• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing behind a jet ski?!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This just popped up on my FB feed, wondering if it would work on a jet boat. I gotta say that’s an impressive wave for a jet ski!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
not sold yet. Needless to say the second person to surf is too pretty and distracting for me to pay attention to the wake.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
not sold yet. Needless to say the second person to surf is too pretty and distracting for me to pay attention to the wake.
I wonder about throttle control on a jet ski - that's gotta be a PITA to keep it consistent.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder about throttle control on a jet ski - that's gotta be a PITA to keep it consistent.
The high end skis have speed control....not sure how well it holds a speed....especially at 10mph, but I'm sure someone on here has one.....

That wave looks pretty tiny....sure a 70lb teenager with some skill can surf it, but that would be about it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The high end skis have speed control....not sure how well it holds a speed....especially at 10mph, but I'm sure someone on here has one.....

That wave looks pretty tiny....sure a 70lb teenager with some skill can surf it, but that would be about it.
I contacted the company to see if they've tested these on jet boats at all.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks decent. Although what I saw was just another Jet Ski Driver not looking forward and running into or over someone. They are already pretty unconscious drivers around here on the lakes.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks decent. Although what I saw was just another Jet Ski Driver not looking forward and running into or over someone. They are already pretty unconscious drivers around here on the lakes.
I noticed that too! Driver barely looked forward at all!

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking for the disclaimers...
“Stunt driver on closed course” “Do not attempt this at home”
😎

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@anmut I have read that wake shapers don't work with jet boats, why would it be any different with a PWC?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@anmut I have read that wake shapers don't work with jet boats, why would it be any different with a PWC?
I think they don't work because we don't have enough boat below the water to attach them to. Looks like that's not the case with a jetski?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I contacted the company to see if they've tested these on jet boats at all.
If they respond to you, tell them if they're going to put a video out of what it looks like off the back of the ski, landscape mode will net them far more sales than that crap vertical video.

Agreed. On second thought @anmut don't tell them anything about what I just said.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I think they don't work because we don't have enough boat below the water to attach them to. Looks like that's not the case with a jetski?
That said, for the boat should we go all ballast or a combination of ballast and wake shaper?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have just as much fun if not more surfing with a long rope no ballast carving around compared to going rope less in that small pocket. Boards with longer skegs work better when crossing the wake it doesn't get loose . I think this enjoyment is due to years of wakeboarding and snow boarding and really knowing how to carve and use the edge of a board and go from the outside of the wake on each side of the boat. Rope less you have a 3 to 4 foot area to ride in with the rope about 30 to 40 feet wide

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just bought a 2021 FX waverunner, the speed control is excellent. Just hit the set button at the desired speed and hold the throttle lever all the way down (wot) to maintain the speed. to increase or decrease in small increments just use the up or down buttons (similar to Yamaha jet boats), to disengage just release / ease up on the throttle lever.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Bumping this two-year old thread! Looks like these are in production, and the concept is different than a regular shaper. Apparently the "wings" force the boat 4 degrees to the side, displacing more water. In their FAQ they stated they're looking for testers for jet boats, so I reached out to them.

Interesting concept - I'd love to be able to get a better wave with less setup.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
still not believing it,

this is from their FAQ

Will this work on jetboats?
Yes, although SURFMODE systems are not designed for this application. Jet boats pose two problems generally speaking - they are lighter than v-drive or inboard boats; and more importantly dual jet boats tend to eject water into at least one of the surf waves. Lateral Displacement technology addresses the weight concern, however, the water jet to the wave is something we are currently working to solve. We are in active R&D for this market, and are always looking for test groups. Reach out to us, and tell us about your boat, and you can contribute to the solution!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bumping this two-year old thread! Looks like these are in production, and the concept is different than a regular shaper. Apparently the "wings" force the boat 4 degrees to the side, displacing more water. In their FAQ they stated they're looking for testers for jet boats, so I reached out to them.

Interesting concept - I'd love to be able to get a better wave with less setup.

still not believing it,

this is from their FAQ

Will this work on jetboats?
Yes, although SURFMODE systems are not designed for this application. Jet boats pose two problems generally speaking - they are lighter than v-drive or inboard boats; and more importantly dual jet boats tend to eject water into at least one of the surf waves. Lateral Displacement technology addresses the weight concern, however, the water jet to the wave is something we are currently working to solve. We are in active R&D for this market, and are always looking for test groups. Reach out to us, and tell us about your boat, and you can contribute to the solution!
This is just the same old delayed convergence principle. We have friends that surfed with nothing behind their waverunner a long time ag. It was a big, plastic buoyant board.