• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Servicing your own engines.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm nearing my 10hr service. I'm very confident in mechanics and have no issue performing my own servicing. Reading back on other threads regarding keeping the warranty good, I know that I'm also allowed to carry out the procedure, as long as I keep all receipts for parts etc.
Being quoted nearly $800 is not funny or acceptable, especially by people who I have no faith in.

Now my question is the service procedure, oil, filters, plugs, inter bearing, but what about any other? I found this list, do you think it's complete or is there something missing? Have I got it right these modern engines do not need the heads torqued down etc?

image.png

This list above basically covers it. Make sure you lubricate the bearing housing. This is critical at the 10 hour mark. Buy a quality pump to get all or most of the oil out of each engine. Measure how much comes out and replace with the same amount. No need torque anything on the engines. Many other screws and bolts will work loose and need tightened but the engines are fine. Plan on taking your time as sucking oil out is not a fast process. Good luck!

$800? Bend over! I need to open a shop up next door and charge $500.

Ah, the all important bearing greasing. I read so many different opinions on how much to add, two to four pumps, but then different grease guns put different amounts per pump.
Until the grease oozes out, but then you pack the grease in too much. Which grease?
I have somebody I know who services Waverunners, I'm going to check with them and post my findings.

Real strange looking back and reading Mikeys description on extracting the oil, I've even purchased the oil pump he recommended, still providing help beyond the grave, God bless you Mikey.

I really wish someone made a video on how to do the bearing greasing procedure.. I'm at 89 hours and am looking at doing it myself.

I really wish someone made a video on how to do the bearing greasing procedure.. I'm at 89 hours and am looking at doing it myself.
I was hesitant to do mine at first too. I spoke to my dealer about what grease to use and was told any high temp grease will do. I specifically asked if I could use the same grease I use for the trailer bearings and he said yes. Give it 3 to 4 pumps with the grease gun very slowly and call it good. I'll do it as part of my spring prep for now on.

About the pump bearing, how do you know you added too much? Will it ooze from somewhere?

About the pump bearing, how do you know you added too much? Will it ooze from somewhere?

It depends on how the zerk fitting is set up. If it is attached to the pump indirectly via a small hose I've found that the zip tie holding the hose to the zerk fitting will sometimes give and the hose will detach allowing the grease in it to escape.

I've also had the little ball in the fitting fail to reseat allowing grease to be pushed back out of the fitting.

Everything I've read indicates that overfilling the bearing could cause the seals around it to fail, some have added in line pressure meters to aid them. I didn't go that far, I just do as my manual instructs and feel the hose every few months in season. If it is not stiff I add grease until it does, usually 5 to 10 pumps with a small grease gun does the job. Jetboat pilot may have a video covering this.

@Britboater love your signature pic! That is awesome.

@Britboater here is a video describing the process and showing the bearing housing and what to use. I hope it helps.

Lol I figured that question would come. No it's not me his name just happened to be the same as mine. I had seen the video before when I was trying to figure the lubing the bearing housing process just figured it may help some others.

Cheers @robert843 every bit of info helps, funny guy making a video, then can't perform the task, just can't wait to get pumping on my "nipple thing back there! ;):D"

I would add several items off the 100 hour to annual service, matter of fact, I lube my linkages on the pump anytime I see them dry. And they get dry without even using the boat! I actually lube them about every 5 to 10 hours of use and it is the lube that keeps water from infiltrating the steering cable linkage and the reverse gate linkage cable. Also, the remove and inspect clean out plugs is done on every trip in and out of the water, so wtf on that one! These boats are a snap to maintain, use common sense, and do more than it asks for...your going to want to anyway...ENJOY the process!

On the lube: I was hesitant and nervous doing mine at 10 hrs as well. And I have a decent mechanics background (have rebuilt carbs, done u-joints, repacked bearings, etc.). Still reading all of the cautions and not wanting to mess up my relatively new baby had me a bit on edge.

It was all for naught. I took the grease gun, just went slowly and pumped until I could feel some pressure. You will know it when you feel it. Usually the first service (10 hrs) highlights what was not done on manufacture (or, I have heard some at 1 yr highlighting what was not done at 10 hrs...). So it may take more. I think mine was like 7-8 pumps. But when it gets firm, that is time to stop, so you do not blow the seals. Every service after that you will put in 0.5-1 pumps, maybe 2. But don't worry like I did. Just go slowly and you will feel what you need to feel and save yourself a load of cash, probably doing better for your boat in the process.

Second what @txav8r said--take your time and have fun. That really was the point, right?

Second what @txav8r said--take your time and have fun. That really was the point, right?
Yes, it was! And to add lubing the pump pivot points and linkages to more frequent. If you boat in salt water, you are flushing after every outing too, and you are also going to want to be using fogging oil, not as a winterizer, but as an internal corrosion prohibitive. Even fresh water guys want to fog occasionally for that reason during storage.

An up-date regarding my 10 hour service. I've just had a conversation with a friend who was a Yamaha technician. "Why do you want to grease your intermediate bearing?" was his reply, "it's not touched with a 10 hour service"
Well low and behold, he's right...........
image.jpeg

Then went on about replacing the spark plugs, again, why? was his answer, there only checked at 10 hours, not replaced. If you have a miss fire or running rough, yes, buts that's very rare. Correct again.

image.jpeg

I questioned him further regarding the bearing, I can put a few pumps of grease if it makes me feel better. Just use a good quality marine grease. The biggest job and most important is the oil change, and he went on to say the 10 hr service is mainly checking over the boat, most people aren't mechanically savy, and it's the service guys job to make sure everything's in order. If your pretty switched on, and a hands on kinda guy your wasting your money.
Makes me even more shocked with the price my dealer was asking!

And just for clarification for everyone and nice to know.

image.jpg

Hmm, the 2008 was, as was the 2012. Here is the page from the 240 service manual...
240 Periodic Inspection and Adjustment Chart (Medium).JPG
And the page from the 230 service manual...
Periodic Inspection and Adjustment Chart.jpg

Regardless of who does the 10 hour service, take the opportunity to check on all bolts, screws, and fasteners since we read of these coming loose or being lost during the initial break in year/s.

Back