• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My ongoing fuel sender saga... good news!! <replacing fuel sender>

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have posted many times on how I thought my sender recalibration issues were due to ethanol vs non-ethanol fuel impacting the ability of our fuel sender to be able to accurately read fuel levels. Background info is that my sender started reading improperly (not dropping off of full as expected) as I started using non-ethanol fuel. I would check and recalibrate, thinking everything was OK, only to find the problem continued.

This has been documented by others in other posts too. @Julian contacted Centroid at one point and was going to upgrade as noted in this post https://jetboaters.net/threads/fuel-gauge-calibration.2151/page-2#post-62159 . Not sure if he has upgraded.

Well I finally contacted Centroid as well. Here is an email form them documenting the problem and solution.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Joel at Centroid (rr) <joel7@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

David:

Gasoline without ethanol (E0) has only half the capacitance of gasoline with 10% ethanol (E10), and the percent ethanol can be anywhere from 0 to 10%. So if you calibrated for Full with E0, than E10 would read 200% (ie pegged) at 100%, 100% at 50%, 20% at 10%, and 0% at 0%. Conversely, if you calibrated for E10, then E0 would read 50% at 100%, 25% at 50%, 5% at 10%, and 0% at 0%.

The new programmable senders have a feature called Full Detection which arms itself when the fuel reading is below 1/2 at powerup and then recalibrates the Full when the FD is armed and the sender powers up with fuel on its FD "stinger" in the top couple inches of the sender. A weakness I've found with this for boats is that boat owners often only fill part way, such that the FD doesnt get a chance to do its thing.

I think the reason you've done well in the past is that I've found the percent ethanol in a given area is surprisingly dependable. For example, the percent ethanol every time I've measured it in our Daytona Beach, FL area has been close to 5%. But now that you switch between E<"your area"> and E0, there isnt a way to get a manual cal that will work for both of those.

Call Mary at 386-423-3574 between 8a-2p EST Mon/THU with the 395088 part number. Tell her its for gasoline you'd like to buy a programmable version of that sender so you'll have Full Detection.

Joel
I called today and ordered the new sender. The part number 395088, has a 12 inch probe on it and was told that this is for the 210/230 vintage boats. This sender will re-calibrate itself as noted above during fill up regardless of the type of gas used and/or the variability of ethanol in the gas too. As Joel mentioned, pump gas can vary anywhere from 0 to 10%. As I started wandering from my home lake, ethanol levels varied and my problems started, never to return to normal again at least for me.

The new sender costs $72 and will be well worth that for getting one that works again.

This should be plug and play. Order to delivery should be about 2 weeks, wait for decent weather and I will update you all on the swap out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When you call you ask for Mary, who handles the orders. A sweet lady who was very helpful. I think she said it does come with a gasket.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Julian, lets make sure this is findable. @waterboy , do you mind if the thread title is changed to help with a search?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Julian , your doing this mod, so maybe you have a good title. Thanks for the effort you took to post this and chase it down @waterboy , some of these things can drive you crazy!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I got in the new sender. @Julian The gasket is included. Also good to note that there are no adjustments on the top like the old sender. Here are pics of the new sender.

Waiting for warmer weather and an open weekend to get her home and work on this and a few other projects. Should be plug and play, calibrate per the instructions. http://www.centroidproducts.com/pic-cal-4-1-2013.pdf

20150117_104551_resized.jpg 20150117_104654_resized.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am really looking forward to hearing how it works for you. I suspect I will be making the upgrade soon.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is a great post @Murf'n'surf , and I bet many guys that have reported fuel quantity indicator inaccuracy have changed fuel density by changing brand/ethanol ratio/octane/blend. That would have been good to know a few years ago for many! Thanks again @waterboy !

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally got around to changing out the sender this weekend. Plug and play and reading correctly out of the box (so far). I need to run a few tanks of fuel through it to make sure it does as advertised. So far so good.

gas sensor.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally got around to changing out the sender this weekend. Plug and play and reading correctly out of the box (so far). I need to run a few tanks of fuel through it to make sure it does as advertised. So far so good.

View attachment 18964
Why does one look longer?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
optical illusion, camera angle or something. Measured them, etc and they are identical.

Last thing I want to happen is it to rub a hole in the bottom of my tank!!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@waterboy thanks to your work at figuring out the replacement of our fuel sender. I called Mary and experienced her friendly grandmotherly customer service. The one hiccup was Mary was shocked that I wanted that part number because she said her records show it was for a mastercraft boat. Since I was confident I was giving her the correct part number, she sent me what I was requesting. When it arrived it was a perfect replacement. Now time to run some fuel through the boat to see the accuracy.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok @waterboy ... what do you need to change out the sender? Does it require some kind of sealant or does the gasket take care of sealing it?
Per Centroid Products the provided gasket is all that is needed for a seal. Also, that is the way my factory one was installed, no sealant. I can tell you that after I installed mine, then filled the tank, and towed the boat home there was no leakage around the fuel sending unit.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian ... exactly as Andy said. They supplied a gasket and mounted as is. My old did not have any sealant either.

I have not had the boat out yet this spring to burn through a tank and test it out. Hopefully soon!!!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho congrats on the new sender. I found the same thing when I ordered, it apparently is a Mastercraft part number. Oh well, it fits and works so that's all that matters :thumbsup: