• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
3rd dose of Pfizer on Friday of last week. Fine for first 6 hours, then arm pain, then whole body aches x 10 hours, then GI upset x 2 hours, then complete resolution of all symptoms by hour 18. Had zero side effects from first 2 doses.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This is an interesting article, published by Gallup, discussing how the American public has a poor understanding of the true risks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and that misperceptions vary by political party.

At the end of the article it notes:

"Appendix: The Actual Risk and Implied Efficacy

The correct answers to hospitalization risk can be calculated using data from the Department of Health and Human Services (via HealthData.gov) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). One needs only the following figures: 1) the population of vaccinated and unvaccinated people 2) total hospitalizations resulting from COVID-19 3) hospitalizations of vaccinated people. We used data through August 9, 2021, one week before the survey was fielded. At that time, total hospitalizations from COVID-19 were estimated to be 2.6 million, with 7,608 vaccinations found among vaccinated people. The size of the vaccinated and unvaccinated populations was nearly equal on August 9 (with 168 million vaccinated and 163 million unvaccinated).

A simplistic analysis of these numbers would yield hospitalization rates of 0.005% for the vaccinated population (1 case in 22,118) and 1.6% for the unvaccinated population (1 case in 62), but those numbers exaggerate the benefits of the vaccine because the unvaccinated population confronted many more days of risk, since vaccination was gradually rolled out starting in December of 2020. For that reason, we take the average population totals over the relevant periods for each population (March 1, 2020-Aug. 9, 2021 for the unvaccinated population and Dec. 15, 2020,-Aug. 9, 2021, for the vaccinated population). The adjusted population of vaccinated people comes to 83 million and 295 million for the vaccinated population, since the entire U.S. population was unvaccinated -- except a small number of participants in clinical trials --up until December of 2020.

Using these adjusted figures, we calculate that the hospitalization rate for the vaccinated population is 0.01% (or 1 in 10,914), and the rate for unvaccinated adults is 0.89% (or 1 case in 112 people). In both cases, therefore, the correct answer is less than one percent, but the implied efficacy rate of vaccination is 99% at preventing hospitalizations. This is calculated as the hospitalization rate for the unvaccinated minus the hospitalization rate for the vaccinated, divided by the unvaccinated rate. In other words, it is the percentage decrease in hospitalization risk. This high rate of protection -- even against Delta -- is consistent with a recent article published in the Lancet, which reviewed large-scale empirical data from the United States and around the world."

Jim

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is a hard buy for me. Not doubting his sickness, but that COVID caused heart failure and other organ failure. It also fails to mention vaccine status, which inflammation of the heart is a potential side effect.
Covid can cause heart issues for sure. The article said that other other organ failures were due to cardiac insufficiency (which makes sense - and is why they put him on bypass)

Lurch

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
This is an interesting article, published by Gallup, discussing how the American public has a poor understanding of the true risks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and that misperceptions vary by political party.

At the end of the article it notes:

"Appendix: The Actual Risk and Implied Efficacy

The correct answers to hospitalization risk can be calculated using data from the Department of Health and Human Services (via HealthData.gov) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). One needs only the following figures: 1) the population of vaccinated and unvaccinated people 2) total hospitalizations resulting from COVID-19 3) hospitalizations of vaccinated people. We used data through August 9, 2021, one week before the survey was fielded. At that time, total hospitalizations from COVID-19 were estimated to be 2.6 million, with 7,608 vaccinations found among vaccinated people. The size of the vaccinated and unvaccinated populations was nearly equal on August 9 (with 168 million vaccinated and 163 million unvaccinated).

A simplistic analysis of these numbers would yield hospitalization rates of 0.005% for the vaccinated population (1 case in 22,118) and 1.6% for the unvaccinated population (1 case in 62), but those numbers exaggerate the benefits of the vaccine because the unvaccinated population confronted many more days of risk, since vaccination was gradually rolled out starting in December of 2020. For that reason, we take the average population totals over the relevant periods for each population (March 1, 2020-Aug. 9, 2021 for the unvaccinated population and Dec. 15, 2020,-Aug. 9, 2021, for the vaccinated population). The adjusted population of vaccinated people comes to 83 million and 295 million for the vaccinated population, since the entire U.S. population was unvaccinated -- except a small number of participants in clinical trials --up until December of 2020.

