• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2015 Models

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am inclined to agree with Devildog. After having my boat ( first year of production) at the dealership several times for updates and repairs, I would be hesitant to buy a first year production boat again.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I dont need/want a rudder. I can drive it just fine without fins, even out of TDE mode. Also, the rudder could increase the draft which would be a downside.

As far as rack and pinion, I would assume that is for power steering. If that increases the rotation degree on the wheel, I'm not sure I would want that. One of the aspects of having jet is the fact that you need quick inputs to maneuver around. I cant imagine having to spin the steering wheel over multiple times while maneuvering in close quarters.

To me - they should really focus on noise reduction and intake issues, and other functional issues like hinged seats. I've had plenty of sticks stuck in the impeller that I cant remove from the cleanouts.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wish that Yamaha would forget about rudders and add bow and stern thrusters. We have plenty of control at speed. But imagine if you could maneuver the boat sideways effortlessly. Or hold your place in a side current. The cost would not be huge. It would just be a couple of tunnels through unused portions of the hull with fixed trolling motor type devices inside. If Yamaha added a joystick control they would have the easiest to dock boat in the class.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish that Yamaha would forget about rudders and add bow and stern thrusters. We have plenty of control at speed. But imagine if you could maneuver the boat sideways effortlessly. Or hold your place in a side current. The cost would not be huge. It would just be a couple of tunnels through unused portions of the hull with fixed trolling motor type devices inside. If Yamaha added a joystick control they would have the easiest to dock boat in the class.
While I tend to agree. . . . . With dual sticks I can spin this baby on a dime and I've only had her out 6 times.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I talked to another production guy yesterday who said that they had produced 26 of the new models so far and (he really said this now) that "they have rack-and-pinion steering." When I asked why he just shrugged his shoulders. I'll ask more about it when I get a chance. I can't imagine how they would begin to set that up without having a load of hardware hanging outside the boat between the jets and down in the water.
As far as rack and pinion, I would assume that is for power steering.
I don't see the rack-and-pinion steering change to be anything like either of those. I suspect its a simple change that will all be at the helm behind the steering wheel. No changes at the jet pump nozzles. The steering wheel will turn a pinion gear on a rack that pushes or pulls on the steering cables. That's it. The rest is the same as it always was.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with @RobA . Don't worry about trying to make a jet boat compete with an outboard because they are complete different animals. Work on quality control items like hinged seats, a bow drain, doors that close and latch properly, a battery switch accessible from the driver and quiet the engines. I have no issues with control of the boat w/o fins as well and love the fact that shallow areas do not concern me as much.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fin which most likely will be placed just forward of the helm will add in steering stability and help hold course while you are towing watersports. I don't think it would increase our draft by much.

It would be nice to get rid of the steering cables, at least a long portion of them.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While I tend to agree. . . . . With dual sticks I can spin this baby on a dime and I've only had her out 6 times.
We can spin in place easily. But thrusters would allow us to move sideways or hold position in a side current. The main use would be in windy conditions.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha reads this site, and also reads their competitors competitive intel. They've gotten the message loud and clear that:

1. Slow speed steering on these boats sucks (not my words---that is what the competition says).
  2. We spend money putting on Fins to address #1
  3. Many of us want to fish from our boats and not having something to "plant" the stern makes using a trolling motor hard.
Lets hope they also know that they need to fix, once and for all, their DANGEROUSLY FLAWED CLEANOUT PLUG DESIGN!!!!! It really isn't hard to make them 1) easy to remove, 2) held in by more than those little dogs on the side! There are plenty of door lock designs that would work great to bolt them into place! sigh

I wouldn't want to see a fixed fin or skeg, and I hope they realize that would potentially reduce the "fun to drive" factor and draft. But a retractable one would be awesome!

Last but not least would be a Wake Surf Model! Pump driven ballast fill (or some other fast fill). A Wedge! Surf "dams".... or wave shaping of some sort! Even pump trim to send the turbulence below the water more would be cool (clean up the table).

@Murf'n'surf I'm sure Yamaha isn't keen on the spreadsheet I've maintained on the year over year differences between the boats (although I've been less good at the details lately) - specifically because MSRP is one thing I have tracked closely! It is interesting to see the inflation in price....Here is the info for the SX models....
Model year pricing.jpg

If any of you have the brochures you got when you bought your boats 2007 and beyond...I'd love to fill that in....

