• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which boat to buy?

Nick Hughes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fully realizing this is a jet boat forum, I'm still asking as more than a few member will have come from a stern boat. Never owned a boat, want something to seat 8 for casual lake cruising, tubing, eventually skiing once the kids are older. Biggest lake we'd use would be Lake Erie to PIB. Came across the Yamaha 242 Limited today and really liked a lot about it, especially the swim deck and seats. I'd originally thought I'd get a prop boat and an older sea Ray seemed appropriate. So in the 50k range it's a 2015-2016 242 or a 2008 sea Ray 260 sun deck.

I'd LOVE to hear some opinions!

I came from stern drive boats and won't ever go back. Love no out drives because of safety for the kids and no maintainance. We spend most of our time hanging out on the back of the boat and haven't come across any other boat that has as good a set up as the Yamaha. Also love the fact that a Yamaha boat is all Yamaha and all designed to work together.

@Nick Hughes I came from an i/o and am totally addicted to the jet boat experience. I would have to get a boat two feet longer to get the same room I get in my 21 ft 212x. The lack of maintenance and control of the boat (once you get used to the handling) can't be beat. I would get the yamaha hands down.

I traded a Four Winns 224 Fundeck (similar to the Sea Ray in layout) for my 242 LS. The Yamaha is a lot lighter, and way more responsive. The first time I drove the LS in 'big' water, I had a bit of trouble finding the right speed to avoid slamming and stay dry, but now feel confident in 3+ foot waves and chop.The maintenance on a stern drive is punishing financially, and I now do my own maintenance, so major cost savings. I would definitely recommend the Yamaha vs the Sea Ray. Good luck!

Same story here, I/O to jet drive and not looking back.
Yamaha has a great package for family boating and the maintenance is easy.
My only reservation in your case would be running the jet boat on a big water. Our lake is small and generally very light water in terms of waves. Busy days the wakes from larger boats can sling us around pretty good. Frankly the Yamaha doesn't handle chop well due to it's relatively flat bottom. Can be a rough ride with any decent sized chop. Seems to me Lake Erie could be a rough place to run a jet boat.
Others on this forum run their Yamahas in the ocean so they would have a different opinion.
Either way good luck with your decision making and enjoy your new boat.

@Nick Hughes welcome aboard. First of all this forum welcomes ALL boaters so, weather you go with a jet boat or a stern drive you're welcome here. The common denominator is boat. We all have a lot of knowledge and information to share. My first and current boat is a 23' Yamaha SX230. My primary reasons for buying it were: no transmission, no outdrive and NO PROPS. I have two grand kids and wanted them safe as I have known people injured by props. Other good reasons are inexpensive and simplicity of maintenance, deck and swim platform layout, the all inclusive package and most of all the great support of this forum. I have saved many thousands of dollars from the tips and advice from these guys and gals.

I boat exclusively in the ocean and experience a lot of diverse weather and sea conditions. While this is a light boat it can handle most of the conditions your experience, intestinal fortitude and wife will allow. There is most likely a member close by you. Check our member map to see who's near you and give them a call. Many of us offer ride alongs during the season but we'll all take your calls and questions year round. A boat is a great place to bring up your kids.

I heard this was a great forum and with all the replies this is great. We're going to the dealership this afternoon to take a look at some other versions. We don't need the wake tower so are looking for the limited. Having never purchased a boat and can't believe I'm considering new, how much off MSRP do these boats sell for?

Also, can you upgrade the exhaust on these to sound like the rumbling V8s?

@Nick Hughes , welcome aboard. Pricing discounts from msrp are purely a regional supply/demand thing. Your best avenue is to quote as many dealers as you can. I bought my boat from a dealership that is an hour further away than my local dealer, and in doing so, I saved about 10%. You're more likely to get a better deal from the dealer who has "your" boat on hand versus one who has to order/transfer one in.
Regarding your initial post of Yamaha vs. SeaRay, I've owned props and I currently own a 24' Yamaha. I would add the following to what has already been said:
1. Lake Erie water can often be too rough for you to enjoy your day in a 24 foot Yamaha, and a 26 foot Sundeck. They are both wave slappers. A V-hull is a smoother ride, but doesn't have as much useable space and is heavier to tow.
2. The I/O drive on the SeaRay has the ability to adjust trim so that you can trim your bow up in rough water, resulting in a safer and dryer voyage.
3. Two engines on the Yamaha add a significant amount of safety in the event of mechanical problems.
4. If there are a lot of weeds/debris close to the surface where you plan on boating, I think that the prop is a better way to go. It's much easier to put the boat into slow reverse to unwind tangled weeds.
5. The Yamaha is light and easy to tow.
6. The 2015 or newer Yamaha will outhandle the Sundeck. At 52 mph, I can yank my steering full starboard or full port and the Yamaha turns like it's on rails without any cavitation. It feels like a sports car.
7. As a first boat, I think that the Yamaha is a more idiot-proof setup. Chances are that you'll be rebuilding your lower unit and replacing a prop or two within the first five years of owning an I/O.