Using these adjusted figures, we calculate that the hospitalization rate for the vaccinated population is 0.01% (or 1 in 10,914), and the rate for unvaccinated adults is 0.89% (or 1 case in 112 people). In both cases, therefore, the correct answer is less than one percent, but the implied efficacy rate of vaccination is 99% at preventing hospitalizations. This is calculated as the hospitalization rate for the unvaccinated minus the hospitalization rate for the vaccinated, divided by the unvaccinated rate. In other words, it is the percentage decrease in hospitalization risk. This high rate of protection -- even against Delta -- is consistent with a recent article published in the Lancet, which reviewed large-scale empirical data from the United States and around the world."

Jim
The American public has a poor understanding of the risks, because they're being fed a steady stream of unadulterated bullshit from the Federal govt as a whole. Amazing the people don't take COVID/vaccine info at face value...well, some of them.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The American public has a poor understanding of the risks, because they're being fed a steady stream of unadulterated bullshit from the Federal govt as a whole. Amazing the people don't take COVID/vaccine info at face value...well, some of them.
Huh....other than the "Mask lie" to protect N95 supplies, and the early testing fubar, I'm not aware of any "unadulterated bullshit" regarding Covid. At the start of this, nothing was known about the disease, and over time our knowledge has grown, and its grown through trial and error - perhaps that is what you refer to?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Respectfully, I disagree. I think it has more to do with where we get our information from. Republicans tend to get their news and information from more right leaning sources like Fox and like minded on-line sources, while Democrats tend to get their news and information from a completely different set of TV and on-line sources.

Jim

Lurch

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Respectfully, I disagree. I think it has more to do with where we get our information from. Republicans tend to get their news and information from more right leaning sources like Fox and like minded on-line sources, while Democrats tend to get their news and information from a completely different set of TV and on-line sources.

Jim
To paraphrase, many on both sides get information from like-minded sources. I agree. You didn't refute part of my post, that the lies from the Feds breed mistrust. I don't need to go to Fox News nor CNN to explain to me what I just saw/heard from the horse's mouth.

Lurch

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Huh....other than the "Mask lie" to protect N95 supplies, and the early testing fubar, I'm not aware of any "unadulterated bullshit" regarding Covid. At the start of this, nothing was known about the disease, and over time our knowledge has grown, and its grown through trial and error - perhaps that is what you refer to?
I wasn't referring to "just COVID", Julian. I'm not sure where you got that.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To paraphrase, many on both sides get information from like-minded sources. I agree. You didn't refute part of my post, that the lies from the Feds breed mistrust. I don't need to go to Fox News nor CNN to explain to me what I just saw/heard from the horse's mouth.
I didn't address "unadulterated bullshit from the Federal govt" as I honestly don't know what you are specifically talking about. Is this the politicians (Presidents Trump/Biden, Congress) the federal agencies (FDA, CDC, NIH, others) or someone else?

Jim

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jim
So much for the no politics rule huh. Oh wait that depends on who is saying what.... I forgot carry on.

Lurch

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
@Jim_in_Delaware You can do your own research on the border, Afghanistan, inflation and spending to pick at my assertion. Since I mentioned the FedGov - it's safe to infer I was pointing at those you listed. I'm not sliding the thread.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So much for the no politics rule huh. Oh wait that depends on who is saying what.... I forgot carry on.
Seriously, you think its a political statement so say that many Republicans get their news from right leaning news sources and many Democrats get their news from left leaning news sources?

Jim

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@adrianp89 do you really have such little understanding of CoVID-19 that you were unaware that organ and heart failure occur in severe infections?

Status
Not open for further replies.