• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recently purchased boat back at the dealer for overheating alarm.

After speaking to the mechanic Jerry (service manager) telling him that I ran it at 50 mph for an hour he said that those motors will reject that velocity after being run at that speed for that amount of time.

How does a mechanic/service manager back off a statement like this ? He was hoping you go away, if they weren't meant to run at "velocity" why are they bothering to water test it?

Do yourself a favor and stop dealing with these people. They've already shown you can't trust them.

Did we get a result on this?

If they cant find a problem tell them to change the temp sensor anyway. Then u know its not a false reading and the engine is really getting hot for some reason.

@robert843 he was out with us on Saturday and we ran pretty hard. He didn't have the same issue again so either what he did to clean it out or what the dealer did fixed it. He had another issue related to his throttle vibrating like crazy he said. Joys of buying a second hand boat and not knowing what the previous owner did. I know that story well unfortunately with my last boat.

Throttle vibration is usually caused by the reverse buckets hanging down in the flow of water exiting the nozzle at speed so check the position of your reverse buckets and be sure they both clear the opening of the nozzle also the first thing you do is tighten the large white nylon nut where the reverse cable exits the boat . if that is loose it allows the reverse to hang down low and do what you are experiencing, if it is not loose and the bucket is hanging low you then adjust the cable

Will the dealer Boaters Exchange didn't find no issues at all they say I went out this weekend with @Mystic1906 and some other good friends and I ran party hard no alarms came up but the dealer adjusted the throttles they because they were off while running this weekend on the way back to the dock my starboard throttle was vibrating now if it's not one thing it another but before I took it in for the alarm I gave it a good cleaning like I was told maybe that did the job.

Throttle vibration is usually caused by the reverse buckets hanging down in the flow of water exiting the nozzle at speed so check the position of your reverse buckets and be sure they both clear the opening of the nozzle also the first thing you do is tighten the large white nylon nut where the reverse cable exits the boat . if that is loose it allows the reverse to hang down low and do what you are experiencing, if it is not loose and the bucket is hanging low you then adjust the cable

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any video to do this adjustment?

I am sure if you search you can find one but first tighten the big plastic nut where the cable exits the back of the boat and with the controls in forward you can see if the reverse is hanging down in the way of the nozzle opening, if it needs adjusting you casn do that right on the end of the cable where it attaches to the reverse bucket bracket

Ok sounds good will do that tomorrow thanks for the info.

It is not difficult and you can find many posts on adjusting the reverse , unfortunately at this time of night my eyes won't read the screen very well even with my glasses on so I avoid doing a lot of typing.

I'd hook up the yds and graph the temp. If the sensor is falling you'll see spikes. If it's overheating it will show a gradual rise.

Is there any video to do this adjustment?
Here’s a write up on how to adjust them. One of mine was vibrating when I test rode the boat. This adjustment took about 5 minutes once the boat was put back on the trailer. Keep in mind that yours is a different year and model, it might be slightly different. Also, measure and compare both buckets before adjusting and adjust the affected side to match the non affected.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/neutral-creep.8877/#post-152579

@Hilario Perez I purchased my boat in a private sale a couple of years ago. On the first run, my boat flashed an overheat alarm. And after lurking on this site, before I joined, I learned what to look for. It ended up being mud dobber wasps plugging the "pisser" holes on the starboard side of the boat. I ran a piece of large grass trimmer string in the water outlets to clean them out. Now I look every time we go out to make sure water is exiting there. This forum saved me a trip to the dealer/ repair shop and my YDS has shown no codes since. My wife and I have had many trouble free hours on the Yamaha since. 50 mph? Good for you my max is only 48.8 mph..
What kind of YDS do you have? I've seen some an Amazon not sure of the quality.

ok I have to ask why are people addressing 2 year old threads today like they are recent.

Back