Good luck.

Welcome Aboard @Nick Hughes!

You have received some great answers here. I own a Yamaha and really like the 260 Sundeck. I live in shallow water so jet drive is a must for me. Sea Ray almost launched a jet boat series that I was really excited about. The Yamaha will have much lower maintenance costs and the twin engines give you better maneuverability in tight spaces and a backup if something goes wrong. I would certainly opt for a new Yamaha over a used 260 Sundeck.

Stopped by the dealer and got to brass tax. Essentially 3 options:

242 limited e series: 61999
242 limited s: 61999
242 limited: 58999

The wake tower isn't all that important, but since they sell so many, no real working on price. All are not including $1995 freight and prep. And all would come with $1200 cover, $500 gift card to the shop (which we can use), and free storage for a year, which we can't use.

So not real happy with the pricing so far.

Stopped by the dealer and got to brass tax. Essentially 3 options:

242 limited e series: 61999
242 limited s: 61999
242 limited: 58999

The wake tower isn't all that important, but since they sell so many, no real working on price. All are not including $1995 freight and prep. And all would come with $1200 cover, $500 gift card to the shop (which we can use), and free storage for a year, which we can't use.

So not real happy with the pricing so far.

After understanding the differences between the 14's and the 15/16's, are you dead set on new if you choose the Yamaha? There are some amazing deals on the 10's through 14 right now.

I have decided on 15/16. I found a 15 limited s for 54 near me. Any differences in the 2 years?

After understanding the differences between the 14's and the 15/16's, are you dead set on new if you choose the Yamaha? There are some amazing deals on the 10's through 14 right now.

@Nick Hughes 2014 and older are great boats, but you'd probably end up wanting the new stuff on the 2015 and newer models so I'd save the time in upgrading in a year or so and just get what you'll end up with as long as it in the budget.

@Nick Hughes It might be helpful to share your location. Might be some insight on the dealer(s) close to you. I have a guess on your dealer just based on your comments about Erie /PIB and pricing

I have decided on 15/16. I found a 15 limited s for 54 near me. Any differences in the 2 years?

The only differences between 2015 & 2016 are colors in the 242 Limited & Limited S. The E-Series is all new for 2016. Did they go over the benefits of the E-Series?

In 2015 they added the articulating keel, quite cruise, sea deck, new tower, hinged seats, 6" longer, anchor locker, etc...

We briefly discussed the e series. Just pushing beyond my budget.

I would echo what so many have already said. Except for this:

If you think your kids might be skiing on it someday, it might make sense to get a tower now rather than to try to add one later. That was my rationale, as well as (being a new boater) being able to have something that the kids and I could use as hand holds to board/disembark (rather than a bimini top rod, which tends to give way...).

I would echo what so many have already said. Except for this:

If you think your kids might be skiing on it someday, it might make sense to get a tower now rather than to try to add one later. That was my rationale, as well as (being a new boater) being able to have something that the kids and I could use as hand holds to board/disembark (rather than a bimini top rod, which tends to give way...).

X2

But not for skiing....helps a lot with wake surfing and wake boarding. Wake surfing you may find YOU want to try as it is a great low impact wake sport.

So let me ask this, I may end up buying a 2015 site unseen, can someone confirm the interior colors. From the brochure here: http://www.yamahaboats.com/brochures/BOAT_CATALOG_2015.pdf

Here is what i think i see
black exterior has white/gray accents.
suede exterior has cream/beige accents.
yacht blue exterior has ???.

All have the same brown helm/compartment areas?

Back