• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2015 Models

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with 99% of what you sat here @Julian, however in discussion with the Yamaha engineer we discussed slow speed handling and I told him that I had Thrust Vectors XL (@JetBoatPilot) and that they made a tremendous difference. He said that the guys he works with mostly think that the benefit that we consumers perceive is just that, a perception on our part and that there is no real hydrodynamic change or benefit to the fins. I called bullshit, but he seemed unconvinced of my position.
I agree with you @primedoc. Referring to your Yamaha engineering contact, I love people who render an opinion without any "real life" input. That does not make for a good engineer or scientist. You must keep an open mind. Fortunately we on this forum do and therefore are willing to experiment and push the envelope to Yamaha's benefit. It would be beneficial to have a "back channel" to Yamaha on this forum whether clandestine or not.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I drove my boat naked for a week after having the orginal cobra's for many years. The boat was actually more fun for me to drive naked (aka spin), but it just wasn't as easy to direct coming off plane or at idle. I put on the TV's and I can say both fin sets make a difference. I call bullshit.

To fix the spin when coming off plane, dont chop the throttle to idle. Slowly bring it back and let the stern plow for a second before settling off plane. This works well for me and I dont have the spin issue anymore.

As for as idle, the newer boats have the TDE which makes a huge difference IMO. Without it, I would consider fins. If you get a chance, drive a 2012+ boat with TDE and see how you like it...

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, re: fins v.s. no fins. . . . . So even though I took delivery of my 14' with Cobra's installed have driven Jet propelled boats and watercraft quite a bit, I am absolutely certain they are an improvement over stock steering at slow speeds. . . . In combination with TDE I have ZERO control issues at idle.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I still love finless. If the new boats came with fins standard, I wouldn't like the idea. To each their own, but for me, finless is the way.

Looking forward to what Yamaha has in store for us for the 2015 models!

tomcoombs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I purchased a 2014 242 LS a couple months ago and we have put about 30 hours on it so far. I was finless for the first month or so and added ThrustVector XL's to the boat. They made a huge difference to the low speed handling of the boat, although I can see how you would get the skills to *not* need them after a while.

In any case, love the boat, I guess the fact that mine is the last year of the current production design, means that it should have the least design and manufacturing issues, or that they are all known and *fixable* with tried and test solutions. I like that too.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Each year is always "fun" waiting to see what the new models will bring @tomcoombs

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
It sounds to me like the engineer or developer mentioned above is closed minded about the aftermarket fins, saying the fins make no difference is like saying the sun doesn't rise in the east... At idle speed I would say I get 100 percent better steering response than without them. My LS does not have the TDE so I cannot speak to that, but on my boat they make a huge difference.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My LS does not have the TDE so I cannot speak to that, but on my boat they make a huge difference.
I think they make a bigger difference on the smaller flat-bottom boats and a smaller difference on the bigger deep-V hull boats

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had gotten really good in my sx210 with no fins.....But I soon learned that my AR240 was a different animal. I deal with tides, currents and crosswinds every time I go out, and the higher freeboard and tower made the new boat a beast to handle (comparatively speaking). I added TVXL's early this year and it helped tremendously.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had gotten really good in my sx210 with no fins.....But I soon learned that my AR240 was a different animal. I deal with tides, currents and crosswords every time I go out, and the higher freeboard and tower made the new boat a beast to handle (comparatively speaking). I added TVXL's early this year and it helped tremendously.
Well, there's your problem....stop doing crosswords while you drive and it might be a lot easier! :winkingthumbsup":rolleyes::wacky:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, there's your problem....stop doing crosswords while you drive and it might be a lot easier! :winkingthumbsup":rolleyes::wacky:
Im not quite sure why they call it "auto correct"

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little bit on the Yammi engineer. I've been reading a book about a Grumman test pilot who worked for them in the 40's-50's. He'd test a plane and it wasn't flying right or would do something weird. He'd tell the engineers and they'd say it was his fault. He'd try again and something would break. Then the engineers would say, "Well, maybe that could happen"! He figured out the engineer pride wouldn't let them admit they were wrong. As for me, my 2013 240 drives like a regular boat in the first forward throttle detent. I've got the fins.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm done with the rumors. Yamaha needs to put some balls out there and release something innovative. This "ooch" approach is boring as hell, conservative business model be dammed. They're fattening up their wallets with a huge price increase over the last 5 years - now do something with it!

Until it's released, rumors be damned I say! :p

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the price point Yamaha is at, these boats should have a hand laid fiberglass shell and the flimsy board material on the sides removed.

Picture my dream....... At speed our steering would remain as it is now, but at slow speed the nozzles would swing 90 degrees left and 90 degrees right. A full 180 arc. Talk about some cool docking and low speed steering tricks!!
Of course the hull and steering would need to be replaced but an industry leader would be born.

Ahem .... Mother Yamaha you can send that royalty check via PayPal to jetboaterspayment@ gmail dot com!!

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
(chanting) CRUISER. CRUISER. CRUISER. CRUISER...

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree about the level of refinement these boats should have at the price point where they now reside. Sure, the MSRP is less than what most comparable I/O boats carry, but the difference is that you can typically get big discounts on those boats where you can't on a Yamaha. I paid less than $30K for my SX210, but if I were paying 40 - 55K, I'd expect a greater level of refinement.

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How about a jet boat that throws a clean wake and finds a way to keep the jet wash down. I'm sure there has to be a way.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How about a jet boat that throws a clean wake and finds a way to keep the jet wash down. I'm sure there has to be a way.
There is but we would see the draft go from 16" to around 30".

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length