• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo Comm Error

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes @Julian. I did disconnect the remote lead at the head unit initially and it had no effect. I agree that this is strange. If you download the Polk manual it appears that the lead from the head unit enters a Y splice and branches off to two locations. One goes to the rear remote, the other to an "OEM controller"...or something like that. Perhaps this OEM device is needed for the radio to function and by disconnecting the lead from the head unit you interrupt the connection to the remote and this other controller. Dont know for sure...but it works now.

Download Polk Ultra Marine app for android or iOS at the app store.
The Y you reference is connected to the stern remote on one connection and the OEM connection is the Connext screen, so you can't just unplug the entire Y or you disconnect the Connext screen too. Glad you figured it out.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. More particularly, I believe (though I don't have Connext) that unplugging that will sever the bus connection between the radio and the Connext, so it would then make sense that you would get a comm error. So, when you disconnected the Y you probably solved one problem (the remote) but created another (broken bus).

Good work. Difficult problem.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Working under the assumption the the entire Y was unplugged earlier on when trouble shooting and disconneting the radio canbus wire at the remote fixed it then ...
There was a bad signal coming from the remote. I remember a different thread where someone had noticed moisture damage behind the knob on the remote.

@rkgdmd - If you pull off the knob of your swim deck remote what does it look like behind the knob. Any evidence of corrosion? Also I would attempt to get Polk to send you a new swim deck remote.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok...Just wanted to give everybody an update on my Stereo Comm Error/Audio unit Off issue. Turns out the swim deck remote, or "Commander" as Polk calls it was the issue. I removed the port side speaker and was able to disconnect the cable that runs between the head unit and Commander remote. The stereo is now fully functional...no more errors. I am not sure if I'm even going to replace the remote. Never use it that much anyway since we control the stereo from my phone anyway. Hope this helps someone from pulling their hair out when troubleshooting a stereo issue. Happy Holidays!
So I'm in the process of trying to do this and I cannot find where the Y splits so I can disconnect the stern remote. I don't want that on. So if I remove the back speaker on the port side, I should be able to see the cables to disconnect. I'm trying to trace it but the main lead from the connext is snugged on the side and I'm not sure where runs to. The Y cable should be close to the battery bays I'm guessing?

Thanks

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My radio has been acting weird lately also. Out of nowhere it turns off and I have to shut everything off and back on to get it to come back on. Sounds like I may be having a similar problem.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya mine has done that a few times. And I think it happens when water intrudes into it. I just want it as I don't use it at all.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I'm in the process of trying to do this and I cannot find where the Y splits so I can disconnect the stern remote. I don't want that on. So if I remove the back speaker on the port side, I should be able to see the cables to disconnect. I'm trying to trace it but the main lead from the connext is snugged on the side and I'm not sure where runs to. The Y cable should be close to the battery bays I'm guessing?

Thanks
Did you ever locate where that Y connector is?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Factory stereo issues are the best - it gives you permission to rip everything out upgrade!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you ever locate where that Y connector is?
Yes sir. On the back transom, if you take the cup holder out on the port side, you can reach in there and disconnect it. I accessed it thru the bottom cup holder, but it's pretty much in the middle of both cup holders so either one should work.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes sir. On the back transom, if you take the cup holder out on the port side, you can reach in there and disconnect it. I accessed it thru the bottom cup holder, but it's pretty much in the middle of both cup holders so either one should work.
that's strange they put it back there, so they ran 2 cords coming off the y connector to the head unit?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that's strange they put it back there, so they ran 2 cords coming off the y connector to the head unit?
Well they had to do that I think. The wire from the remote is about a foot or so long. I believe there is a 10' extension wire that runs from the helm to the remote wire plug. This is why I think it took so long for any of us to find it. But I love it now. Never have to mess with that damn thing again. All music is in the power of my wrist now. lo.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well they had to do that I think. The wire from the remote is about a foot or so long. I believe there is a 10' extension wire that runs from the helm to the remote wire plug. This is why I think it took so long for any of us to find it. But I love it now. Never have to mess with that damn thing again. All music is in the power of my wrist now. lo.
Prefect

Thanks

Cody Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 limited with this issue. At first we could shut the batteries off and restart it but today it stopped for good with the stereo comm error. I disconnected the remote wiring on the back of the boat but the issue still exists. I disconected it on the back of the radio also. My tachs are working and everything else on the connext system functions normally. Nearest dealer is three hours away so I’d like to put the repair off until the off season. Are there any other work around to get the stereo working? I’m not concerned with the rear remote, never use it and the Polk audio app won’t connect to the radio now with this issue.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 limited with this issue. At first we could shut the batteries off and restart it but today it stopped for good with the stereo comm error. I disconnected the remote wiring on the back of the boat but the issue still exists. I disconected it on the back of the radio also. My tachs are working and everything else on the connext system functions normally. Nearest dealer is three hours away so I’d like to put the repair off until the off season. Are there any other work around to get the stereo working? I’m not concerned with the rear remote, never use it and the Polk audio app won’t connect to the radio now with this issue.
Sorry for the late response. Ok you will have to disconnect it at the back transom. That's where the main lead is at. Behind the helm connection will give you that error. You can access the connection point from either one of the cup holders on the port side transom. The lead is right inbetween the two cup holders. Just have to stick your hands up and feel for it.

Cody Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry for the late response. Ok you will have to disconnect it at the back transom. That's where the main lead is at. Behind the helm connection will give you that error. You can access the connection point from either one of the cup holders on the port side transom. The lead is right inbetween the two cup holders. Just have to stick your hands up and feel for it.
Thanks! I unplugged it from the rear controller through the cup holder. Same issue exists. Nearest dealer is two hours away and can’t look at it for two weeks. Is there a way to hard reset the system or trick it into thinking this problem doesn’t exist?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I unplugged it from the rear controller through the cup holder. Same issue exists. Nearest dealer is two hours away and can’t look at it for two weeks. Is there a way to hard reset the system or trick it into thinking this problem doesn’t exist?
Did you make sure you plugged it back in behind the helm? Only back transom should be unplugged.

Cody Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you make sure you plugged it back in behind the helm? Only back transom should be unplugged.
Nope. It’s unplugged on both ends now. I’ll try it this weekend. Thanks again!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok try plugging the input behind the helm and let us know if that works. Sometimes posting pictures help analyze things lil closer.

Cody Johnson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok try plugging the input behind the helm and let us know if that works. Sometimes posting pictures help analyze things lil closer.
Plugging the helm back in didn’t help but for some reason today it hooked itself to our phone and started playing. I still have the error and the boat still beeps every five minutes or so but we can control it through the Polk app..... for now

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm. So now I'm not really understanding what error you're getting and when you are getting the error. Can you take a photo of it please? Could be an error related to engines? Really could be anything with these boats.