• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Violated

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a Swann system. Love it. It is 700 Lines tvl and has great remote access and 24/7 support that is awesome! If I did it again I might go for the 1080 HE version, but that was a lot more expensive. You will also want more than 1 TB of storage (like 2 min). 1 TB only records 5 days worth of 12 cameras.
If you, or ANYONE decides to go HD a SERIOUS consideration needs to be how well lit the area you are monitoring is. The HD systems do NOT do night vision well. While they absolutely provide more daytime and well lit nighttime clarity, their nighttime capability in unlit areas v.s. a 700 TVL Analog system is terrible. This is the main reason I went with 700TVL analog. These HD units are meant more for indoor utilization in well lit area's like a bank or convenience store, etc......

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a night time view for reference. Cam's 2,4,5,6,7,8 are all viewing completely UNLIT areas. Only thing lighting up the area is the built in IR LEDs. Cam's 1,9, are the most lit with 40w bulb porch lights in the shot, and cam 3 has only some residual light from the porch lights in the upper left hand corner. . . the playground is completely lit by the built in IR.Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 9.22.32 AM.png

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just had a friend who's boat was broken into a few weeks ago. They got 3 amps and the head unit for some reason they didnt like his speakers and left those. Has progressive for insurance and he said they have been awesome to deal with. His boat was in a storage unit also. I know he filed a police report but nothing has been done.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we lived in England I installed an alarm system with a proximity sensor in my 300ZX. It would beep if anyone got within about 6" of the car. I was able to leave the t-tops off and know that the alarm would go off if anyone reached in. The only issue was that some passersby would be curious and try it out from lots of angles.

This is a similar product

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sucks.

Be careful about how many locks you put on, that just may encourage them to break stuff to get past the lock. Let's face it, the lock would be the strongest thing on the boat.

My Dad was a cop for 17 years (back in the 50's and 60's). Students kept siphoning gas out of a local resident's gas tank so my Dad told him to get a locking gas cap. The next time they just punched a hole in the bottom of the tank!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@DawgDaze @Suchawittygal Sorry to hear you found more evidence that they actually tried to get the stereo Danny. I have to echo what others have said, and what we discussed. Any camera surveillance you can add won't
totally deter them, but it will help. I think I would also ask the lot owner to put up signs, or let me put them up, stating that the lot is under video surveillance. If it was another tenant that hit you, that will only work if they see changes I suppose. But the system @Ronnie speaks of sounds promising too...and I know your a cell phone guy!

I know calif is expensive, but hopefully secure storage can be had at a regionally appropriate price. If not, spend the money on some added security and befriend the owner/manager a little to get his help with the signs.

We were targets of a home robbery years ago. We know how violated you feel. It will subside with some time. And again sorry you experienced it.

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thieves just suck!!!! Bottom line.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@DawgDaze @Suchawittygal

Very sorry to see this happened today. The feeling of violation is often as big (or bigger) than the monetary loss and/or damage done. The jetboaters.net crew has your back. A lot of good ideas generated already. Best wishes to you.

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you guys for all of your help and comments. It DOES make me feel better about the whole thing. Well, as I type we are sitting in the middle of Lake
Perris and eating lunch as we enjoy the sound of this awesome sound system that is still here ! HAHA. The engines are purring like a kitten so that eliminated my concern about the gas tank being vandalized. @txav8r the storage people are NO HELP at all. They told me they won't put lights or cameras up because the are eliminating the car port all together!! So im going to have to find another home for the dawg.

bigwoo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got some camera systems that have eight 2.1 megapixel cameras and 2 terabyte hard drives for 1500. A hd camera covers more area than a analog . Uses cat 5 cable . @Julian

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've got some camera systems that have eight 2.1 megapixel cameras and 2 terabyte hard drives for 1500. A hd camera covers more area than a analog . Uses cat 5 cable . @Julian
My system is installed now, and would be very hard to repull the cables behind the siding. It does its job. Thanks for the thought though....

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do they handle night vision?

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check out a product called mobile drone. It's an alarm system that is integrated with your cell phone. A buddy of mine installed it in his boat and kids car and paired it to his cell.
Basically when someone or something enters the boat he or anyone else he wants gets a text letting him/them know. If the boat or his kids car moves after a certain time at night or passed a geo fence he set up he gets a text. If his kid drive fast than a speed he sets he gets a text. Systems start at $300 I think and go up depending on how Many and what type of sensors you want.
Check out a product called mobile drone. It's an alarm system that is integrated with your cell phone. A buddy of mine installed it in his boat and kids car and paired it to his cell.
Basically when someone or something enters the boat he or anyone else he wants gets a text letting him/them know. If the boat or his kids car moves after a certain time at night or passed a geo fence he set up he gets a text. If his kid drive fast than a speed he sets he gets a text. Systems start at $300 I think and go up depending on how Many and what type of sensors you want.
I have no power what so ever so I would need straight battery power. I could rig that up no problem if necessary . I will check all this out . Thanks for the info!

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@DawgDaze I hope you mean by "finding another home for the Dawg" you mean storage and not selling her!
OMG! LOL. Sorry Mel! I DO mean find other storage that I find suitable for the dawg. That boat has brought this family nothing but FUN and it's not going anywhere. My goal is relocation to a house with more property to build my workshop for the boat AND truck!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My goal is relocation to a house with more property to build my workshop for the boat AND truck!
I share the same dream. . . . . . We actually looked at buying the property across the street from the lake house to do just that. Went to the tax map, tracked down the owners, sent them a letter, and they aren't interested in selling "at this time". I hope you have better luck :)

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's crap! I am so sorry to hear this and hopefully the new place will be safer.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Up here in my area, they have a few secured storage warehouses specifically for boats, RVs and the like. There's one in the Bay area that charges about $250/month and I use one that's about $150. I like these because my boat is only one of 100s in there and in the case the one I use, they rack the boats up to 5 stories high and mine is on the second story. There are trade offs to this set up, but one of the big advantages is I know my baby is in a heated garage all winter and the only time people can physically access it it when the warehouse is open. This type of place does have 24-hour access as there's a drop-off and pick up area that's also under video surveillance and is also only accessible to those who have a door code. If you'd like more info, PM me and I can get it to you.

The one I use for the winter is about 120 miles away from home, but for the $100 </month, it's worth it for me as I am up in that general area on a monthly basis anyway.