• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trips to Bangkok to locate Boat Parts in the back streets ( New update sorry for the delay)

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remember back in the 70's and early 80's Chicago suburb used to come around with trucks and blasted white fog/smoke all over. I think they stopped due to the public health risk! Sure hope that stuff isn't too harmful.
Well i don't think so as the guy that was doing the job wasn't even wearing a mask or any type of protection, I just got out of there for about 10 minutes until the Fog had cleared.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I remember the old days when they fogged. It sure worked. I know there is still spraying and local pest control places do it as well. I am not sure what they use but it isn't supposed to be harmful to humans.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Due to unforeseen circumstances ie the tragic event that took place in Bangkok resulting in the lose of so many innocent lives i delayed going there on the advice of the Government officials, I'm happy to say the culprits apart from 1 who managed to leave the country have been apprehended and if found guilty will be dealt with accordingly ( Usually by a machine gun ) My thoughts go out to the families of the Men Women and Children who so tragically lost there lives in this savage act of terrorism.

Ok well i decided to take a quick trip to Bangkok as thing's had quietened down there and i hadn't updated this post for a while, I had a friend come to stay from Switzerland and had spent much time in the Boat around the Islands also so i had been busy, I got the early 6.20 am Minibus from my Village and headed to Bangkok, I managed to get a few Photos to share with you so here they are i hope you enjoy them.

IMG_3399.JPG
As you can see by the different articles on the Dashboard the Buddhist religion is everywhere, The flowers hanging up are a symbol of good luck to travelers the same as the St Christopher in the western world.

IMG_3400.JPG On the Motorway heading for Bangkok, The public transport system here is the best i have ever seen it's second to none, You can go anywhere in the Country day or night at the drop of a hat by Minibus / Overnight Bus / Plane or train for very little money it's amazing.

IMG_3117.JPG This is one of the overnight Buses that travel around the country they take about 25 passengers and have beds you can sleep on them and wake up at your destination in the morning, Toilet facilities are on-board and snacks and drinks are provided as part of the service, A 500 mile trip costs around $20 and they're always nice a clean and well taken care of the 3 man crew even wash the bus and make sure it's presentable.

IMG_3401.JPG This is a mobile Bank in Bangkok, They just move around and stop in any Road and do there business it comes with a mobile ATM also.

IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3403.JPG This is a small service center in Bangkok you can take any household electrical item in there for repair and they do it while you wait for pennies, Regarding spares there is never a shortage as this place is surrounded by thousands of small businesses selling all sorts of electrical spares.

IMG_3404.JPG This Guy is re-coning Bass speakers and fitting new voice coils in another small back street shop.

IMG_3405.JPG
Another small shop on the side of the road, He's fixing ship to shore and two way radios again while you wait.

IMG_3406.JPG
Icom and Motorola ship to shore and Two way radios for sale in Bangkok, Only difference is these 2 are fake copies, They sell for around $35 to $40 the larger full size mobile versions are also available.

IMG_3409.JPG IMG_3410.JPG
This is a small shop selling all sizes of oil seals O rings grommets etc handy for the Bump stops on our Boats after the Sun and time has taken the flexibility away and they need changing on the rear hatches and under the Engine compartment cover etc.

IMG_3413.JPG As you can see these are Brake shoes these ones are actually from a Motorcycle but all our cars and boat trailers have them in different sizes, If you look around the outside you can see a thin fiber part that wears as our brakes are used this is the part that stops us and this small shop replaces that part.

IMG_3412.JPG
You can see how it's done here, The old brake fiber pads are removed and everything is cleaned and new pads are fitted and shaped to size, A bonding agent is applied and then the brake shoes are put into this clamp where as you can see a steel band surrounds the shoes and tension is applied through the long screw in the middle to make sure a good bond is made between the metal and the new Fiber pad, In this heat it doesn't take long for the job to be completed, So that's how new linings are fitted to our Vehicle brakes, I bet you had never seen that one before.

IMG_3414.JPG This shop sells all the different size Jockey wheels for everything from a pallet truck to our Boat trailer Jockey wheels.

IMG_3416.JPG IMG_3415.JPG This place is casting Gas cooker Burners in the back of the shop and there finished and drilled and jetted in the front of the shop
ready to sell, You can see the finished item at the bottom of the Photo, They do all sizes right up to that massive silver one you can see tied up on the left side of the Photo.

IMG_3417.JPG
This is a Photo of the Bus station at Victory Monument in the Center of Bangkok it's connected to the Skytrain so you can go all over Bangkok for pennies, The Minibuses are just none stop coming and going all day and night to all destinations around Thailand, I travel approx 180 miles to visit Bangkok and to bring you this post, They all have Air-con and to travel that distance cost me $6.

IMG_3385.JPG
Oh there was another reason why i was late bringing you this post I'm sure you understand, Do you like the stainless Cup holders can't buy them here so i made some but that's for another time, Hope you enjoyed the post all i brought in Bangkok was a pair of scissors didn't really need anything but i love to go and have a look around the back streets you never know what you can find, Take care i hope you enjoyed the post and i should get back on track now she's gone back to Switzerland.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once again, Great pics @Geoff Cooper. Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah, nice cup holders too ;)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Somehow I missed the news of the tragedy in Bangkok. I am glad that you are continuing to enjoy life!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Somehow I missed the news of the tragedy in Bangkok. I am glad that you are continuing to enjoy life!
Yes some terrorist group planted 2 Bombs apparently, I went off killing 16 men women and children and injuring many more the other failed to go off, They were planted next to a Hindu shrine in a tourist area, They have apparently caught the perpetrators apart from 1 i believe who fled before the tragic event took place, They were found with all the ingredients to manufacture in there possession on there premises.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wasn't aware of the terrorist bombing either. I'm glad they caught the persons responsible and I have no doubt that they will get their punishment.

@Geoff Cooper I truly enjoy reading about all your adventures and your lifestyle that you share with us. It seems that an American retired with a very modest retirement income could live quite comfortable in your neck of the woods. Being able to travel around the country so comfortably and cheaply is really amazing. I wish we had shops full of honest craftsman here in the states like you do.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wasn't aware of the terrorist bombing either. I'm glad they caught the persons responsible and I have no doubt that they will get their punishment.

@Geoff Cooper I truly enjoy reading about all your adventures and your lifestyle that you share with us. It seems that an American retired with a very modest retirement income could live quite comfortable in your neck of the woods. Being able to travel around the country so comfortably and cheaply is really amazing. I wish we had shops full of honest craftsman here in the states like you do.
I take on board your comments but you have to remember this is like England 50 years ago when we repaired thing's and not just paid for new ones because we didn't have the money to buy new ones, It seems like we have lost all the old skills we were taught back then, I still repair rather than replace mainly not for financial reasons but because new items are not available here in Thailand, It keeps your mind alert and you have to learn to adapt and overcome these problems just like we did years ago, I'm sure you probably do have these skills in the States and I'm sure they still exist in remote parts of America where new parts aren't always easy to obtain, I can vividly remember all the old guys who taught me my skills and now living in Thailand i can appreciate what they did for me as i put them to use all the time not just on the Boat, Remember an ounce of thought to a pound of thrust, Think of ways to get around a problem don't just steam in with the first thought that comes into you head, Thanks for taking the time to read my posts i do appreciate it, Good Luck!!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I take on board your comments but you have to remember this is like England 50 years ago when we repaired thing's and not just paid for new ones because we didn't have the money to buy new ones, It seems like we have lost all the old skills we were taught back then, I still repair rather than replace mainly not for financial reasons but because new items are not available here in Thailand, It keeps your mind alert and you have to learn to adapt and overcome these problems just like we did years ago, I'm sure you probably do have these skills in the States and I'm sure they still exist in remote parts of America where new parts aren't always easy to obtain, I can vividly remember all the old guys who taught me my skills and now living in Thailand i can appreciate what they did for me as i put them to use all the time not just on the Boat, Remember an ounce of thought to a pound of thrust, Think of ways to get around a problem don't just steam in with the first thought that comes into you head, Thanks for taking the time to read my posts i do appreciate it, Good Luck!!
Sorry i forgot what you asked about regarding living here, You can live very well here on a modest income without a problem, I don't drink or smoke but enjoy going out to many of the local Restaurants for great food, Here's an example of Seafood, A large plate of Mussels cooked Thai style with a side dish of French fries and a garlic sauce dip in a local restaurant followed by a desert and including a soft drink, $6

IMG_5172.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper Another totally AWESOME post of your travels! I am always depressed when something breaks and I don't have the skills or time to repair it, and I know that just buying a new one is cheaper than having someone repair it. For example, I have an aluminum glider (a two person bench that "swings"). The fabric has deteriorated and I can't find anyone to replace it, or that sells the fabric and spline material. So my wife wants to throw it out and just buy a new one....I can't bring myself to do that yet....so it gets relegated to my shed as a project that I'll probably never get to! We throw so much away that could be salvaged!

On the plus side, there is a place here in Raleigh that takes old electronics and uses them to train on. They fix them up and sell them - so they get two benefits.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper Another totally AWESOME post of your travels! I am always depressed when something breaks and I don't have the skills or time to repair it, and I know that just buying a new one is cheaper than having someone repair it. For example, I have an aluminum glider (a two person bench that "swings"). The fabric has deteriorated and I can't find anyone to replace it, or that sells the fabric and spline material. So my wife wants to throw it out and just buy a new one....I can't bring myself to do that yet....so it gets relegated to my shed as a project that I'll probably never get to! We throw so much away that could be salvaged!

On the plus side, there is a place here in Raleigh that takes old electronics and uses them to train on. They fix them up and sell them - so they get two benefits.
Send the fabric to me and I'll get it made and send it back to you, You have my address or i have a friend in Utah that's coming over soon i think you have his address also he can bring it with him and take the new one back and send it to you.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great pictures and information. Thanks for sharing.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sorry i forgot what you asked about regarding living here, You can live very well here on a modest income without a problem, I don't drink or smoke but enjoy going out to many of the local Restaurants for great food, Here's an example of Seafood, A large plate of Mussels cooked Thai style with a side dish of French fries and a garlic sauce dip in a local restaurant followed by a desert and including a soft drink, $6

View attachment 29096
Will she Marry Me? (just don't tell my wife)

She needs to come back before Christmas, that's far to long to wait.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will she Marry Me? (just don't tell my wife)

She needs to come back before Christmas, that's far to long to wait.
I know i feel the same but I'm sure i will keep myself busy until she returns.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok Lads since the last time i wrote we have had a massive storm here and apart from the wind it rained heavy for about 36 hours and it caused the complete loss of several of the local fishing boats out at sea thankfully without loss of life, I have taken some Photos of after the storm had passed so you can see what damage has been caused, Many small local fishing Boats were damaged also and many trees uprooted, These are Photos of the Beach in my Village.

IMG_3434.JPG
This man has lost his small Fishing Boat and is trying to locate it, He risks everything as it's his livelihood, If you look at the top right hand side of the photo you will just make out a wooden construction, This is a large amount of wooden piles sunk deep into the sea bed this is where mussels are farmed keep this in mind as it has something to do with a later Photo.

IMG_3436.JPG Him and a friend have found it and trying to get it back to shore.

IMG_3428.JPG
Another man hangs onto his mast in the hope of trying to save the Boat.

IMG_3432.JPG
This Cat was moored about 100 meters offshore it's broke the Anchor rope and is nearly on the road by the next day it had broken the rudders off.

IMG_3429.JPG Another small fishing Boat washed up on the Beach anchor rope broken.

IMG_3435.JPG IMG_3441.JPG IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3439.JPG
Ok you remember the first Photo with the wooden mussel farm well all the children have come down to the Seafront in there lunchtime from school and some Parents have joined them, The storm has brought ashore a massive amount of Crabs and all sorts of shellfish the mussel farm has also been hit and the local kids are taking advantage of the massive amount available for the picking, They will be eating well tonight.

IMG_3433.JPG Many of the trees along the beach were uprooted also.

IMG_3458.JPG
This is this morning Saturday the Sea is calmer but still not normal and the local fishermen are repairing there nets on the Beach.

IMG_1180.JPG
This is an earlier Photo of the same part of the Beach you can see the normal sea conditions.

IMG_2565.JPG
They lost 3 of these Fishing Boats.

IMG_2582.JPG

These are normal conditions, Well that's it folks i hope it's given you an insight into more local conditions here, I have to say i have lived here for several years and that's the worst it's been, I took the Photos after the storm had passed so you can imagine what it was like the previous 12 hours, I have never experienced conditions like that here before, I hope you enjoyed the latest i thought i would deviate a little from the Bangkok trips for a change, Take care.

Last edited: