• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Passenger bench or port side capt chair?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We have the dual captain's chairs. One thing I do like about it, at least in our 190, is that when the port side chair faces forward someone can sit on the bench directly behind it and face aft while leaning on the back of the capt chair. This makes it more comfortable to sit and keep an eye on tubers.

With that said, the bench seems like a more efficient use of storage since you get that floor space underneath.
@IvanRZB .....we have the dual captain's chairs too. We find there is sooo much storage capability in our 2020 SX195 that we can keep a ridiculous amount of gear on the boat and don't need any more storage. It was the best option for me as the Admiral hated the bench seat...."You can sit sideways or backward because I will be driving the boat, yesssss dear!" .....captain's chairs it was! 😁

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
These models were the best of both worlds.

We have the bench, and it was a toss up at purchase time. The tower was more important than the seat, so we got the AR instead of the SX190. Now that the 195S is a thing, we probably would have gotten that to have both.

I will say that the storage under the seat on the port side is AMAZING. We have TWO coolers under there, and our shoes for the day. SOOOO convenient!
I’m not current with what’s available these days. Maybe I gave an outdated opinion. Are you saying that the bench/chair set up isn’t available any more?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not current with what’s available these days. Maybe I gave an outdated opinion. Are you saying that the bench/chair set up isn’t available any more?
Yea, the old style where in "chair mode" you have a space to put your feet in front of you and a back to lean on, that then convert to "bench mode" where you have a long bench to sit on with nowhere to put your feet.......That doesn't exist anymore :(

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea, the old style where in "chair mode" you have a space to put your feet in front of you and a back to lean on, that then convert to "bench mode" where you have a long bench to sit on with nowhere to put your feet.......That doesn't exist anymore :(
Ugh! Good to know. Sorry I gave bad advice.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Admiral loves the bench J Seating on the Port side. I prefer the Captain's chair. Soooooo we have the bench.
This.

The Admiral in our house said "no captains chair...no new boat".....So all the 2007-2009 230 series were a total fail for us. Listen to your Admiral!

Bob219

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just got a 2020 AR190 - wife and family love the bench side. Another chair would have taken up a lot of room.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@sunbyrned .....soooo here goes :😎 on the 190/195 models you have two choices: 1. twin captain's chairs with a side bench along the port side behind the port side captain's chair. There is no side bench behind the starboard side captain's chair as you can store a cooler (dedicated clips and straps) there or put the table there. We chose the twin captain's chairs and then opted to store the cooler under the port side bench seat behind the port chair. The beauty of this is that the port side chair can swivel 180 degrees to face the stern for spotting or lounging- then the passenger in that seat can put their feet along the port side bench - just like a full-length lounger. We do not store the cooler behind the starboard captain's seat to 1. create more room in the cockpit in general and specifically 2. if we install the table there is nothing (no cooler) in the way. Also by putting the cooler under the port side bench it balances the boat better because (thank God) the Admiral is smaller than I LOL.....IMO the good news is that Yamaha has done their homework and offered two very good options. :cool:.....now when you get into the 2020 200s there is a still a bench behind BOTH both chairs .....it's like an extended C shaped lounge - even with twin captain's chairs. The 2020 200s ALSO offer the bench option that extends the length of the port side like the same option in the190s. If I were buying the 2020 200s I'd definitely go twin captain's chairs as that in IMO gives the best of both worlds. I have never heard anyone say they would not buy a boat (non-wake board dedicated) that had twin captain's chairs where the port side could swivel 180 degrees and have that person put their legs up on a bench seat behind it, but I have heard people say they would not buy a boat with just the port side bench seating the entire length. Many people do not want to sit sideways or rear facing. If you have ever been out on heavy water sitting side facing is really unpleasant - even rear facing is no picnic - that's when you REALLY want dual captain's chairs. There is very little (actually IMO No back support on the all bench seating arrangement) - just a piddly cushioned dash. IMO if you need so much more storage than Yamaha builds into their jet boats that you have to buy a full port side bench seat - get an RV. :cool:

Last edited:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Now that you mention it... She gave me a "Captain" hat for father's day... I thought she was paying me a compliment but it's just now hitting me that she outranked me all along!
@IvanRZB ....you got that right brother. At least you picked a smart Admiral ..... so no flag on that play! :cool:

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length