• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help what do you wish you knew when you started boating that you know now.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you've got an Android, there's tons of 'em to be found here: to-do list app - Android Apps on Google Play

I don't have an iPhone, but I'm certain you can find something that'll work. I personally use Evernote, but I've used Wunderlist in the past. Evernote is easy for me to sync up with the wife character, so she's got the same info that I put in, and I can follow her changes if she wants to do so. I've been looking at everyone's lists around here, and I'll come up with my own and set it up with a checkbox type of list after I decide what I should be doing on launch and after retrieval.
I hear you on the apps. What caught my eye is that the MiraCheck is an actual check list with stages and what not. I'm sure you can DIY with wunderlist (which we heavily use at my household). But for example, you would have to uncheck everything after you finish for the day.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear you on the apps. What caught my eye is that the MiraCheck is an actual check list with stages and what not. I'm sure you can DIY with wunderlist (which we heavily use at my household). But for example, you would have to uncheck everything after you finish for the day.
Exactly why I use MiraCheck, makes starting fresh easy, working in stages of prep and you can make it so certain actions have to be completed before moving on (awesome for cleanout/drain plugs)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't read everything so maybe someone else has mentioned this.

My one of my early regrets with my first boat (non-Yamaha) was not knowing about a spring line. I tied up in a slip and hooked my front line and rear line. Left the boat for an hour for dinner. My boat bumped up against the front dock and really tore up the underside of my bow.

I guess you could put all of that under how to properly moor a boat because it differs based on what the situation is.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

My one of my early regrets with my first boat (non-Yamaha) was not knowing about a spring line. I tied up in a slip and hooked my front line and rear line. Left the boat for an hour for dinner. My boat bumped up against the front dock and really tore up the underside of my bow.

I guess you could put all of that under how to properly moor a boat because it differs based on what the situation is.
Bro. What's a spring line? Ha. Please do tell.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1. Buy your second boat first. It's an old adage, but a true one. I bought an old sea ray for my first boat because I was scared of laying out money and not using it (even though I already pretty much knew I'd like it). Traded it in less than a year later. Would have been cheaper to buy this first. Then again, I wasn't so upset when I bounced that one into a few docks.

2. How to back up a trailer. Man, my first few times out were uuuuugly. I had never backed one up before. I was legit worse than the Family Guy clip.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I had a lot of the things you guys mentioned already but added a few tweaks as my original edit was at 7 minutes but I needed to clear 10 minutes thanks for the help guys.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1) Isolating the inputs of steering and power while docking in wind and tidal conditions (aka the elements). Adjusting either more/less power without making corrective actions with the steering wheel. See what more/less power does against the “elements” and potentially add a steering corrective input.

2) The latency of steering and inputs on the boats positional changes. To be more patient with all tight maneuvers. Immediate power isn’t always the answer.

3) On water courtesy for boats and watercraft of all sizes. As a avid kayaker and rower, be mindful of what my wake and passing speeds are doing to the fisherman, small watercraft and moored/anchored boats around me.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. Buy your second boat first. It's an old adage, but a true one. I bought an old sea ray for my first boat because I was scared of laying out money and not using it (even though I already pretty much knew I'd like it). Traded it in less than a year later. Would have been cheaper to buy this first. Then again, I wasn't so upset when I bounced that one into a few docks.

2. How to back up a trailer. Man, my first few times out were uuuuugly. I had never backed one up before. I was legit worse than the Family Guy clip.

this guy is right. I had no troubles with a trailer though...we had trailers and a pontoon when I was a kid.

lol @ the family guy reference. :) We had a few ugly times, learning about weather and changing water levels at our favorite reservoir. note to noobs: if you follow a boat down an unknown channel, assuming it is safe, double check that boat you are following isnt a jet LOL!!! falling off your skies, and having them stuck in mud is concerning.

havent traded up yet though. we're in a very busy, and changing time in life... sports 24-7, kids growing, having their own lives... little old Glastron bowrider still works, and we have a blast but its confining at times. Keep[ saying. If were still using the heck out of it, next year or two i think well make the decision on whether the jump will be made. This year isnt starting so well though... we are 3 weeks behind on spring launch. :/

It fits in the garage though, and I have trouble with boats outside or in remote storage.

And its costing me almost nothing lol

Only wish I had known about the advances in the yamahas before originally shopping. I had already picked ours up when my buddy suggested it.... Wed likely have started there.

Ballman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First 10 years of boating was with boats that had outdrives. Last 2 have been with a jet boat. Wish I had made that switch a long time ago....

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So working on a project and kind of curious what things do you wish you knew when you started boating that you know now. Example I wish someone had told me just how much time would be sent cleaning and fixing things or I wish someone would have told just how stressful boat launch and retrieval can be with the family in tow or how much time and money would later be spent on mods. Lets hear it guys.
Saw another post that says don't sweat the small stuff. I agree! Relationships and family are worth more than a material object or money.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm cheap, and sometimes cheap things are OK. It cost money to figure out which is worth it. Anchor and Line, Covers, Inflatables. Hardware (Buy Stainless on brass, everything else rusts eventually) It's balance between high end that wears out anyway and cheap things that don't last. I usually buy cheap first, and if/when it breaks I make the decision to replace based on how the item wore and how much I used it.

You can spend a LOT of money on the boat. (There's been a boat in my house since I was 5, so I saw and experienced most of the things in this thread first hand.)

One phrase I use sometimes when I make people inconvenience themselves over the well being of my property

I'd rather you be angry than me.

When I ask them to take shoes off, or eat their staining foods on the swim platform, (and they always comply and sometimes apologize, because I only invite nice people over...) I tell them, no need to apologize, it's no sweat at all, you didn't know, thanks for complying, but if you do X then likely Y will happen and I will get mad, so I'd rather make you mad right now asking you to not do X, over me being mad later because Y happened.

Boating is a lot of fun, but it's expensive, but it's all worth it, giant grin most boating days, most all the time!

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
oooh. app for check list? I like it
I use a task management app called Asana. As a brand new boater I’m super nervous that I’m gonna forget something important. The checklist has been clutch. I’ve made a project in that app that is my checklist template. Then each time we go out, I duplicate the project to make a specific checklist for that trip. Right now, my wife is in charge of pulling up the checklist on her phone and walking us through each step. Kinda silly, but I love that we can “physically” check off stuff in the app. The phone rumbles and the task disappears once we check it off.

Attachments

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One phrase I use sometimes when I make people inconvenience themselves over the well being of my property

I'd rather you be angry than me.

When I ask them to take shoes off, or eat their staining foods on the swim platform, (and they always comply and sometimes apologize, because I only invite nice people over...) I tell them, no need to apologize, it's no sweat at all, you didn't know, thanks for complying, but if you do X then likely Y will happen and I will get mad, so I'd rather make you mad right now asking you to not do X, over me being mad later because Y happened.
This. A thousand times, this. Why piss yourself off by NOT saying something before it's a problem, than sitting there stewing about it because someone clearly didn't consider the ramifications of their actions? If, in the future, they continue, it's an indicator that you MIGHT have a problem on your hands, and to deal with it accordingly.

It's a balancing act - life is too short to let small things bother you, but small things that bother you WILL turn into a big problem eventually, if they're not addressed. Once I've addressed it, I won't be bothered to babysit those that have no concern for my wishes, and arm's length becomes the new norm for those folks.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Yes - learn about properly tying up!