• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which do you like better? <iPhone/Droid etc>

I'm due a new phone and was wondering what is your phone of choice and why?

• Total voters

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@robbo3 sort of viable work around, but doesn't work when you want to load a bunch of movies to watch on a week long trip to India 4 days of which you are on planes. Prefer my workaround...just add a 64GB micro sd card and off you go.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Android on a Galaxy ....The only way to go....for me:winkingthumbsup"

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im dealing with a kid, and some non-technical folks in the circle..... Gotta be the iPhone for ease of use ...Can the Andriod do group chat? GPS phone finder in real time? we use those a lot...
Group texts is a carrier feature that almost all phones support but some carriers don't for some phones. I am not sure you can find a phone that does not have a phone finder app.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll preface by saying this is a subjective decision. To each his/her own. I toggle between iOS and Android every day. For the most part using both isn't to big of an issue, but the lack of fixed menu and back buttons on iOS drives me crazy. Android is my phone and what I carry all day. An Apple iPod Touch 5th gen is my night/morning time media device.

I switched from the Apple platform to Android with a short stopover on Windows 8.

Apple iOS/phone
Pros:
- Solid construction.
- Decent specs, camera, speed, screen, phone quality.
- Dependable software, easy to use.
- Thin, lightweight
- Very fast battery charge time
- Long battery life, no worries about making it through a day
- Better app management. Keeps battery drain to a minimum.
- I prefer the earphone jack on the bottom with the iPod vs the top on the Samsung S3.

Cons:
- No user replaceable battery (a bit hot button for me and a deal breaker)
- No micro-SD card slot. Adding memory means buying more expensive versions of the phone.
- I rather liked the iOS 6 version but do not like what Apple did with iOS 7
- I quite dislike iTunes. Weird to use from day one and even after several years I still don't like it.
- No "back" or "menu" button. Those features are on screen and vary from app to app making them difficult to find and use - especially in iOS 7 where things were made thinner and less obvious. To use the back button in the Apple browser you must scroll back to make the button appear.
- Apple proprietary power/data cable. Expensive and not industry standard.
- Lack of user customization. Some features have taken Apple years to add such as a quick and easy access to adjust screen brightness.
- Apple notifier is especially weak.

Windows 8

Pros:
- Simple user interface is quick and easy to learn.
- Crossover with Windows 8 PC and tablets. Common interface makes sense to me.

Cons:
- Lack of certain apps that are found on iOS and Android
- Lack of some basic OS features such as individual sound levels for alarm, music, system, etc. (HA! May 19, 2014 I just received an email telling me there are now individual volume controls in Phone 8.1 in response to a feature request I submitted. Cool)
- Three level brightness control with no easy and quick access to the control.

Android/Samsung S3

Pros:
- Tons of user customization.
- All the apps I want/need are available
- Notifier is very powerful
- Thin and lightweight
- User replaceable battery (a must for me). This is not for daily battery replacement with a 2nd battery. This is for battery end-of-life which begins to deteriorate immediately and slowly deteriorates over 1 to 3 years when the battery needs to be replaced. Apple - send it in and pay $75-125. Samsung - buy a battery for $10 and pop it in. It's a no brainer for me.
- MicroSD card slot. My S3 has 48GB of memory.
- Widgets
- Standard USB cable for charging/data.
- Back and Menu buttons are much easier to use than iOS model.

Cons:
- Not as well managed as iOS for app consistency
- Battery drain is significant. Must manage power drain, even with free apps that are designed to help with that problem. Constant concern about making it through the day on a single charge. This is my biggest complaint about the S3/Android.
- Long battery charge times

Overall I prefer the Android/Samsung platform. Unless Apple provides a user replaceable battery I won't even look at their devices including tablets, laptops, and phones.

The laptop I'm typing this on is a new Sony VAIO Flip 14" which has a user replaceable battery.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Forgot all about the annoying charging cables of the iPhones....royal PITA!
The S4 and 5 both hold charges much better, and my Note 3 can go 2 days with one battery depending on what I'm doing! My note charger charges the battery 1% per minute (USB 3.0)

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have no issues with apple battery life on any of my devices. The power cables are only an issue if you are not all apple. If you are then it is no big deal, in fact the most annoying device to charge in my family is the girls' kindle fire readers because the cable is different. All about perspective and personal use. Oh the back button is a simple tap at the very bottom of the screen.

Someone mentioned ford vs Chevy. I used to drive Chevy and use windows and android, now I drive fords and use apple. Probably won't ever go back on either... I also used to boat in a stern drive, but I have seen the light!

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Apple much too expensive for what you get, and then you get stuck on their proprietary nonsense to include no storage.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Android edging out idevices by 1 vote. . . . . But there seems to be more people actually posting in favor of Android.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a few facts to further complicate things...

At the end of Q1 2014 Samsung holds a 31% world wide market share for cell phones while Apple holds 15%. Both companies lost market share in Q1 to second tier companies like Hauwei and Lenovo. The total market grew in Q1. Apple is slipping because it does not have a presence in the low cost market segment.

Huawei remained steady with 5% global smartphone marketshare in Q1 2014, while Lenovo has increased its global presence from 4% to 5% share during the past year.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
31% is a huge number considering the number of phones in the market. I thought it would be close between Android and Apple but did think that Apple would have the overall edge. I do appreciate the feedback on these devices and I'm still on the fence about which way to go. By the time I get around to going to the nearest ATT store there will be a new batch of phones that are bigger and better than what's out there now!!

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Love the Galaxy S4 and S5. Not a fan of the iPhone. I like the open format and not trapped into Apple apps. I know why Apple did that and that's why people say it's easy to use because they can make sure everything works together. But when you want to go outside what they think you should do you have major headaches.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait a minute..... @Julian ..There is a squirt gun video??

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you drink beer from your phone?

View attachment 6007

Important info for those of you switching from Apple to anything else:

http://www.businessinsider.com/fix-iphone-imessage-not-sending-texts-to-non-apple-phones-2014-5
No, but I can spill beer on mine. :eek::( I'm not a big Apple fan. I do think they make a great product but I don't like being held hostage. Propritary systems have been the death of companies before like Digital and Wang computer companies. I don't believe Apple will fail as I think they will smarten up as their market share erodes. Steve Job's "alternate reality" will be suplanted by customer demand at some point.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Refuse to be an Itunes hostage. Been on Android since it came out, phones and tablets. I really like the fact I can plug it into ANY computer and access the files. But just to skew things I have a I-mac on my desk at home but just use it as a basic PC and it works fine.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For you none Apple folks out there...what do you use to buy music?? I use iTunes then load them on my Windows phone through an app. I know there are other sites, just haven't taken the time to look for them.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For you none Apple folks out there...what do you use to buy music?? I use iTunes then load them on my Windows phone through an app. I know there are other sites, just haven't taken the time to look for them.
I use either the google play store or amazon to purchase music.