• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The 2015 24x issues thread...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK so that water should NOT be getting to the stern drain, right?
It depends on if your anchor locker is sealed well. In some boats there are cracks or gaps in the gelcoat inside the anchor locker, so water that was pushed into the locker through the drain WOULD leak into the boat.

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
If the boat is slightly nose down on your lift or trailer, the gutter around the ski locker overflows instead of draining out the scupper. This then drains to the bilge through the ski locker drain.
Ok all good information. My water is coming out the stern drain. The bilge has come on in the past, but only a couple of times for less than a gallon. My guess (hope) is that this is coming from either the over wash on the stern and/or the anchor locker.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ski locker drains to the (bilge) stern drain so if you were nose down...

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
The ski locker drains to the (bilge) stern drain so if you were nose down...
Yes, but the bilge is a good bit higher in the hull than the stern drain. You can gather a lot of water down there before the bilge can get to it, and as you said, if the boat is sitting in the water, it will gather midship.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stern drain is in the bottom of the bilge.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So if the water builds mid-ship, should you bale it? Will it start to mold if left for weeks?

I gave the same problem with my 192 AND I am debating moving to the 242 E series next year....

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
So if the water builds mid-ship, should you bale it? Will it start to mold if left for weeks?

I gave the same problem with my 192 AND I am debating moving to the 242 E series next year....
I am saying that the water must be mid-ship, but down deep in the hull. It gushes out when I pull the drain plug on the ramp, at a pretty steep angle.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, this may be a stupid question but.....there are 4 drain plugs on my 242 SE....the ski locker, fuel compartment, engine compartment, and of course the exterior hull drain plug. Obviously except for the hull drain, is there a reason to leave any of these open in the water?

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, this may be a stupid question but.....there are 4 drain plugs on my 242 SE....the ski locker, fuel compartment, engine compartment, and of course the exterior hull drain plug. Obviously except for the hull drain, is there a reason to leave any of these open in the water?
Great question. Should they all be closed?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Closed when the boat is in the water open when it is on the trailer is what I've always read/been told.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@bobs4state
Not sure about the new 242s but mine takes in a lot of water through the anchor locker drain hole when plowing though the water at no wake speeds, this happens often when there is any weight including my own in the bow. It's easy to verify on the water and the fix is an appropriately sized bottle cork. Hopefully Yamaha addressed this in the later years of the 242/240.

Another area prone to water intrusion is the clean out port tray/compartment, that is water enters the compartment through the sides of the hatch while underway, usually when coming to abrupt stops or as people reboard from the water and gets into the bilge as it makes its way past the tray and bottom of the compartment. Resealing the tray may help a little bit the access port though it is not water tight either.
Mine also takes on water through the anchor locker drain hole, especially if you have a lot of passengers on board and at slow/no-wake speeds. I rarely use the Danforth anchor located in this locker, so I installed a small rubber plug in the hole from inside the anchor locker compartment. If I use the Danforth, which is rare, I can remove the plug temporarily to allow draining of the compartment. Otherwise, I keep the plug in. It has solved the problem in my case.