• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One picture of your last outing.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Probably be my last time posting on this thread or, for a very long time. Today while anchored at Egmont Key, two 450+’ loaded freighters passed by throwing 7 consecutive 5’ waves. These waves swamped the boat. When I mean swamped, I believe I hold the record for the most water in a jetboat without it sinking. Bow was full, throttle and helm under water, and engine completely submerged to where water was coming out of the engine compartment over the seats. We took the cooler and bailed the water out of the ski locker, had kids hanging on the non listed side of the boat until we could get the bildge outlet above the water to start pumping. US Tow Boat came out along with the Hillsborough County Sheriff Boat to make sure we were ok and towed us back to Fort Desoto Park. When I got home I pulled the pugs and cycled the engine and saltwater came out of the cylinders. I’m thinking if they can’t fix it, it’s a total loss. I’m putting together a list of what I know was submerged and what I know was ruined for the insurance company to review. I’m guessing I have water in the engine, oil and gas. Along with a damaged connex screen, all my switched, all my radio and speakers, and my Garmin GPS. third to last pic are the two freighters and the second to last pic is a fish that jumped into the boat while we were being towed. Don’t know what it is, but it was a spiky bastard. What else should I be concerned with in having that much water over everything. Last pic is a compiled list I have so far.
IMG_4068.jpegIMG_4069.jpegIMG_4070.jpegIMG_4071.jpegIMG_4073.jpegIMG_4072.jpegIMG_4074.jpegIMG_4075.jpegIMG_4076.jpegIMG_2366.jpegIMG_2373.jpegimage.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We could probably save the engine but not sure about the connect screen and other elect

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you start a claim? I would think most of the electrical components and connections are toast

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
File your claim and await direction. You’re probably better off getting it totaled verses trying to put band aids on it for the next 5-10 years.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would look into both. If you recover from the freighters, the money will first go to reimburse your insurance (called subrogation), but you don't need to chose one or the other.

Is your boat at a shop or do you have it? I would get it to a shop pronto, so that the insurance can't say you delayed getting it in... Once it is at the shop and a claim submitted, it is on them to promptly approve the repairs (which will be an immediate oil change, pump out the gas tank and get those engines running--or else it will be a total...).

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Did you start a claim? I would think most of the electrical components and connections are toast
we started the claim, and thankfully mu wife works for Progressive who we have our boat insurance through so they are fast tracking the process. They are supposed to call today and tell me where to take the boat and meet an adjuster. Since there is no "physical" damage done to the boat, not sure what the adjuster can do at this time other than give a price point to say this is to much and kill it.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Boats are responsible for damage caused by their wake. https://jhcooper.com/info/liability-for-wake-damage/

I would look into getting the large boats to pay for the damage they caused instead of having a claim on your insurance.
Interesting read. I need to see how clear I can get the photos of the two freighters from my wife's phone. They were a few miles out. We have anchored up there several dozen times with no issue at all when freighters passed by. By the time the wake gets to us at the beach, its no bigger than any other wave. This is the first time to freighters passed by one another at the same time and created the perfect scenario.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I would look into both. If you recover from the freighters, the money will first go to reimburse your insurance (called subrogation), but you don't need to chose one or the other.

Is your boat at a shop or do you have it? I would get it to a shop pronto, so that the insurance can't say you delayed getting it in... Once it is at the shop and a claim submitted, it is on them to promptly approve the repairs (which will be an immediate oil change, pump out the gas tank and get those engines running--or else it will be a total...).
Right now the boat is around the corner from my house where I store it. I wasn't able to flush the engine due to not being able to start it, but was able to hose the inside out, wet vac all the sand and wash/dry. Since it was Sunday and I was on the other side of town, I'm not sure where Progressive wants me to take it. I have two Yamaha dealers within an hour of my house in Clearwater and St. Pete. I am going to recommend Cycle Springs in Clearwater and Rockstar Powersports in St. Pete (formally Barney's) where I purchased the boat.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right now the boat is around the corner from my house where I store it. I wasn't able to flush the engine due to not being able to start it, but was able to hose the inside out, wet vac all the sand and wash/dry. Since it was Sunday and I was on the other side of town, I'm not sure where Progressive wants me to take it. I have two Yamaha dealers within an hour of my house in Clearwater and St. Pete. I am going to recommend Cycle Springs in Clearwater and Rockstar Powersports in St. Pete (formally Barney's) where I purchased the boat.
Wow, I have seen some big waves out at Egmont, but nothing like that before. Where other boats also damaged that you could tell?

