• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

So do the new 2016's still display the wrong voltages?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing I noticed yesterday is that you know when the dvsr has kicked in because the voltage on the connext screen will read over 13 volts. Not ideal to not have them read seperate but the dvsr closing the the circuit is a good indication that the start battery is nearly or fully charged.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think Yamaha should fix this. Class action suit anyone? This could leave you stranded on the water and endanger your life. We should all get new 242x series and have them fix the wiring. I have 4 attorneys in the family and they think so........

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 AR240 and the voltage is spot on, tested with a multi meter.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rsg1963 For both batteries? You would be the first. The display for both batteries only displays the house battery and not the starting battery. Run your stereo and electronics for a few hours and then test both batteries again and compare to the display.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rsg1963 , you wouldn't happen to be a lawyer who works for Yamaha would you? o_O
hahahaha, no.
And the way you can tell is because I still have a soul. LOL
But seriously, the voltages ranges from 12.6 through 13.9 which shows me charging is as effective as an automotive type. Maybe not ideal (14v+ would be ideal for conditioning, etc...) but certainly they are within industry standards.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
But you're saying you see different values on each display? And by different, more than +/- .1V, as I see that too. But when the house battery starts to drain, the indicator for the starting battery goes right down with it, at least on mine :). I verified with my DVM that the starting battery was not at the voltage being displayed.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, the voltages do vary slightly. But I have not seen the starting battery follow the house battery down. I will keep watching that. I did run on the house battery for a couple hours, then ran the boat for a while. During this time, the voltage indicated the house battery at 12.4v and slowly climbing and the starting battery at 13.3 and steady.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now with all the doubting, I have to go check it again. o_O
I highly doubt I have the only boat working properly, so I will pay extra attention to the details next time out.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@rsg1963 If you are the only one with a working charging system(Unicorn), we'll need many pictures off your wiring so we all can duplicate!!! lol

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea yea I wanna know what make YOU so special that Yamaha makes you a special boat that works properly!!!! Just kidding. Anywho you have to make sure you compare your screen readings with actual voltage measurements taken right from both batteries.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay so....ahem....I'd like to make a correction to my earlier statement...
Using my DVM on three seperate lake trips, there is a clear separation from the Conex display and reality. Oddly, there is a difference on the display by a small amount from House and starting banks. So I have to wonder, how's THAT happening? If both are following one or the other battery, then the voltages should simply be the same. Weird.
Now I simply need to figure out how to use the engines to charge the house batteries. New thread coming if I can't find one already. Thinking of using the other engine and a stator dedicated to the house batteries (I now have two 200ah monsters in parallel for the house)
At least it will put a little something back in while riding around, and the parts would be identical to the other engine (theoretically). Of course an alternator setup would be ideal but I'm fairly sure no one has come up with a slick kit like that...yet. Which is kind of surprising considering it could be used on many boats. I'd think that would sell well to boaters with heavy electrical loads.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@rsg1963 You could flip the connections on the dvsr and switches so it charges your house bank first. There is also another thread about how to make the dvsr engage only when the engines are running. Perhaps I missed it but 400 ahr house bank ... What the heck are you powering and how many concussed fish are left in your wake? Hopefully you have a shore charger and 110 vac outlet handy.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rsg1963 You could flip the connections on the dvsr and switches so it charges your house bank first. There is also another thread about how to make the dvsr engage only when the engines are running. Perhaps I missed it but 400 ahr house bank ... What the heck are you powering and how many concussed fish are left in your wake? Hopefully you have a shore charger and 110 vac outlet handy.
Great reply Mainah, thanks. I'll look for that thread on flipping the charge order. And with the draw of the two amps for the 7 speakers, it does not take more than 5-6 hours to bring them both to 50-55%. I do use a shore charger every evening when camping and when I get home of course. Love the concussed fish reference~!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There must be 2 threads on this topic...I'll swear I replied to one of them. Short story (pardon the pun) while I was hunting for the starting battery short on my boat....I had the starter battery completely disconnected...and it still showed voltage on the Connext screen! So for my boat at least....this is not fixed....Connext shows the house voltage only.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There must be 2 threads on this topic...I'll swear I replied to one of them. Short story (pardon the pun) while I was hunting for the starting battery short on my boat....I had the starter battery completely disconnected...and it still showed voltage on the Connext screen! So for my boat at least....this is not fixed....Connext shows the house voltage only.
Thanks for sharing this @Julian. @swatski will probably redesign and fix the problem on his new 2016 AR240, and then I'm sure that he'll share the fix with us.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose I already thought about this. But, I think I'm going to go with @Mainah idea of monitoring the charging status, that's a neat trick!
It will also fit my $0 mod budget quite nicely (for now) ;).
One thing I noticed yesterday is that you know when the dvsr has kicked in because the voltage on the connext screen will read over 13 volts. Not ideal to not have them read seperate but the dvsr closing the the circuit is a good indication that the start battery is nearly or fully charged.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length