• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Naming a Boat

Texjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Hi all. Zipper's recent post made me think to ask this since my better half and I don't agree on the subject regarding our new boat. How many of you name your boat and put the name on the boat, even when it's not required for documentation? For many years, we've owned and been around larger, documented/named boats and haven't noticed if naming is a big thing when not required. Neither of us feel really strongly about this - just more curious about what the norm is these days. Thanks!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I will once l come up with a name that I think I will like forever!

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Same, I'm on my second boat... still working on the name for the first boat lol!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Same, I'm on my second boat... still working on the name for the first boat lol!
Its probably why I do not have any tats either.. every time I think, hey that would be a cool tat, I think, hmmm well yeah how do I feel now about X that I thought was so cool 20 years ago..

I will say the two possible boat names that are right there are; Double Ought, which is a triple entendre, double ought fish hooks, double ought buck, and a pair of big boobies… or Minn Sküta.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Naming a boat can be useful, especially depending on how and where we boat. They are very useful when one is talking on the VHF and the boat is in transit (talking with a lock master, bridges, etc.) or other boaters.

I agree with the tattoo comment, and that is probably the main reason I never got one. If one’s boat is undocumented then it’s super easy to change a name in one desires. If it vinyl lettering, it just becomes a matter of pealing it off and putting on a new one.

I’ll be renaming my new-to-me sailboat and will likely do so when I get a jet boat.

Jim

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many here do it. It's not required, it simply makes it more personal for you. Mine was done to pay tribute to those that made it possible, and it's highly personal to me.

There is no "normal", if you want to do it, go for it. It's an added unnecessary cost. If you can swing it, and like the idea, the point is to make it "yours". You'll have plenty of other costs.

Some feel it's a low-rent move. I tend not to concern myself with what others say/feel, but I know I'm not normal like that. 😆

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Growing up I noticed the faded, peeled off remnants of the previous name of our boat "SEA DEUCE". Dad told me to ask mom. That led me as an 8 year old into the worst birds and bees cold start conversation ever. I went from the excited new to me boat thrill to WTF in an instant.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Some do, some don't. Naming is not required unless the vessel is registered with with the USCG, Meaning, no State registration numbers on the bow. The USCG registration will give you a 6 or 7 digit number to permanently affix/paint to the hull in a hidden inside part of the hull, if one is not already there. Our 1991 boats both have 6 digit numbers in them. Now, they are in the 7 digit numbers scheme. The name as well as homeport, with min. size requirements, are required on the transom. Hailing on a radio, at a drawbridge or for help if needed, is usually done by boat name.
Oh, and if you don't like it after all, you can change it. Easier and less expensive to change the name on a State registered boat. It is cheaper to change names from the getgo, paperwork after the sale with the USCG. There is a fee if you change it a year later.

Last edited:

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m not even holding myself to that high of a standard. I’m just looking for a name I’ll like for a while. The search continues…

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m not even holding myself to that high of a standard. I’m just looking for a name I’ll like for a while. The search continues…
From what I understand it is very bad luck to change the name on a boat once named, unless the boat undergoes a major refit. Here‘s a few links about choosing a name and renaming the boat.

These are too scared to write down the ceremony of renaming the boat…

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From what I understand it is very bad luck to change the name on a boat once named, unless the boat undergoes a major refit. Here‘s a few links about choosing a name and renaming the boat.

These are too scared to write down the ceremony of renaming the boat…

No! If done right, appeasing Poseidon and his 4 brothers (winds) with a little libation of good champagne will bring good luck.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No! If done right, appeasing Poseidon and his 4 brothers (winds) with a little libation of good champagne will bring good luck.

Looks like a few precise words and the proper libation are the key…if I ever do come up with a name now I know how to do it properly.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Texjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length

Good to know! I was compelled to change the name (knowing it could be bad luck) of a documented boat I bought years ago. It's name was "Grubb's Tub" :rolleyes: Perhaps all the libations, merriment, and scantily clad women on that boat appeased the Gods after I changed the name because that 20+ year old boat was pretty trouble free.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good to know! I was compelled to change the name (knowing it could be bad luck) of a documented boat I bought years ago. It's name was "Grubb's Tub" :rolleyes: Perhaps all the libations, merriment, and scantily clad women on that boat appeased the Gods after I changed the name because that 20+ year old boat was pretty trouble free.
Tossing in the scantily clad women was the clincher I’m sure!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I christen thee, the Flying Wasp.........

I have a whole list of boat names that I like - I buy a new boat every couple of years so I can cycle through them........... :)

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had no intention in naming our boat.
But, when my oldest daughter came down to Baja to visit she said I should name it after (my dad) Grandpa's boat!
I was blown away by the idea. So the boat got named!
20230902_172354.jpg20231112_121327.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey,
My name is sea shield you are talking about There is no "normal", if you want to do it, go for it. It's an added unnecessary cost. If you can swing it, and like the idea, the point is to make it "yours". You'll have plenty of other costs. Buy our Sea Shield online store at less cost.

Polishing compounds
... and this, kids, is why drinking and browsing forums don't go hand in hand 🥴