• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing the trim on our "storage closet" door opening

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I finally got fed up with the trim this weekend. It seems the trim kept coming off more and more each week.

So I just placed my order. It sounds like, based on everyone else's comments, I will get it by the weekend. So now another project in store for me. But this one will be well worth it.

Thanks @itsdgm & @Julian

Also, I could not find the 8451A61 part number. But I did find 8451A13 which was confirmed by @justason Dimensions were the same so I assume this was the correct item.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
hello @96Pirate the alternate part number should be fine. One thing to add to this subject. Choose where you place your splice and/or paint the ends. Mine has since oxidized where the two ends meet and the drip runs down the edge of the seal.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hello @96Pirate the alternate part number should be fine. One thing to add to this subject. Choose where you place your splice and/or paint the ends. Mine has since oxidized where the two ends meet and the drip runs down the edge of the seal.
Ahh...thanks for the tip. Great to know.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can say my husband did ours last week finally ! Thanks @jcyamaharider :thumbsup:

The door is harder to latch but I will take that over sticky fingers !

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I installed this a year or so ago...what a great replacement. McMaster Carr is great. Love the fact that regular ground shipping is really overnight to my zip code. I order stuff there all the time.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Icatfish247

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just replaced my trim this evening after finding this thread a week ago. Very easy, inexpensive, quick shipping, and I actually like how the door closes better with it now.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cleaned the trim and the edge of the cupboard, then used silicone (like bath tub caulk) a couple of years ago and it is still in place.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought the replacement last year knowing that mine will eventually get annoyingly sticky. That day has finally come and I will be doing my soon as well.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is one of the easiest and most effective fixes for our boats that I could ever recommend. I did the storage door a year or two ago and shortly thereafter realized that it was the perfect fix for the exact same issue I was having with my tables. The crappy vinyl edge trim was literally oozed glue all over the place. My wife loves using the tables, but hated reaching into the storage compartment to grab one and set it up.
Now she's totally happy and it's one more little thing she doesn't have to bug me to do for her. Next up is the edge around the underseat storage in the bow. The edges are raw and sooner or later someone will catch a splinter. Then I'll probably do all the openings that have raw edges.... :cool:

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I ordered 50' of this trim to finish off the raw edges in all my storage areas (under the bow seats, wet storage areas behind swim platform seats, etc). I couldn't believe how fast it shipped -- the trim was on my doorstep in less than 24 hours!
Now I have a new weekend project, weather permitting...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered 50' of this trim to finish off the raw edges in all my storage areas (under the bow seats, wet storage areas behind swim platform seats, etc). I couldn't believe how fast it shipped -- the trim was on my doorstep in less than 24 hours!
Now I have a new weekend project, weather permitting...
That's awesome @David Decker I was pleasantly surprised at how fast it shipped out too. Take lots of pics of where you use all of that trim. I'd love to see them.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I installed some of the new molding today - it was very easy to cut with aviation snips and it went on very easily, but appears to grip firmly.
I went around the edges of the wet storage areas behind the swim platform seats. I'm planning to do some additional storage areas next weekend,
weather permitting.

This should make reaching into various storage areas a lot safer for everyone's forearms!

IMG_6029.JPG

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha will be sending you a thank you card for doing their R&D for them. Great solution.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@itsdgm 10ft is enough for the 21 foot boat storage door? I have been meaning to do this forever and finally and going to order...

Just want to make sure i dont come up a few inches short...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm 10ft is enough for the 21 foot boat storage door? I have been meaning to do this forever and finally and going to order...

Just want to make sure i dont come up a few inches short...
It was enough on my 07 AR210 with about 18" to spare (I just measured the leftover piece ;) ). But I'm not sure if there was a change to the door opening on the newer ones.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perfect thanks, I think your 2007 is the same as my 2011, i dont think any changes happened until 2012, i will order 1o feet then, thanks!