• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing the trim on our "storage closet" door opening

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got tired of having sticky glue exposed and gaps in the corners of the door due to the original factory trim shrinking. So I decided to replace it. I know that other guys have done this mod already, but I didn't see it posted on Jetboaters.net yet. Also, thanks to Julian for providing me the correct item number to order.

I started by ordering self gripping plastic edge trim with metal core 9/64"-1/4"opening 21/32" H, White 10' length, item # 8451A61... from McMaster-Carr It cost $11 plus shipping.

Here's what I used to complete the task.
1. Replacement door trim
2. Goo Gone
3. Cloth Rag
3. Something to cut the door trim

First I started by removing the old trim. It was glued on, so there's a very sticky mess left behind.
IMG_6192.JPG
IMG_6195.JPG

Next, I used Goo Gone to remove the glue with a cloth rag. Don't use paper towels, they will stick to the glue.

IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6197.JPG

Once the glue was cleaned up I simply pushed on the new trim. I started and ended on the hinge side to keep the seam out of the way. Also, expecting that this trim will probably shrink a bit, I made every attempt to push on as much as possible. When I cut the end, I added at least 1/3" extra which worked itself out as I pushed it on.

The trim has a metal banding inside that helps hold it in place. Here's the hose cutter that I used to cut it with.

IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6204.JPG

Here are a few pics of the finished look.

IMG_6208.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:thumbsup:

I did this a few years ago, and highly recommended for anybody who hasn't done it yet.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would this be the same part number for a 2005 model boat?

I removed the gluey mess a loooooong time ago, but never replaced the trim.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would this be the same part number for a 2005 model boat?

I removed the gluey mess a loooooong time ago, but never replaced the trim.
@Detonate Yes, that's the same part I used and would be the same for your boat. I also enlarged the opening while I was at it. The newer boats look like they already have a larger opening, but on the older boats, there was room to make the cutout bigger. I made my opening just slightly smaller than the size of the door itself

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice job. I thought I was the only one with that problem..obviously not..lol​

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to do that. My trim has shrunk. Where did you get the trim? Cam.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to do that. My trim has shrunk. Where did you get the trim? Cam.
I ordered self gripping plastic edge trim with metal core 9/64"-1/4"opening 21/32" H, White 10' length, item # 8451A61... from McMaster-Carr It cost $11 plus shipping.

Reactions: Gym

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I dealt with the sticky goo last season by removing the original trim and all the glue and reglued the original piece. I kept getting the goo on my arms or on our stuff and I finally figured it out where it was coming from and took care of it.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used a little fast cure 3M marine on mine...worked like a champ! After I cleaned up the other gorilla glue...that stuff was nasty!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dennis does not mess around! He asked me for the part number on Sunday, get it on Tuesday and has the job finished by Wed! My trim has been in my garage since last August! Putting me to shame! (as I sit in a hotel room hundreds of miles from my house)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dennis does not mess around! He asked me for the part number on Sunday, get it on Tuesday and has the job finished by Wed! My trim has been in my garage since last August! Putting me to shame! (as I sit in a hotel room hundreds of miles from my house)
It would've taken me days just to research the part number. Thanks again for the help Julian.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is great ! thanks Dennis, Julian. I need to do this as well. Been taking a back seat to fighting with the seal around my engine hatch..

Caught my eye, the part number above isn't directly on the web page, but appears to be the same as 8451A13

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is great ! thanks Dennis, Julian. I need to do this as well. Been taking a back seat to fighting with the seal around my engine hatch..

Caught my eye, the part number above isn't directly on the web page, but appears to be the same as 8451A13
Honestly, I never looked at the catalogue. I just called them (on a Sunday even) and gave them the item number. It shipped on Monday, arrived Tuesday and installed on Wednesday. Apparently I live within a few miles of where McMaster-Carr is located.

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I like this. Saw it before on other site, but haven't done it yet... Just ordered this piece. The lady saw it and said, "Why haven't we done this. I'll even scrub the sticky stuff off if you get this!" I may hold her to that...

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's the ticket right there. I'll be doing this. Thanks @itsdgm

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
after taking the old trim and glue off last year I never got around to ordering the part to fix it. After seeing this thread and link for the part # I thought how could I pass up such and easy fix. It really was, ordered Friday, arrived today, had a few hours of daylight when I got home and took about 20 minutes to push it on. I wondered how secure the fit will be and it worked great. I also did the door frame on the helm compartment. I will have to trim a little bit of the carpet that had glue on it but otherwise GREAT!
THANKS GUYS!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
after taking the old trim and glue off last year I never got around to ordering the part to fix it. After seeing this thread and link for the part # I thought how could I pass up such and easy fix. It really was, ordered Friday, arrived today, had a few hours of daylight when I got home and took about 20 minutes to push it on. I wondered how secure the fit will be and it worked great. I also did the door frame on the helm compartment. I will have to trim a little bit of the carpet that had glue on it but otherwise GREAT!
THANKS GUYS!
I know. I was putting this one off just because it seemed impossible for me to research which exact trim to order. But @Julian set me up with the part number and supplier. The rest was a piece of cake.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks all ! I placed my order this morning.....oddly I never saw a shipping cost. blind faith ?

related: Has anyone replaced the seal around the engine compartment hatch ? That piece is driving me nuts !!

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Thanks all ! I placed my order this morning.....oddly I never saw a shipping cost. blind faith ?

related: Has anyone replaced the seal around the engine compartment hatch ? That piece is driving me nuts !!
Didn't see a shipping cost for mine either, and was a bit concerned. Got the confirmation receipt this morning, and shipping was about $6. And is out for delivery. Ordered Sunday afternoon... :)