• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why do phones cost so much?

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was responding to a work email while on the lake today. A wasp buzzed my face and I instinctively went to swat it away, but because I just put on sun tan lotion, my hands were slick and there went my iPhone into the water. I was in 40 feet of water and no luck of ever retrieving. So, I go to replace the phone and the bill is $750!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? This is just nuts!!! Welcome to the 21st century.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Sign up for an additional line and get the phone on promo (subsidized) and then port your other # over. you would have to do the math but it could work out cheaper?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Someone recently told me about square trade (insurance). $5 month. Anyone have/use it?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Lifecase. I don't know if it floats but maybe you could have saved it. It's cheaper than the cost of the deductible on most insurance claims.

craigm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An iPhone would have cost $3.5 million to build back in 1991, according to back-of-the-envelope-math by TechPolicyDaily.

Here's how the site reached that astronomical sum:

• GB flash memory: $45,000 in 1991 vs. $0.55 today.
  • Thus, 32GB flash memory = $1.44 million.
  • Apple's processor, which produces about 20,500 millions of instructions per second: $620,000 in 1991.
  • The cost of mobile communication in 1991: $100 per kilobit per second.
  • The iPhone delivers speeds in the 15Mbps range today: 15,000Kbps (15Mbps) x $100 = $1.5 million.
Add those rough numbers ($1.44 million + $620,000 + $1.5 million) and you get $3.56 million. TechPoliceDaily also points out that sum doesn't even account for the iPhone's camera, operating system, display, apps, or motion detectors.

Wow.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why are they so expensive?

G R E E D

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you think it's too expensive......then don't buy it. It's that simple. You don't have to "have" an iPhone.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recall my neighbor buying a CD player in 1983. It cost $1,100 which adjusted for inflation would be $2,500 today. I was too cheap and still had some older 8 tracks and cassettes. The portable camcorder we bought in 1986 for $700 would be $1,700 today. It's all perspective.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was responding to a work email while on the lake today. A wasp buzzed my face and I instinctively went to swat it away, but because I just put on sun tan lotion, my hands were slick and there went my iPhone into the water. I was in 40 feet of water and no luck of ever retrieving. So, I go to replace the phone and the bill is $750!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? This is just nuts!!! Welcome to the 21st century.
Why does my wife always want the most expensive one? Her upgrade is going to set me back $1000. IMHO, the upgrade isn't worth it........but at this point, my marriage is ;)

All kidding aside, That sucks @Shuck Water sorry to hear, $750 is a lot of money for avoiding a wasp sting!!!

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
They're expensive because they are computers - GPS devices - cameras - WiFi hot spots and more (like state of the art batteries, break resistant glass, microphones, speakers, and flashes) all crammed into a tiny package. I know there's profit in there, as there should be, but that's a lot of new tech for $750.

Unfortunately the phone companies are backing down on some of their subsidies so I think the real cost of our new phones and upgrades will become more apparent.

I agree with the idea of adding another line assuming the math still works as well as it used to.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Phones are like airline tickets. We expect more from them every year and then act shocked if the prices don't stagnate or decrease. The phone replaces so many other items now its crazy. Even more crazy is how you would look at it differently if you were carrying around $750 cash in your pocket and chucking it about like its nothing (not that the OP was doing that). Sorry you lost it, that is a bummer.

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Sorry you lost it, that is a bummer.
Agreed - huge bummer. I'm so dependent on mine I'd go nuts if it was gone for an hour, let alone lost in 40' of water.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An iPhone would have cost $3.5 million to build back in 1991, according to back-of-the-envelope-math by TechPolicyDaily.

Here's how the site reached that astronomical sum:

• GB flash memory: $45,000 in 1991 vs. $0.55 today.
  • Thus, 32GB flash memory = $1.44 million.
  • Apple's processor, which produces about 20,500 millions of instructions per second: $620,000 in 1991.
  • The cost of mobile communication in 1991: $100 per kilobit per second.
  • The iPhone delivers speeds in the 15Mbps range today: 15,000Kbps (15Mbps) x $100 = $1.5 million.
Add those rough numbers ($1.44 million + $620,000 + $1.5 million) and you get $3.56 million. TechPoliceDaily also points out that sum doesn't even account for the iPhone's camera, operating system, display, apps, or motion detectors.

Wow.
Dang!

I'm Glad I waited! :eek:

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well, since you were answering a work email...shouldn't they be paying for it?

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, since you were answering a work email...shouldn't they be paying for it?
Definitely agree, but I doubt they will see it that way. Moral of story is just pay the $10/mo. for the silly insurance or man up and take the sting!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lifecase. I don't know if it floats but maybe you could have saved it. It's cheaper than the cost of the deductible on most insurance claims.
My son had a Lifeproof case on an iPhone. He dropped it from hip height and the screen shattered like an old lady's hip! They are supposedly waterproof but you need the $29 life jacket on it which makes it as big as a brick. I have Otterboxes on all my phones. Solid as a rock! I also have the insurance through Verizon and have had three iPhones replaced for a $50 deductible. It's about $8.99 a month.