• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible new tow vehicle.......Lets hear thoughts from the gallery.......

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently driving a 2017 Audi Q7 Prestige. It has the adaptive suspension package, black optics package, and a few other options. It's a nice car, and has treated us well for the last ~14mo or so. It tows well, and even did a long road trip to FL and back with the boat and 5 humans. Traded my '15 GMC Sierra SLT for this last year after I had a rodent and subsequent electrical problems with that truck. There was also some bad personal mojo around that truck, so it needed to go anyway. The Q7 is rated at 7,700lbs and has been great for towing our little AR190. Arguably you can pull this boat with about anything, so there's that.

We got the SUV thinking we would use the 3rd row for more people aboard for trips to the lake. Likes the idea of enclosed storage space, and I wanted something a little easier to commute in......Well......None of that really worked out for us. SUV is harder to load/unload with gear on longer trips, there's not nearly as much storage anywhere in the vehicle (console, hatch, underseat, etc). I went and bought both the boys off road ride on toys in the last year (dirtbike for the 10yr old, and 4wheeler for the 4yr old). I've had to borrow/rent a trailer almost 10 times over the last year to move this that or the other thing. Sometimes it's furniture for my mom, it was a trailer full of mulch for grandad. We wanted to buy a fire pit kit for our patio project and didn't because there were no trailers to rent that day, and the whole package weighs 1,800lbs. We have more home improvement on the way as well this spring/summer.

I looked into buying a trailer. They're $2k-ish for a 6x12 brand new around here. Little less if I scrounge and find a used one. Then I have to store it somewhere, and the only place to store it is right next to the new patio we have planned. That'll be fun to stare at. Other options include getting a storage facility to house both the boat and trailer, but then it's not really handy. Same with keeping it at work. It's better than renting, but 30+mi away isn't exactly cheap in terms of time or fuel. So we kinda landed on getting another pickup.

Here's what I went and drove last night. 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 with the 3.0L Duramax and damn near every option available.

It drove and presented nicely overall. I've been tracking prices on these for awhile, and this is almost the EXACT option set I would choose if I was able to. This one just happened to pop up on a saved search and it's 12miles from home. The 3.0L definitely SOUNDS like a diesel and drives like one. Lots of low end power, and lots of familiar noises. Overall the ride was much smoother than I remember my '15 having despite having essentially the same suspension setup. Perhaps they revised the tuning at some level? Previous owner as a couple tasteful mods (bed cover, window tint) and a couple stickers and mods I'll remove. Best I can tell he was ex military, or otherwise exceptionally patriotic. Bullet shaped radio antenna, USA Flag valve stem caps, and some political stickers on the inside of the bed. At least he didn't put the stickers on the paint right? Doesn't appear to be smoked in, and the seats look to be in good condition. There are some scuffs/scrapes on the interior, I think he had a dog in the backseat on a regular basis, or something like that. Lots of scuffs on the hand grab handle to get into the drivers seat, and lots of scuffs around the start button. Not sure what that's all about. Only real "red flag" I got from the drive and inspection was a Check Engine Light. I pulled the codes and they're all communication errors between various modules and the PCM. I couldn't find any evidence of electrical shorts or other issues. Dealership offered a free extended warranty if they can't find the root cause before they were to sell it.

We're working numbers today. Bought the Q7 for $42k. NADA puts the value at $41.5k, KDD at $38.3k, and Edmunds at $39.7k. Told them I would like to see $40k on trade value, but would probably take down to $38k. It's NOT a pristine example, the first owner effed it up and I haven't repaired all of those screw ups yet. Truck dropped in price overnight. Was $60.8k when I went to bed, it's $59.3k this morning. Not sure what's going on there. I'd buy it for that if they throw in the warranty to 100k miles on it. I'll bring my own financing, so no issues there, but I might let them shop for a better rate anyway. Last dealership was able to secure me 3.99% for 72mo after I showed up with 4.5% for 72. New bank to work with, but otherwise went smoothly.

SO.......Any thoughts from the gallery? Anyone have a "run away now" reason? Anyone have a "why are you still here, go buy it!" response?

greg10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Anything new or with a short wait available in your area?

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AT4, love the truck. pull my 190 great, don't even feel it back there. Multi Pro tailgate is pretty usefull. Allows me to fit home project items in the bed with out having to roll the tonneau cover up, or use it as a place to sit while watching niece/nephews play sports. Everyone who sits in the back seat instantly says "Wow, there is so much room back here". Granted mine has the 5.3, but I've heard alot of great things about the 3.0 duramax. Only complaint is for the truck having diesel, that the tow rating, is lower than the V8 variant trucks. Think its like 8800lbs. Believe GM was worried about overheating issues. You can check out GM-trucks forum and search for any concerns with the 3.0 duramax.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice truck. 22k miles a year seems high. Love our SLT!

Edit: Big fan of diesels. 6.6 duramax/allison in my last truck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice truck. 22k miles a year seems high. Love our SLT!

Edit: Big fan of diesels. 6.6 duramax/allison in my last truck.
I drive around 20k miles a year. It's about on par for my driving.

Engine hours were 1227 at 44k miles it works out to about 35mph average. Makes me feel like they were mostly highway miles, that's a pretty high average. Total trip meter said 22mpg, also indicating a lot of highway miles.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AT4, love the truck. pull my 190 great, don't even feel it back there. Multi Pro tailgate is pretty usefull. Allows me to fit home project items in the bed with out having to roll the tonneau cover up, or use it as a place to sit while watching niece/nephews play sports. Everyone who sits in the back seat instantly says "Wow, there is so much room back here". Granted mine has the 5.3, but I've heard alot of great things about the 3.0 duramax. Only complaint is for the truck having diesel, that the tow rating, is lower than the V8 variant trucks. Think its like 8800lbs. Believe GM was worried about overheating issues. You can check out GM-trucks forum and search for any concerns with the 3.0 duramax.
Thanks for the info and feedback. Door sticker on this one shows 9k tow rating. My '15 Sierra with the 5.3/6spd combo had a 9.2k rating. Doubt I'll ever really get close to that with either. Honestly a midsize pickup would probably do me fine, but I want the interior space of a fullsize.

Can't find anything super damning on the 3.0L engine. Most people seem to really like it. Lots of "long start" issues, but that appears to be fixed with a software update via TSB from the dealership. Best I can tell driveline warranty is good through 60k miles.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anything new or with a short wait available in your area?
Inventory is super low locally. Never stopped me before though. This will be the first car I've bought within a 100mi radius in over a decade. I've gone as far as Winnipeg to get the vehicle I wanted.

I like the '22 refreshed interior on the newer AT4's. Price tag is about $10k more than this used one. Wait time is in the 6-8wks according to the local dealership.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Inventory is super low locally. Never stopped me before though. This will be the first car I've bought within a 100mi radius in over a decade. I've gone as far as Winnipeg to get the vehicle I wanted.

I like the '22 refreshed interior on the newer AT4's. Price tag is about $10k more than this used one. Wait time is in the 6-8wks according to the local dealership.
If you were closer, I'd say buy my AT4 lol. I'm actually upgrading to the AT4X, new truck is suppose to be here 5/7

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We have always had GMC in our house for the past 30 years so I am a bit of a homer on the subject. I currently have a 2015 Yukon SLT with 5.3 gas that has been my towing vehicle for years. It currently has 188k on it but is in excellent shape (and my grandkids are better looking and smarter than yours, so take that with some perspective) but we haul across mountains with the boat and the side by sides so I wanted a bit more truck. I have a 2022 Denali 2500 HD on order with the 6.6 Duramax. It was ordered August 6, 2021, built in January, and still sitting in Flint.

My point is this, the mini Duramax is solid and has more torque down low than the 5.3 gas and I think it’s a great fit in the 1500 series trucks. When I started looking for trucks I decided on new since used prices were only 6-7k below new on a 85k truck. My wife’s Terrain is now worth more in trade than what we paid for it new (2020 with 14k miles), it’s about at original sticker price.

The AT4 is really a Denali trim set with a 1.5 inch lift and the chrome deleted, so really a nice ride. My only red flag would be why is the price low and why has it not sold yet? You are always taking a chance with a used vehicle but less so with a GMC certified vehicle. That said, I put about 40k per year on the ones I drive and with the exception of the one on order I have always driven used (wife gets the new ones…)

03 Envoy bought with 36k gave to son with 450k

15 Yukon bought with 16k currently has 188k

01 Jimmy new gave to daughter with 325k and it’s still on the road.

Good luck, you should be fine

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The AT4 is really a Denali trim set with a 1.5 inch lift and the chrome deleted, so really a nice ride. My only red flag would be why is the price low and why has it not sold yet?
I think the price is pretty accurate. The dealer I work with on all my GMC purchases has a 2020 AT4 with 6.2 and all bells/whistles with 19K miles selling for 59.5K. currently. I've been watching the market pretty closely to maximize my trade in of my 2019 AT4, and would have to say from what i've seen that is the current average dealer price for them.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you were closer, I'd say buy my AT4 lol. I'm actually upgrading to the AT4X, new truck is suppose to be here 5/7
Dude.....you have no idea. I really like the new AT4X. I just don't want to drop quite that much cash. I can afford my $60k setup here, but it's more than I want to spend already.

I've driven further. Buffalo isn't that bad. If it had the 3.0L I would have already sent you a PM :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have always had GMC in our house for the past 30 years so I am a bit of a homer on the subject. I currently have a 2015 Yukon SLT with 5.3 gas that has been my towing vehicle for years. It currently has 188k on it but is in excellent shape (and my grandkids are better looking and smarter than yours, so take that with some perspective) but we haul across mountains with the boat and the side by sides so I wanted a bit more truck. I have a 2022 Denali 2500 HD on order with the 6.6 Duramax. It was ordered August 6, 2021, built in January, and still sitting in Flint.

My point is this, the mini Duramax is solid and has more torque down low than the 5.3 gas and I think it’s a great fit in the 1500 series trucks. When I started looking for trucks I decided on new since used prices were only 6-7k below new on a 85k truck. My wife’s Terrain is now worth more in trade than what we paid for it new (2020 with 14k miles), it’s about at original sticker price.

The AT4 is really a Denali trim set with a 1.5 inch lift and the chrome deleted, so really a nice ride. My only red flag would be why is the price low and why has it not sold yet? You are always taking a chance with a used vehicle but less so with a GMC certified vehicle. That said, I put about 40k per year on the ones I drive and with the exception of the one on order I have always driven used (wife gets the new ones…)

03 Envoy bought with 36k gave to son with 450k

15 Yukon bought with 16k currently has 188k

01 Jimmy new gave to daughter with 325k and it’s still on the road.

Good luck, you should be fine
This would be my 3rd GMC.

We had an '03 Yukon years ago. Then my '15 Sierra. Both of those were serious work horses that we enjoyed and hated getting rid of. I too am a fan of the brand. Both of those were SLT's with high options on top of that. Both were 5.3's. The Yukon had 185k when we traded it for a Ford Focus (I was driving like 250mi/day in 2011 when gas was like $4.5/gal and we were poor). The Sierra I bought with 36k miles and traded away with 110k miles. Aside from an AC condenser (known issue) it was great to us.

This is the last body style for the column shifter. I'm not a fan of console shifters in general. I really like the refreshed '22+ dash layout, and really like this '14-'18 console and seats. I've always been interested in a diesel, even in the early '00 Jetta's, so this might be my chance to give it a try. Assuming the deal works out.

This particular AT4 has some Geolander H/T tires on it. They look brand new, so I won't change them out if I get the truck, but they definitely don't fit the style/feel of the truck. I'm sure they're quiet and ride nice though.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I think the price is pretty accurate. The dealer I work with on all my GMC purchases has a 2020 AT4 with 6.2 and all bells/whistles with 19K miles selling for 59.5K. currently. I've been watching the market pretty closely to maximize my trade in of my 2019 AT4, and would have to say from what i've seen that is the current average dealer price for them.
I haven’t researched the price on this truck so I will gladly defer to you. My mistake

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree.....Looking around on Cargurus and a few other sites. I can find some examples with slightly lower miles for the same cost, or a lot lower miles for a few $k more. It's a competitive price.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven’t researched the price on this truck so I will gladly defer to you. My mistake
We are all just fans of GMC lol, and all know that the market is super crazy right now. My dad has a 2021 GMC 3500 Denali, that he ended up in an accident with. Insurance felt it was better off paying 50K to rebuild the truck, new frame and all, then to try and replace the vehilce.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We are all just fans of GMC lol, and all know that the market is super crazy right now. My dad has a 2021 GMC 3500 Denali, that he ended up in an accident with. Insurance felt it was better off paying 50K to rebuild the truck, new frame and all, then to try and replace the vehilce.
We just ordered a new 2022 Terrain Denali since the delta between the 2020 SLT and the new one is 5k. It is crazy! And waiting for 9 months for a new truck that hasn’t moved out of Flint yet is even crazier. I’m afraid the days of having a custom order in your garage in 8-12 weeks are gone for now… Yamaha boats the same. 🥹

Hope your dad gets his back on the road soon and in good shape.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dodge durango 2021 R/T with the Tow N Go Package is great for towing and a blast to drive. Ordered it and it took 8 weeks the previous one was sold at 135K miles the best performing vehicle I have ever owned.

20220402_165255.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Did I see an Ad on TV last night for 0% financing on GM trucks? Might be worth looking at a new one if you qualify?
0% for 36 months in April and only goes to 5/2. They renewed it last month but may not carry it forward. Credit rating of +730 is all you need to qualify.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
0% for 36 months in April and only goes to 5/2. They renewed it last month but may not carry it forward. Credit rating of +730 is all you need to qualify.
Love the interest rate. Not sure I could stomach that payment though. Gonna be around $2k/mo with that short term. Ouch. I make extra payments, but not that extra.