• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Who had a better ride? the AR240 or the R5? My mother in law has an R7 -- Nice boat, but I Find myself enjoying my boat in a different way. Dont get me wrong, if someone handed me the keys to a cobalt, I would take it. :)
I was on both boats on the trip and all I can really say is they are both very different boats. I thought they both handled well you can tell the R5 is a heavier more sturdy boat. The 2015 AR240 really did impress me though it handled it a lot better then I thought it would going in there is a big difference in the way the new hull design handles this stuff compared to my 2011 SX240. I was on the fence on getting a new boat in 2-3 years and really was not expecting it to be another Yamaha but after this trip is maybe another one. Andy's Cobalt was really nice with a great finish def better then Yamahas but I still love the no out drive thing of a jet.
The R5 definitely rode a lot better than my '07 SX230, I didn't ride in @1948Isaac boat in rough waves so I can't compare between our boats. The one minor disappointment of my R5 was the amount of spray we got over the sides at times. I would have thought with the higher free boards it would have been a relatively dry ride but it wasn't. What I noticed most improved about the R5 ride was that it rarely slapped the water, it mostly came down relatively gentle.

I agree with @robert843 about the jet drive, if Cobalt offered a jet drive with the right motor combination I would purchase one. The only time I got stuck in Exuma was due to me miss reading my GPS and if I had a jet drive I would have made it through because the hull the of the boat didn't stop us, it was the out drive. Cobalt makes a claim that out drives can avoided underwater debris better than jets, http://www.cobaltboats.com/why_cobalt/sterndrive_vs_jetdrive/debris.html, I consider this utter Bullsh!t, these boats don't have forward looking depth indication so how would you know unless you are going at no wake speed and had a look out.

Right now I still happy with having the out drive because the wife can handle the Cobalt much easier than she could handle the Yamaha, happy wife happy life!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The R5 definitely rode a lot better than my '07 SX230, I didn't ride in @1948Isaac boat in rough waves so I can't compare between our boats. The one minor disappointment of my R5 was the amount of spray we got over the sides at times. I would have thought with the higher free boards it would have been a relatively dry ride but it wasn't. What I noticed most improved about the R5 ride was that it rarely slapped the water, it mostly came down relatively gentle.

I agree with @robert843 about the jet drive, if Cobalt offered a jet drive with the right motor combination I would purchase one. The only time I got stuck in Exuma was due to me miss reading my GPS and if I had a jet drive I would have made it through because the hull the of the boat didn't stop us, it was the out drive. Cobalt makes a claim that out drives can avoided underwater debris better than jets, http://www.cobaltboats.com/why_cobalt/sterndrive_vs_jetdrive/debris.html, I consider this utter Bullsh!t, these boats don't have forward looking depth indication so how would you know unless you are going at no wake speed and had a look out.

Right now I still happy with having the out drive because the wife can handle the Cobalt much easier than she could handle the Yamaha, happy wife happy life!
I will agree we only took a few pounds on the return from Bimini to Ft Lauderdale at a speeds of 30+ mph the whole way on @Andy S boat and only one that was really hard and based on the impressions I have from others it sounded like it was rougher then that in the Yamahas. The one hard one we took on @Andy S boat was almost like a rouge wave definitely the biggest one we experienced on the return @Andy S saw it last second as i felt him throttle down but it was to late and we smacked good but i will say the most impressive part of our trip even with the seas we saw was no one ever took a wave over the bow on a boat. I'm certain the hard wave we took on @Andy S boat would have come over the front of my 2011 sx240. To give you an idea both skis took waves at some point so hard we had to stop as it knocked the wind out of them those guys were troopers.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is my video compilation of the pictures that Cindy and I took of our trip.

Richard Lajoie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
that video was amazing. Wow, How far from Bimini to Nassau and then to Exuma, awesome trip. I would like to do the same. Send me details.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
that video was amazing. Wow, How far from Bimini to Nassau and then to Exuma, awesome trip. I would like to do the same. Send me details.
Fort Lauderdale to Bimini is 60 miles, Bimini to Chub is 90 miles, Chub to Nassau is 40 miles, Nassau to Staniel Cay is 90 miles, these are close enough numbers to give you a good idea.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
X2 love the rod holders, been looking for that. Please share where you got them and type, please.

Great videos. One day im going.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
X2 love the rod holders, been looking for that. Please share where you got them and type, please.

Great videos. One day im going.
Yes! Yet another endorsement for @1948Isaac ....I think everyone wants those fishing rod holders!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That big mama pig was no joke, she had a temper too.... Good Times
She jump up on Cindy and left a nasty bruise on her arm, big mama didn't like it when Cindy stopped feeding her.