Good luck, hope Progressive takes care of you.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Wow, I have seen some big waves out at Egmont, but nothing like that before. Where other boats also damaged that you could tell?

Good luck, hope Progressive takes care of you.
When my boat took the first wave, the guy next to me tossed his anchor and left, never came back for it. As for other boats, at the time of the incident, there was only 3 other boats there as it was cloudy. Once the sun came out, burned the cloud cover and the wind died down more people started to show.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting read. I need to see how clear I can get the photos of the two freighters from my wife's phone. They were a few miles out. We have anchored up there several dozen times with no issue at all when freighters passed by. By the time the wake gets to us at the beach, its no bigger than any other wave. This is the first time to freighters passed by one another at the same time and created the perfect scenario.
There are websites that track freighters at anchor and while moving. If you know the time, date and location, you should be able to replay that day of traffic.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It doesn't sound plausible to me that you could seek damages from commercial traffic that is operating normally inside a ship channel. Hate to say it, but you're probably going to have to chalk this up to lesson learned about boating around inshore, or close to shore nautical areas. There are man made islands made from dredging the Houston ship channel and I've been told that the longest surf ride ever has been made at the surf break at the shore of one of these islands. The other thing people will tell you is DO NOT try to anchor and make a day of playing on one of these island beaches because even though they look enticing, your boat will get blasted by all the ships passing by.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
There are websites that track freighters at anchor and while moving. If you know the time, date and location, you should be able to replay that day of traffic.
Did some sleuthing and google imaged of each freighter and was able to track them entering and exiting port of Tampa yesterday via marinetraffic.com. They passed by about 25 minutes of my taking in water. Also have a time stamped photo on my wife’s phone of each in the shipping channel!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
It doesn't sound plausible to me that you could seek damages from commercial traffic that is operating normally inside a ship channel. Hate to say it, but you're probably going to have to chalk this up to lesson learned about boating around inshore, or close to shore nautical areas. There are man made islands made from dredging the Houston ship channel and I've been told that the longest surf ride ever has been made at the surf break at the shore of one of these islands. The other thing people will tell you is DO NOT try to anchor and make a day of playing on one of these island beaches because even though they look enticing, your boat will get blasted by all the ships passing by.
It’s a long shot, but just trying to get back on the water. In Tampa, prime boating weather is coming up next month. Only low 80s.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did some sleuthing and google imaged of each freighter and was able to track them entering and exiting port of Tampa yesterday via marinetraffic.com. They passed by about 25 minutes of my taking in water. Also have a time stamped photo on my wife’s phone of each in the shipping channel!
Interesting scenario....I'm curious how much anchor line (rode) you had out. When towing a boat they recommend 100' because if you have less it can hold the bow down and force waves over the bow. But in this case you look like you might have been beached....so it might not have made any difference?

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would just make the claim with your insurance and let them know the info you have on the freighters. They can decide whether or not they want to seek contribution from the freighters’ carriers. They’ll also be in a much better position to know who to go after if necessary. My guess is with this size claim, they will not bother.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Interesting scenario....I'm curious how much anchor line (rode) you had out. When towing a boat they recommend 100' because if you have less it can hold the bow down and force waves over the bow. But in this case you look like you might have been beached....so it might not have made any difference?
While anchored I had about 40' of line out then backed into 3' of water. Glad I was shallow enough that when the boat filled with water I was able to sit on the sand. I think If I was any deeper, when the water came in, I may have went all the way under.