• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear facing seats?

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone heard of any changes in marine laws that would allow us to sit in rear facing seats when underway (obviously common sense applies). Seems like the stadium type seating arrangement with no prop to worry about should get some kind of exemption.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is going to vary from state to state. My brother is a police officer and he checked SC statutes and as long as they don't have their feet hanging off the back of the boat, it is legal here.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone heard of any changes in marine laws that would allow us to sit in rear facing seats when underway (obviously common sense applies). Seems like the stadium type seating arrangement with no prop to worry about should get some kind of exemption.
Lots of discussion on this topic....here is one thread.

No one sits back there on my boat due to carbon monoxide risk. Just not worth the risk for me. On NC lakes the water is NC red clay colored so we'd never find a submerged body (IE someone who succumbed to CO poisoning, passes out, rolls off the back and drowns)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am curious how there is any carbon monoxide risk? You are in an open environment.... with wind blowing everything away.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Older wake9 video but it explains the dangers well with testing. At idle or low speeds the air circulates back there. At higher speeds it dissipates away faster than it lingers. Just like the back of a truck or car gets dirty because of air recirculating. I don't allow anyone to sit back there while underway or with the engine on. If you've ever filled a ballast bag on the swim deck with the engines on you probably have gotten a buzz from the fumes. I know I have.

Last edited:

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am curious how there is any carbon monoxide risk? You are in an open environment.... with wind blowing everything away.
Arrow Dynamics create eddies of calm air on the swim platform and gives CO2 a place to build up.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t know for sure if it’s illegal to let people ride on the swim deck here in California but just assume it is because whenever I let people ride there someone on another boat or on shore will yell to me that I’m setting myself up for a ticket.