• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing oil filter without changing oil? 2009 212x

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Took my boat out Saturday and noticed a tiny bit of oil in my bilge. I cleaned my engine bay really well before we went out, so I know it wasn't there previously. Searching around it seems there's a couple of different theories it could be all leading towards the oil filter for my year boat(2009 212x). The oil was slightly high so I removed some, that MAY have been it, but it's possible it's the Yamaha filter on there that's problematic. There's no oil anywhere on the engine. I've wiped all over it with a paper towel and not a drop of oil anywhere.

I'd rather not change the oil, it was done not even an hour or 2 ago of use. Was wondering is it possible to just swap out the filter without all the oil draining out? I've done this before on other vehicles and it's a non issue.....not sure about these motors. I'd suspect it'd be fine but doing some searching I couldn't find anything.

There's a chance at this point with the extra oil removed it's a non issue, however coming up on a holiday weekend and the boat will be getting a ton of use. So don't wanna be stranded or having to spend a bunch of time working on the boat if I don't have to.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No issues at all. Go for it. You’ll lose 2-3oz. of oil per engine in the filter medium itself.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you get oil off the filter when you were wiping with the paper towel? If so, did you try tightening the filter?
ONLY place I could get any semblance of what looked like oil is from down under here.....which easily could have come from the seal on the filter and leaked it's way down. Pic is blurry cause I put my phone down under there and tried to take a pic with the front camera.

I did double check tightness of the oil filter and it was tight. Fortunately I actually helped with getting this boat ready for sale before I actually bought it, so I helped with the oil change. That bottom bolt was never touched. Looks like in the pic you can EVER so slightly see some oil there, but once again who knows if that actually came from the filter seal and leaked down. I didn't check the tightness of that allen head......isn't that the location you pull to drain the motor of all oil during a change?

took about that much total out of both engines and it's slightly below the full mark when warm. So my hope is it was just over filled and leaked out due to the pressure. FYI there's no oil in either one of my air filters so it isn't like it was severely overfilled.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No issues at all. Go for it. You’ll lose 2-3oz. of oil per engine in the filter medium itself.
Easy enough. I have extra oil on hand if need be, but honestly there's likely still some oil to spare. I've ordered some of the K&N filters, which seems to get pretty decent reviews on here. They'll be here tomorrow. I'm taking the boat out for an evening/late afternoon cruise on friday after work prior to the weekend festivities. I'll give everything another once over before proceeding with anything.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, I used K&N filters on all my vehicles because of the 1" nut and not having to deal with filter wrenches, but for this application, they seem to be overkill since you can access them so easily. Don't take that as a negative against using them, that's for you to decide. I will continue to use them in my cars, but I don't see my reasoning to be as necessary on the boat. If the cost is comparable, I'll go with a K&N, but this is one where I won't have a problem going with an OEM filter.

Peter jogodka

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Careful with k&n filters, to each their own but they sold out a while back and quality went to crap. I work on toyota's that take the same filter as the jetboat 1.8 HO and replaced a LOT of engines aftet that fancy "nut" on the top of the filter blew off/apart.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@suke You mentioned your oil had only 1 to 2 hours on it. Don't the filters have the same time on them? If so there should be no reason for a filter change. If you have the MR-1 motor they are known to seep slightly. I changed from full synthetic oil to a 50/50 blend that has all but eliminated the seeping.

I'm hoping you're changing your filters during each oil change. I have been using the K&N filters with every oil change over the last 8 years while operating exclusively in the ocean and have had great results. No leaks or rust issues and very easy to remove. Remember to put a light coating of oil on the filter O ring and tighten the filters by hand only.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
M r 1 engines do have the issue with the oil cooler bolts breaking so if it continues to leak research the broken bolt issue one of many threads on that subject https://jetboaters.net/threads/another-oil-cooler-bolt-sheared.1282/page-8#post-230816
Didn't think the 2009 was susceptible to that. I'll take a gander. It's still leaking, but not enough right now for me to dig in mid season and create a long down time. It doesn't appear it's coming from the back side of the motor. Although oil can flow to places it isn't necessarily coming from.
@suke You mentioned your oil had only 1 to 2 hours on it. Don't the filters have the same time on them? If so there should be no reason for a filter change. If you have the MR-1 motor they are known to seep slightly. I changed from full synthetic oil to a 50/50 blend that has all but eliminated the seeping.

I'm hoping you're changing your filters during each oil change. I have been using the K&N filters with every oil change over the last 8 years while operating exclusively in the ocean and have had great results. No leaks or rust issues and very easy to remove. Remember to put a light coating of oil on the filter O ring and tighten the filters by hand only.
I am, I originally thought my oil filter was suspect for a leak so was looking to change them out. Found out it's not the oil filter.