• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mid Size SUV recommendations?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmm, ok. I still don't see it. I will take your word for it. That seems pretty cheap for a Tesla!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reading on the Tesla model X forum, there has been no price announcement but the majority seem to put a realistic base price for the model X with the bigger batteries at or around $80,000. Compare that to a nicely equipped gasoline powered mid size suv priced at or around $40,000 - $45,000 that difference of $35,000 to $40,000 in initial cost is huge. And with the average cost of gas for a year being somewhere between $3,000 and $3,500 it would take 10 years to break even between the two, not to mention we still have to add in the cost of replacement batteries in the Tesla. I don't think any fully electric vehicle is going to go "mainstream" until the price point becomes more in line with their gas powered counterparts. I know the price of cool isn't cheap, but double seems crazy to me. JMO

Ordinarily I'd agree with you and actually, when it comes to most of the other "Green" offerings available I do agree with you, BUT...and it's a big BUT,
The Tesla's are really fast effing cars and I like FAST!
Besides, they provide some interesting math to ponder and they "Guarantee Resale Value" - these aren't your average cars for average buyers - neither is their competition - upper end Audi, Mercedes, BMW all cost more than the everyday vehicle.

I'll get 10k from state and fed govt. to cover the down payment and more importantly, Los Angeles has the worst GD traffic in the country and this car gets me in the carpool lane without a passenger! That there is worth the price of admission to me. Heck, I really considered buying a Prius for that reason alone.

http://www.teslamotors.com/true-cost-of-ownership
http://gas2.org/2014/08/12/morgan-stanley-predicts-tesla-model-x-domination/

Or, I'll just stick with my scooter. I can park that sucker almost anywhere. :D

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Glassman , the Tesla cars I have seen here around Chicago are freaking gorgeous!!! And fast as Hell. I know they aren't meant for the average buyer , but aside from the coolness factor and "Quiet speed" the Chevy volt achieves the exact same rebates and incentives from the gov't as the Tesla for $40,000 less.
I just hate to see any product line of this importance only available to the select few who can afford a $80,000 second vehicle.. maybe down the road Tesla will have a more basic model available.. I am sure in the next 5 - 10 years there will be some significant changes in the automotive industry as relates to what is available to the "everyday customer"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I find it rather amusing, folks buy the "upper line" of autos from the major manufacturers. Infinity = Nissan, Acura= Honda, lexus= Toyota. I understand there are differences in finishes inside and more options. But myself I don't see an extra $8,000 - $10,000 for practically identical cars because it has more buttons different leather interior and a different name bagde. For the most part the bodies and drivetrains are identical and mostly come off the same line.
There are way more options on the upscale models than the base models. Value of those is in the eye of the purchaser. I love the new gadgets and that is the business I'm in, so I buy loaded cars. Would love adaptive cruise control, heated and ventilated seats, entertainment system, nice stereo, memory seats, auto wipers, heated mirrors, led headlights etc etc....

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
There are way more options on the upscale models than the base models. Value of those is in the eye of the purchaser. I love the new gadgets and that is the business I'm in, so I buy loaded cars. Would love adaptive cruise control, heated and ventilated seats, entertainment system, nice stereo, memory seats, auto wipers, heated mirrors, led headlights etc etc....
Absoutly @Julian , I agree I also like all of the gadgets, so this is my wife's car complete panoramic glass roof with opening moon roof. Heated and cooled front leather seats, heated rear leather seats, 8" navigation with 32 gb hard drive, infinity premium sound/ entertainment system with 9 speakers including 8" subwoofer built in , rear view camera, led head lights, led tail lights, adaptive wipers and lights heated power folding mirrors. 4cyl turbo 290 HP and it gets 35 MPG 18" premium wheels 7 air bags. This is one of the best cars we have ever owned. And in the last 3 years has been one of the highest rated in quality and safety. All of this and a great looking sedan $30,950. It's not an suv but just an example of the options available without buying the "luxury lines"

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Absoutly @Julian , I agree I also like all of the gadgets, so this is my wife's car complete panoramic glass roof with opening moon roof. Heated and cooled front leather seats, heated rear leather seats, 8" navigation with 32 gb hard drive, infinity premium sound/ entertainment system with 9 speakers including 8" subwoofer built in , rear view camera, led head lights, led tail lights, adaptive wipers and lights heated power folding mirrors. 4cyl turbo 290 HP and it gets 35 MPG 18" premium wheels 7 air bags. This is one of the best cars we have ever owned. And in the last 3 years has been one of the highest rated in quality and safety. All of this and a great looking sedan $30,950. It's not an suv but just an example of the options available without buying the "luxury lines"
So....what car is this?

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So....what car is this?
2013 Kia optima SXT 2.0 290 hp turbo
5 years ago I would not have even considered a Kia, but my wife talked me in to going to the dealer and looking at them. I must say I was blown away at the quality and redesign of the complete Kia line. And the Direct injection turbo motor has proven to be fantastic. Seems Kia has really stepped up their game since hyundai and Kia merged. If you have not at least looked at one I would strongly suggest giving them a look. It's unbelievable what you get for the money. Not to mention the warranty. 10 year 100k powertrain.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was going to guess Kia. I've been intrigued by the Kia line as we have the worlds largest/high volume dealer in my area and get bombarded with radio ads. You do get a lot for what you pay.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I was going to guess Kia. I've been intrigued by the Kia line as we have the worlds largest/high volume dealer in my area and get bombarded with radio ads. You do get a lot for what you pay.
I am amazed how far they have come. I will definitely buy another one. I was going to tell @Julian To give a passing glance to the Sorrento, they are nice as well. The SX trim is pretty much loaded on all of their models.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Interesting looking SUV, but you don't get all of that for 31K, more like 41K (as those options are in the limited), still not a bad price. Will go an take a look at them for sure.
The 31k was for a loaded optima...I wasn't sure what the Sorrento went for, I do know they usually have some really good rebates. Especially if you didn't have to have a 2015

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 31k was for a loaded optima...I wasn't sure what the Sorrento went for, I do know they usually have some really good rebates. Especially if you didn't have to have a 2015
Gotcha....looking for an SUV....wife doesn't like sitting down low anymore....neither do I.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gotcha....looking for an SUV....wife doesn't like sitting down low anymore....neither do I.
I've always driven a truck and lately the fuel cost has me looking towards getting a car but it keep thinking of the safety aspects. Is it better to save 2 grand a year in fuel or survive a crash?

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Her car is LOW!!! Like a vette, too low for me. I'll keep my truck. I have a beater s10 I drive back and forth to work, I drive 103 Mike's a day round trip to work. @Murf'n'surf most of these new cars and cross over type vehicles have a better or just as good safety rating as our trucks. All of the air bags and crumple zones.. hell look at Julians wifes Acura, 10 years ago they wouldn't have came out unscathed...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Her car is LOW!!! Like a vette, too low for me. I'll keep my truck. I have a beater s10 I drive back and forth to work, I drive 103 Mike's a day round trip to work. @Murf'n'surf most of these new cars and cross over type vehicles have a better or just as good safety rating as our trucks. All of the air bags and crumple zones.. hell look at Julians wifes Acura, 10 years ago they wouldn't have came out unscathed...
That was an 8 year old Acura. The new MDX has 11 airbags compared to 8 in the Sorento.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I find it rather amusing, folks buy the "upper line" of autos from the major manufacturers. Infinity = Nissan, Acura= Honda, lexus= Toyota. I understand there are differences in finishes inside and more options. But myself I don't see an extra $8,000 - $10,000 for practically identical cars because it has more buttons different leather interior and a different name bagde. For the most part the bodies and drivetrains are identical and mostly come off the same line.
I had a buddy that got an Audi A4 about 10 or 12 years ago. He told everyone it was "a VW Passat with the $4,000 Audi badge option." LOL!

Apologies for the minor thread jack.

I do really like the MDX, Julian (although I have not driven any of the current generation.)

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always driven a truck and lately the fuel cost has me looking towards getting a car but it keep thinking of the safety aspects. Is it better to save 2 grand a year in fuel or survive a crash?
This is getting worrying, over here in the UK we always perceive you guys in the US as having the freedom to choose any gas guzzler you like. Now I see more and more of you talking about good MPG.
I love it in the US, gas is so cheap(compared to here anyway), don't let us down, you'll all be driving Diesels next :arghh::wtf:.