• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuilding Yamaha Jet Boat Clean Out Plugs

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had never experienced new plugs so I had no idea how bad mine were.

I ordered two part # FOR-67609-09-00 - MANHOLE COVER REPAIR SET kits.

It took less then ten minutes to install the new lower parts. After doing so I found that my plugs would simply drop into place then press down to lock. There was almost no force required to pull them after unlocking. My five year old could install and pull the plugs.

Before the rebuild I had to lean on the plugs to seat them and pull hard to pull them. One had stuck in place at the end of last year. I had parked the boat under my deck so I used a small ratchet strap from the bottom of the deck to the plug and it came out easily.

#StuckPlugs

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did that repair last spring. After two years of being in a wet slip, mine had become very hard to set and remove (needed to use a rope some days) so I bit the bullet and bought the kits to repair both. I had the same experience - like a brand new boat again. While it sucks to have to spend the money to repair them (Yamaha really, really, really needs to fix the major design flaw that is the whole blow out plug mess) I think I have resolved to do this repair at least every other year if not yearly. Costs about the same as new spark plugs each year and made using the boat that much less of a hassle.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great tip guys. Mine are almost there. Maybe next year.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce where did you order these from? Is it the same part number for all boat years?

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All the listings say repair set but I'm assuming I still need to buy 2 one for each clean out plug if I'm having issues with both correct?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce where did you order these from? Is it the same part number for all boat years?
Yes, it is the same part number for every Yamaha since 2000. The only boats it will not fit had screw in clean out plugs.

Just Google the part number and order from the least expensive place that has them in stock. I believe I used Parts Pak last time. I wish one of our member dealers would offer a member discount on these.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All the listings say repair set but I'm assuming I still need to buy 2 one for each clean out plug if I'm having issues with both correct?
Yes, you need two. It is the lower portion of the plug.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, my total I recall was about $80!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Living here in Thailand and using my Boat in saltwater i find prevention better than cure, As I've explained before getting parts here can be a nightmare so this is what i do after use and after flushing the engines, A bucket of soapy water and just leave them soaking for a couple of days, 06 230 still has original plugs and still fit in no problem with ease.

IMG_2987.JPG

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I drop mine in a mix of water & Salt Away. At the end of the season I break them apart, drain out any water and grease the internals. They get stored in the basement for the winter.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drop mine in a mix of water & Salt Away. At the end of the season I break them apart, drain out any water and grease the internals. They get stored in the basement for the winter.
Yes i understand that Gym but there's no closed season here and i find soapy water works well and the Boats used again in a week or so if not sooner

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When the wife isn't looking run them through the dish washer

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problems with mine so far. Just finished season #6. (6 seasons of VERY light use I'll admit.)

I yank 'em and leave them laying across the clean-out port opening after every outing. They don't go back in until the boat is about to go in the water.

About the time they discontinue the rebuild kit is about the time I'll need them...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just a couple things, the internal spring is very light duty, when the T handle us up that spring is being compressed, therefore it is better for the spring to leave the T handle in the locked position if you are leaving the plugs out .
Also part of the issue with the internal tray being left in the unlocked position is the deposits that can build up in the track and prevent the tray from going all the way forward when you do install the plug.
I believe if you have not viewed the video I made explaining the plugs you may wish to take a look at it because it pretty well covers everything you need to know to understand the plug and it's working parts etc.
Remember water gets inside the plugs so any suspended deposits , salt or other dissolved minerals in that water will be left behind when the water evaporates.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am not 100% certain of this, but shortly after the kit became available, I heard rumor that the new lower ABS shell in the kit was slightly more tapered and thus, smaller, than the previous clean out plug lower halves. As a result, it won't get "as stuck" as the previous would even if they were new. So the kit will improve the experience with them. Cleaning is the key. But it isn't just the plug that needs that cleaning, the neck, the aluminum seat, and the tapered aluminum section below the seat, must be kept corrosion free. My own personal belief is that how your boat is used, stored, and kept, will impact the plugs more or less than others. All water is not equal, and salt water is not harder on these plugs than bad fresh water. Some salt water is WAY more harsh than other salt water. So there isn't a good measuring stick. But all the install and explanation help is just that...HELPFUL! So thanks for the contribution!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cleaning is the key. But it isn't just the plug that needs that cleaning, the neck, the aluminum seat, and the tapered aluminum section below the seat, must be kept corrosion free. My own personal belief is that how your boat is used, stored, and kept, will impact the plugs more or less than others. All water is not equal, and salt water is not harder on these plugs than bad fresh water. Some salt water is WAY more harsh than other salt water. So there isn't a good measuring stick. But all the install and explanation help is just that...HELPFUL! So thanks for the contribution!
Agreed on keeping the plugs and the tubes they go in clean & free of debris. The seat and the dog slots on the vertical wall of the tube are critical, IMHO.
We had a good discussion on this topic about a year ago, might be worth a look for the curious: https://jetboaters.net/threads/cleanout-tube-slot-discovery.3095/#post-50487

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did this yesterday and wow! what a difference. I can literally drop them in the whole and if it is lined up the will fall right in to the seat no pushing at all just push the lock button and go. Pull out is just as easy. Great post @Bruce I would have never thought to look for a repair kit on this and would have wound up just fighting them all the time which would have made the boating experience a little less enjoyable. Quick simple job as well always like those!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you do this keep the plugs in a bag if they will be apart for any length of time and do not mess with the plug buttons/handles at all. Those little springs love to jump out and disappear forever. JetBoatPilot sells replacements, not sure who else does.