• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The 2015 24x issues thread...

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@David Decker to address #2 for you. what i did is go underneath the helm and put some tape over the annoying noisemaker. You can put as much or as little tape over it to make it to your liking.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great observations @David Decker. I saw the mounding you installed in the other thread and it turned out awesome. Makes it look wwwaaaayyyy nicer.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In grand scheme those aren't too bad of complaints with the exception of the raw fiberglass edges. You would think that if you're dropping $65k on a boat you wouldn't have to worry about something like that. Also, the stereo complaint is kind of a bummer. I don't like the idea of the stereo being integrated in to the main control system. Same way on my F150. The Sony "700 watt" stereo is a joke. Very hard to upgrade also because it's all integrated in the my ford touch similar to the connext system. Have you noticed any spider cracks? I've read a lot of complaints about spider cracks in the gel coat with Yamaha. I'm in the decision making step of buying a boat, and that would be a real turn off.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@MattFX4 - I haven't noticed any spider cracks yet, but I'll be on the lookout for them since a lot of owners have been finding them.
Overall, I love the boat, and many of the items on my list can be fixed easily. I'm very happy so far.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@David Decker I took care of the bow cleat with a recessed model. Also covered all the bolt ends in the helm compartment before some catches an arm reaching in for something.

Attachments

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would replace that entire steep system. Even though they are Polk speakers, they are polks entry level speakers. And some real power behind them. Nothing flashy, but actual rated power so you can hear the music at cruise.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In grand scheme those aren't too bad of complaints with the exception of the raw fiberglass edges. You would think that if you're dropping $65k on a boat you wouldn't have to worry about something like that.
I have to agree that this kind of thing is not acceptable on a 60K+ boat. Easier to overlook on my SX210, for which I paid less than $30K, but I'd expect more at $55 - $70K. The Cobalt 220 I just checked out at the boat show, which was being advertised at 65K, was excellently finish throughout - no exposed screws, no rough fiberglass, gorgeous gelcoat (with no decal graphics), a hull that felt rock solid when knocked on or pushed agains, etc. Heck, for that matter so did the Chaparral Vortex jets. The Bryant Speranza I saw had truly beautiful finish work throughout and was $55K. If Yamaha is going to play in the price range of these boats, they do need to up their game in the fit/finish department.

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I purchased my boat about 6 weeks ago. We love it! However, the stern drain is draining a LOT of water when we leave the lake. And I noticed puddling water in the ski locker. That drain plug is not screwed in, and I can see water below it. My bilge comes on, but rarely. I would really like to know where this water is coming from. If anything, it is costing me gas mileage.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I purchased my boat about 6 weeks ago. We love it! However, the stern drain is draining a LOT of water when we leave the lake. And I noticed puddling water in the ski locker. That drain plug is not screwed in, and I can see water below it. My bilge comes on, but rarely. I would really like to know where this water is coming from. If anything, it is costing me gas mileage.
@bobs4state - I would try closing all the internal drain plugs and keeping an eye on them during your next outing. Then see if that effects your stern keel drain output at the end of the day.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure about the new 242s but mine takes in a lot of water through the anchor locker drain hole when plowing though the water at no wake speeds, this happens often when there is any weight including my own in the bow. It's easy to verify on the water and the fix is an appropriately sized bottle cork. Hopefully Yamaha addressed this in the later years of the 242/240.

Another area prone to water intrusion is the clean out port tray/compartment, that is water enters the compartment through the sides of the hatch while underway, usually when coming to abrupt stops or as people reboard from the water and gets into the bilge as it makes its way past the tray and bottom of the compartment. Resealing the tray may help a little bit the access port though it is not water tight either.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We've struggled with this since buying the new boat, some trips we unscrew the drain plug and its dry as can be, other trips it drains a few gallons of water...but never enough to activate the bilge so I just decided to enjoy the boat and let go.

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Great advice. I will check both areas. I had no idea there was a drain plug in the anchor locker. But how would water get in there? I have yet to take in water over the bow.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's not a drain plug in the anchor locker but a drain hole. It's always open. You can see it on the starboard side of the bow on the outside.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm amazed at how much water comes over the stern of my boat.....I love that the stern is MUCH lower than my SX230....but what this means is that those waves will be getting into the boat. Today I was sitting on the stern when a wake boat passed quite a ways off and the waves not only came up on the lower swim step, but also onto the cushions of the next step! I've not checked to see if the cup holders have hoses attached to the drain holes, and if they do, where they drain to.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm amazed at how much water comes over the stern of my boat.....I love that the stern is MUCH lower than my SX230....but what this means is that those waves will be getting into the boat. Today I was sitting on the stern when a wake boat passed quite a ways off and the waves not only came up on the lower swim step, but also onto the cushions of the next step! I've not checked to see if the cup holders have hoses attached to the drain holes, and if they do, where they drain to.
They drain to the little white valves just under the cupholders. You can see them in your sig pic.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The upper holders drain in to the bilge.

bobs4state

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
It's not a drain plug in the anchor locker but a drain hole. It's always open. You can see it on the starboard side of the bow on the outside.
OK so that water should NOT be getting to the stern drain, right?

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure about the new 242s but mine takes in a lot of water through the anchor locker drain hole when plowing though the water at no wake speeds, this happens often when there is any weight including my own in the bow. It's easy to verify on the water and the fix is an appropriately sized bottle cork. Hopefully Yamaha addressed this in the later years of the 242/240.

Another area prone to water intrusion is the clean out port tray/compartment, that is water enters the compartment through the sides of the hatch while underway, usually when coming to abrupt stops or as people reboard from the water and gets into the bilge as it makes its way past the tray and bottom of the compartment. Resealing the tray may help a little bit the access port though it is not water tight either.
not addressed on my 2016 242. I noticed it last week. I adjusted my lift so the boat is slightly tipped up (had settled after putting it in), and a few gallons came out yesterday when I pulled the stern plug. We have had almost no rain in Ontario this summer, so my thinking is that it is from the anchor drain.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the boat is slightly nose down on your lift or trailer, the gutter around the ski locker overflows instead of draining out the scupper. This then drains to the bilge through the ski locker drain.