tower further?

Any thoughts whether either of those current model boats would fit under a 9’ door?
I have a 10'3" door and I barely get my 2018 SE to fit with the tower folded down and manually articulating the Bimini to clear the top of the door.

I do not see how it would be possible to fit through a 9' door; sorry to be bearer of bad nees. :depressed:

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 10'3" door and I barely get my 2018 SE to fit with the tower folded down and manually articulating the Bimini to clear the top of the door.

I do not see how it would be possible to fit through a 9' door; sorry to be bearer of bad nees. :depressed:
It is a PITA to have to stop, fold down tower and have someone stand in boat to manuever the bimini while I back the boat in. The whole process is reversed when taking the boat out of the stall.

Don't recommend it, I miss the days of being able to pull the boat out / put it away on my own. That being said I do not regret the decision to buy the SE vs the AR. On the water the larger bimini is awesome - worth the on-trailer hassle!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the info!! Not a deal breaker, but definitely more convenient. Just means I would have to store it in my dads shed instead of mine. Which is about 10 miles away.

Still in the dreaming stages anyway. :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't know it at the time but the E-throttle is an understated feature. You have to drive one to appreciate it. As @sofakingbig said once you use it, it is impossible to consider something less. We have no regrets saving the extra $$.
If you are into water sports the speed control , (drive control) is a must have it makes it safer and more enjoyable. Having the ballast was not a huge factor but now it opens up more options to try out wake surfing . Speed control can be added but having it built in is very nice feature

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I bought a 2019 se wife wanted the 242x, difference I saw at the boat show berween the 2

Both have all wetsound equipment with fusion head unit. The x had tower speakers and a sound bar plus 2amps versus 1 for the se.
Ballast for the x versus none for the se, I have mi own.
The x has the jets tuned and pointed inward to shape the wake.
The x had 3 tone color interior and more graphics.
X had sea deck not so for the se.

You still have to spend and extra grand for the wave shaper.

So is it worth the extra 10k, not to me but to someone else yes, ie my wife, but she ain’t paying for it. Lol.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So is it worth the extra 10k, not to me but to someone else yes, ie my wife, but she ain’t paying for it. Lol.
It isn't often that the wife wants the more expensive boat with the bigger stereo, and the husband says "no".....:wideyed:

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
lol, already ordered REV10 $1k a pair a pair of ws 6.5. she will have a better stereo for under 2k, oin a serious note, we are loving the 242 se, problem with the x is everyone else will enjoy it but me cuz no one else knows how to drive it. :)