• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My AR240 upgrades and stereo build.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Some of you may remember from "the other site", last year I ran into a deal on a 2010 AR240 that I could not pass up. Our family had really been enjoying our SX210, but we knew an upgrade was on the horizon. When this boat fell in my lap, I just couldn't let it go. The closest dealer to me is about an hour and a half away and the had this 2010 on consignment for another customer. Long story short, I was able to pick it up for $29,500. The best part....30.5 hours! The only flaw was that the factory graphics were peeling, but that will be remedied before this season kicks off. Since I purchased it through the dealer, they allowed me to buy another 2 years on the YES warranty.....and I did due to the oil cooler issues on some of these boats. We only got to use the boat 3 time last year since I bought it late in the season, but I immediately went to work on the upgrades.
Like some others have done, I wanted to start a thread documenting my upgrades as I perform them. I have gained a ton of knowledge from people like you and if you have any questions on anything I have done, Ill do my best to answer them.

Lets start with the stereo:

On the port side I have an Interstate Group 27 Marine Battery, Perko switch, and fuse holders for each battery bank. on the starboard side, I have two Group 29 Marine batteries wired in parallel to make the second bank. Onboard Minnkota charger is on the starboard side as well. The simple two banks with a switch has always worked well for my application. I don't really do enough riding to benefit from an ACR.
port batteries.jpg

starboard batteries.jpg

I had 4 polk DB651's left over from the old boat......I had em, may as well use them. They are great sounding speakers, but I am going to eventually replace them with JL MX650's.

Also had a MB Quart 4 channel amp from the last boat.....once again, I liked the performance, for the money it is very clean and rated 60x4 RMS. This amp will be bridged to 2 channels to take care of my tower speakers. Since I was happy with the performance, I went with another MB Quart 5 channel to handle the polks and the subwoofer(s). YES, I realize they are not class D, but once again....budget. I have a grand total of about $279.00 in amps. I will make the jump to class D probably next year....not because I am unhappy with the sound, but for their efficiency.

amp rack.jpg

Next to the subwoofers....this was a challenge for me. I could not find anywhere that I really wanted to IB mount two 10"subs in may boat. I did not want them in the cooler compartment, the port side has the table mount in the way, etc. I finally decided to try a sealed enclosure under the port side lounger. After some measuring, I found that I could fit two 10's under there, and not have it encroach on the initial opening under the seat. What I mean is that if you open that seat compartment, and look straight down, you can't see the box. boat enclosure.jpg

I knew I would have to come up with some sort of vent, so I decided to make my own. All I have left to do is fiberglass it, paint it, cut the hole and mount it.
grill1.jpg
grill2.jpg

.....and look what I picked up from the paint shop today. Those are my Exile XM9's
redexile.jpg

more to come.....have to turn in for the night

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lookin' good! I'm going to guess this isn't your first time.

I am looking forward to more pictures and updates!

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How do you like your MinnKota 210D battery charger?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Lookin' good! I'm going to guess this isn't your first time.

I am looking forward to more pictures and updates!
Not my first time, but its been a while. After high school (20 years ago) I worked as an installer at the local car audio shop. I competed locally and regionally in audio shows and contest for several years. I have nowhere near the knowledge of the almighty @David Analog, but I do okay.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How do you like your MinnKota 210D battery charger?
The charger had fantastic feedback and review, but I have only had the boat hooked up to it over the winter. I havent been able to use it for a season yet......so we'll see.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The charger had fantastic feedback and review, but I have only had the boat hooked up to it over the winter. I havent been able to use it for a season yet......so we'll see.
I also read some great things about MinnKota. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the 220D. Are they really that heavy?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I also read some great things about MinnKota. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the 220D. Are they really that heavy?
It's been a while since I handled it (mounted it back in October), but I do remember it being rather heavy. I'd guess around 10 lbs.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just laid the glass on the front side of my custom sub grill (vent). Have to let it dry and flip it over to do the back.20140326_161246.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice, nice, nice!

Love the custom grill. With what did you cut it? Router, jig saw, scroll saw, band?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice, nice, nice!

Love the custom grill. With what did you cut it? Router, jig saw, scroll saw, band?
used a jig saw. Went back with some good wood putty on the inside corners to help get the shape I wanted. Used a router on the back side to cut a groove so the grill would sit flush.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yup ! About 15 pounds. Built like a Sherman tank. That's what convinced me to buy this instead of the Pro Charging Systems unit. Even though I own a $450 3-Bank Pro Charging Systems "Professional Series" for the Skeeter. Enjoy, NooBoo ...... you won't regret your decision.
Mikey Lulejian - Fishin' again on Lake Oconee - Altho I HAVE to smoke chicken over Southern Red oak this morning. Life's hard .... LOL !

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mounted the tower speakers today
20140328_161135.jpg

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
....and the Thrust Vectors XL's20140315_101835.jpg

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those pods looks sick! I would love to get mine painted royal blue when I get mine installed!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys, Local body shop guy painted them for $50. Its hard to tell in the pic, but they match very well for me just guessing on the color. Once I have them adjusted, Ill take some more pictures of them.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Finally finished my custom vent20140401_185557.jpg