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha reads this site, and also reads their competitors competitive intel. They've gotten the message loud and clear that:

1. Slow speed steering on these boats sucks (not my words---that is what the competition says).
  2. We spend money putting on Fins to address #1
  3. Many of us want to fish from our boats and not having something to "plant" the stern makes using a trolling motor hard.
Lets hope they also know that they need to fix, once and for all, their DANGEROUSLY FLAWED CLEANOUT PLUG DESIGN!!!!! It really isn't hard to make them 1) easy to remove, 2) held in by more than those little dogs on the side! There are plenty of door lock designs that would work great to bolt them into place! sigh

I wouldn't want to see a fixed fin or skeg, and I hope they realize that would potentially reduce the "fun to drive" factor and draft. But a retractable one would be awesome!

Last but not least would be a Wake Surf Model! Pump driven ballast fill (or some other fast fill). A Wedge! Surf "dams".... or wave shaping of some sort! Even pump trim to send the turbulence below the water more would be cool (clean up the table).

@Murf'n'surf I'm sure Yamaha isn't keen on the spreadsheet I've maintained on the year over year differences between the boats (although I've been less good at the details lately) - specifically because MSRP is one thing I have tracked closely! It is interesting to see the inflation in price....Here is the info for the SX models....
View attachment 7385

If any of you have the brochures you got when you bought your boats 2007 and beyond...I'd love to fill that in....
I agree with 99% of what you sat here @Julian, however in discussion with the Yamaha engineer we discussed slow speed handling and I told him that I had Thrust Vectors XL (@JetBoatPilot) and that they made a tremendous difference. He said that the guys he works with mostly think that the benefit that we consumers perceive is just that, a perception on our part and that there is no real hydrodynamic change or benefit to the fins. I called bullshit, but he seemed unconvinced of my position.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@primedoc this is something I've heard before too! And at Shelbyville I aim to test out this theory! We will certainly have 2 identical hulls there, one with and one without, and we can do a turning test.....

I'll post the results!

@OperationROL @007 - we have to remember to do this!

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm with @RobA , fix the damn intake issue, I'm seriously thinking of naming my boat Hoover, I've sucked up all kinds of $hit, including 3 tow ropes in 1 season,

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm with @RobA , fix the damn intake issue, I'm seriously thinking of naming my boat Hoover, I've sucked up all kinds of $hit, including 3 tow ropes in 1 season,
I had zero problems for the first month and a half then sucked up 3-4 ropes in one weekend. One dock line was sucked up so tight it broke the left intake grate. As a side note, it's always the port side jet.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had zero problems for the first month and a half then sucked up 3-4 ropes in one weekend. One dock line was sucked up so tight it broke the left intake grate. As a side note, it's always the port side jet.
I just find this to be the nature of the beast....its a vacuum....get anything near the intake and its going in! I've sucked up one rope in 11 years....and that was my fault for putting a 10 year old in the "rope handler" role. I don't think any amount of intake grate ju ju (no idea how that would be spelled) is going to change it from a vacuum to something else.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This brings up a great topic of safety for all of us. Watch how you hold your lines and be careful not to wrap your hands, feet or any member in the line! Ya ever watch The Deadliest Catch?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cannot confirm or deny anything at this point. I do know something but will not be at liberty to say until Aug after product release.
I'm actually surprised that they don't engage in more open dialog on this board with us and basically use us as a focus group to help develop and refine products and features.
How do you know that they do not?

Any of us could work for Yamaha. I have not met any of you in person...how do you know I don't work for the mother ship?

;):wideyed::cool:

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with 99% of what you sat here @Julian, however in discussion with the Yamaha engineer we discussed slow speed handling and I told him that I had Thrust Vectors XL (@JetBoatPilot) and that they made a tremendous difference. He said that the guys he works with mostly think that the benefit that we consumers perceive is just that, a perception on our part and that there is no real hydrodynamic change or benefit to the fins. I called bullshit, but he seemed unconvinced of my position.
I drove my boat naked for a week after having the orginal cobra's for many years. The boat was actually more fun for me to drive naked (aka spin), but it just wasn't as easy to direct coming off plane or at idle. I put on the TV's and I can say both fin sets make a difference. I call bullshit.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@007 Put some damn clothes on!!! Lol:pompus: