• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible tow vehicle purchase. (Revised)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love our home away from home, but of course every time I go boating it is a minimum of an hour and a half drive. Our camper is at a lot 3-1/2 hours away so much easier to have a permanent spot for the summer.

Nickp98

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Man, my neighbors have been trying hard to talk us into a camper. several of them have lots they keep year round near the local lake. Both of them also have boats (24ft Pontoon, and Centurion 237) and spend a good portion of thier time on the lake during the day. I just can't wrap my head around setting up a second home site less than an hours drive from home. I'll just come home at that point, and the permanent mounting of the camper looses some of the fun of finding new places to "play".

In other news, I'm headed to look at this 2016 Durango tomorrow to replace my POSS......Aside from ditching the fender hash marks ASAP, any thoughts?!?!

Your going to be happy with an R/T. I have about 15k miles on mine and I drag my AR240 around every weekend and have been very happy with it. It pulls really well and it rides great with and without the boat. Bigger 3rd row than my previous Tahoe.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your going to be happy with an R/T. I have about 15k miles on mine and I drag my AR240 around every weekend and have been very happy with it. It pulls really well and it rides great with and without the boat. Bigger 3rd row than my previous Tahoe.
I had a 2003 Yukon in the past. It was a great tow vehicle, but I like something a little less "marhsmallow-y" to drive on a daily basis. Part of why I ended up with the POSS. It has cooling problems though, and I'm looking for that 3rd row again. Buddy at the office has let me drive his '17 R/T a few times. It sure seems like a really nice platform. Also seems to be a good "value". Lots of capability without the ridiculous price tags on the GM Fullsize trucks.

Of course we have "compared" a time or two as well on trips to/from lunch. I have him by 1-1.5 SUV-Lengths by 40mph, and then it's a dead heat to 100+mph. I think thats a function of my 4spd with 4.10 gears and 6.0L engine, compared to his 5.7L with lower gears, but an 8spd trans. Mine ran a 14.0@99 earlier this spring, magazines say the R/T is in the low 15's@97 ish. Seems about right from our "comparisons" :D :D

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u. The Durango rides in a Mercedes based SUV chassis. So, it definitely has good bones.

My wife loves hers. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, my neighbors have been trying hard to talk us into a camper. several of them have lots they keep year round near the local lake. Both of them also have boats (24ft Pontoon, and Centurion 237) and spend a good portion of thier time on the lake during the day. I just can't wrap my head around setting up a second home site less than an hours drive from home. I'll just come home at that point, and the permanent mounting of the camper looses some of the fun of finding new places to "play".

In other news, I'm headed to look at this 2016 Durango tomorrow to replace my POSS......Aside from ditching the fender hash marks ASAP, any thoughts?!?!
Hmmm...I am a Dodge fan boy and that Durango is pretty sweet but...... for that kind of cash, I would rather buy a brand new 1500 Ram Laramie loaded up with crew cab. 17k less miles and full factory warranty. Just a thought even knowing you want a 3rd row.

Come on Ram....build a full size SUV to compete with the Escalade/Tahoe!!!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm...I am a Dodge fan boy and that Durango is pretty sweet but...... for that kind of cash, I would rather buy a brand new 1500 Ram Laramie loaded up with crew cab. 17k less miles and full factory warranty. Just a thought even knowing you want a 3rd row.

Come on Ram....build a full size SUV to compete with the Escalade/Tahoe!!!!!
Gotta have that 3rd row, otherwise I would be all over a fullsize pickup (probably a 2500 to be honest). I also have seriously considered a diesel Grand Cherokee, but again, want the 3rd row in the tow vehicle for taking kids and friends. I really do think that the Durango sits in a sweet spot on price/performance. You get a lot of capability for the money you spend. I have a good number of friends that were bitten by Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler electronics issues in the early 2000's and are warning me to stay away. I haven't heard any issues of that nature with the new ones, but I'm otherwise convinced a Durango is in my future. Just gotta find the right one......R/T, Sunroof, AWD, 2nd Row Bench, and a Hitch is a RARE find. Only a couple within a 300 mile search on Autotrader!

Also, I really think that the Durango competes nicely with the Tahoe/Yukon (in short wheelbase config). More power, less weight, only about 1k less tow rating, and a SIGNIFICANTLY better interior. I can't believe the prices people are getting for used Tahoes and Yukons. Hell even the 3rd row in the Tahoe is outdated, and has to be REMOVED from the vehicle. GM is resting on thier laurels and just raking in the cash on these giant SUV's. $60k buys a pretty damn nice SUV, and the fullsize GM's are just OK. I've been a GM guy my whole life and am really disappointed with the current state of fullsize SUV affairs within GM.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Headed to look at this one on Monday. The other one is a little more than I want to spend.

2015 Durango R/T

Anything I should be on the lookout for?

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Headed to look at this one on Monday. The other one is a little more than I want to spend.

2015 Durango R/T

Anything I should be on the lookout for?
The only two things that come to mind that i have heard of out there is the water pump leaking and leaky shocks, but those are rare. Other than that there really shouldn't be anything to look out for. I have a 15 R/T and haven't had any issues with anything.
The 2015 is the second year of the new body style and had all the kinks worked out. Solid engine, solid vehicle.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went and drove the most local R/T tonight. Nice platform with a TON of features. Makes my SS look like a cellphone of the 90's compared to the R/T's iPhone like gadgetry. Truck drove nice and tight, and was fairly comfy right out of the gate. Ventilated seats were nice. Paddle shifters were disabled for some reason, but was easily enabled in the settings menu. This particular truck wasn't for me as I can easily tell it was a smoker who owned it before. I smelled it as soon as he opened the door. What a shame to ruin that truck in only 17k miles.

Have some hurdles to jump through to dump my SS as well. Lot super-lowballed me on the trade-in offer. Allegedly having a Canadian truck in the US is as bad as having a salvaged title. I think he's full of crap, but will be checking with the other lot before I make the 50mi drive to look at the other truck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Made the 60mi drive to the one in Elizabethtown, KY. It was a fine example despite the "high" miles on it. Didn't bring it home though, as I'm still not completely comfortable with that level of payment on a vehicle that isn't brand new. The search continues I suppose.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Made the 60mi drive to the one in Elizabethtown, KY. It was a fine example despite the "high" miles on it. Didn't bring it home though, as I'm still not completely comfortable with that level of payment on a vehicle that isn't brand new. The search continues I suppose.
@2kwik4u, I loved the Trailblazer SS when it first came out. In my opinion, it was the ultimate sport and utility vehicle on the market considering that it could fit a sheet of plywood in the back.
I understand your point that the payment has to be worth the enjoyment/utility of the vehicle. One thing that this forum is good for is helping folks spend their money, so, if you're gonna have a car payment, you might as well make sure that you will enjoy the vehicle enough to make it all worthwhile. So, here's your Durango:

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Administrative can you change the title of this thread to "Possible tow vehicle purchase (revised).

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, I'm going to try and not make this post to long.
We bought a 2016 dodge durango limited 5 weeks ago (you probably saw the picture). We negotiated in the purchase having the cooling system upgraded to the towing package specs. Well, this turned out to be a much bigger job than anyone expected. After having the Durango in the shop for more than 3 weeks. It was determined that this upgrade was not going to work (the car kept throwing fault codes after the work was done). This plus the fact that the dealership messed up our financing, led us to have to come to an agreement on what the next step would be.
Long story short. We finally came to terms on a brand new Durango that has all the features we wanted, plus the towing package already installed. I really think that in the long run, it worked out well for us but we did have to make a compromise.
The car that we are getting has what is called the "Brass Monkey" package. Which has a black grille (which is fine), but has bronze colored wheels. We're still a little unsure about this, but we're waiting to see it in person. I'm curious of what you all think of this package. I have to admit, it's growing on me.
This is the one we are supposed to be getting.
https://www.griegermotors.com/inventory/new-2017-dodge-durango-gt-awd-sport-utility-1c4rdjdg6hc907578

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, I'm going to try and not make this post to long.
We bought a 2016 dodge durango limited 5 weeks ago (you probably saw the picture). We negotiated in the purchase having the cooling system upgraded to the towing package specs. Well, this turned out to be a much bigger job than anyone expected. After having the Durango in the shop for more than 3 weeks. It was determined that this upgrade was not going to work (the car kept throwing fault codes after the work was done). This plus the fact that the dealership messed up our financing, led us to have to come to an agreement on what the next step would be.
Long story short. We finally came to terms on a brand new Durango that has all the features we wanted, plus the towing package already installed. I really think that in the long run, it worked out well for us but we did have to make a compromise.
The car that we are getting has what is called the "Brass Monkey" package. Which has a black grille (which is fine), but has bronze colored wheels. We're still a little unsure about this, but we're waiting to see it in person. I'm curious of what you all think of this package. I have to admit, it's growing on me.
This is the one we are supposed to be getting.
https://www.griegermotors.com/inventory/new-2017-dodge-durango-gt-awd-sport-utility-1c4rdjdg6hc907578
The wheels are not a reason to pass up the car. If they become a factor, just black them out with some spray paint or have them painted.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My buddy has brass monkey color rims on his helcat , they look cool in person !!! You will like them :)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those "Brass Monkey" wheels are very sought after in the Dodge Aftermarket Community. If you don't like them I promise you can sell them and make money on them! Absolute worst case, you hate the wheels. Throw an ad on the Durango Forums looking for a trade, and I'm sure you can make an even trade for a set you like.......Personally, I would keep 'em!

Looked at the truck you have picked out. Aside from the V6, looks very similar to what I'm looking for. The deals on new Durangos right now are outrageous! Had a local dealer quote me $41,500 for a brand new R/T that had an MSRP of $49,750ish. Over $8k in discounts! Unbelievable really! Makes paying $35k for a gently used one seem kind silly!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You get this thing home yet Scott? NEED PICTURES!! :D:D:D

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, here's a couple pics of the new ride. Cleaned the up the boat today and took it to my dad's for winter storage with the Durango. This thing pulled it great. Didnt seem to be struggling at all. RPM's never went over 3500 or so before it shifted and the trans temp stayed right in the middle of its range. This V6 and 8 speed tranny is a great combination. What a great vehicle.
20170930_103131.jpg 20170930_164227.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, here's a couple pics of the new ride. Cleaned the up the boat today and took it to my dad's for winter storage with the Durango. This thing pulled it great. Didnt seem to be struggling at all. RPM's never went over 3500 or so before it shifted and the trans temp stayed right in the middle of its range. This V6 and 8 speed tranny is a great combination. What a great vehicle.
View attachment 64724 View attachment 64725
Beautiful ride!