• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 Hour Service Cost

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha should add it to the price and pay the dealer when its done. I bought used so it doesn't matter to me. Can't tell you how many posts like this one I've read. Dont think that realize how this is giving people a sour attitude just days after buying a boat.
You are paying for it regardless, but yeah it could be a nice marketing campaign that Yamaha covers the first 10 hour service charge. Yamaha isn't really targeting the value boater segment like they once were though.

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
yeah... I enjoy working on the boat (I added interior LEDs, tower speakers, Sub, two amps, etc...) but I dont want to do something that will come back to bite me later. I may try and see if there is a detailed description of what to do in the 10 hour service and see if I feel like its over my head. From my understanding its the grease that is the hardest part. Too much could cause a seal failure and be a disaster!

Nothing Ive done to my boat so far could cause it to take on water if I messed something up!!! :)

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah... I enjoy working on the boat (I added interior LEDs, tower speakers, Sub, two amps, etc...) but I dont want to do something that will come back to bite me later. I may try and see if there is a detailed description of what to do in the 10 hour service and see if I feel like its over my head. From my understanding its the grease that is the hardest part. Too much could cause a seal failure and be a disaster!

Nothing Ive done to my boat so far could cause it to take on water if I messed something up!!! :)
Service wise It's going to be oil change and greasing the housing bearings. I don't think it's required that you change the spark plugs, but some do. The rest of the stuff is just going over checking for loose bolts/clamps and making sure everything is working. That stuff you should be doing anyways. Search for greasing the housing bearing threads on here. There are a lot of opinions and methods. The main thing is you don't want to do it too fast as you could damage the seal. Oil change is pretty straight forward lots of threads on that.

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great. Thank you!

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just got my 10 hour service in Michigan. It was ~$500. Seemed steep, but I didn’t want to do it myself.
Same. Wound up being $475 otd using a $25 Yamaha survey coupon. Promptly uploaded my service info to the Yamalube Advantage website to maintain their 20yr/5000hr transferrable engine warranty (for oil wetted parts of the engines). Pretty sure it doesn't require the dealer do the service to have that though. Ok to DIY long as you use their specified parts/oil.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same. Wound up being $475 otd using a $25 Yamaha survey coupon. Promptly uploaded my service info to the Yamalube Advantage website to maintain their 20yr/5000hr transferrable engine warranty (for oil wetted parts of the engines). Pretty sure it doesn't require the dealer do the service to have that though. Ok to DIY long as you use their specified parts/oil.
Darn! I forgot about that coupon.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer charges $540 based upon the receipt they handed me. I paid for a 2 years maintenance and winterization package up front though.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What he said- if it was included in the sale then the sale price would go up, and those of you taking that 0 down 3.9% for 60 months and 7.9% for the renaming 180.. do the math on how much interest you just paid on a oil change lololol. It comes down to how much you value your time or lack there of. And yes if you do the 10 hour service, Yamaha could void your warranty, even if they do the service and you have a problem, it is likely to still be a fight to get it repaired. Usually is. Keep us posted.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
After this weekend i will be past the 10hr mark so i called the dealer i bought her from and they said since i was a "loyal" customer it'll be $149. And thanks for reminding me about that $25 yamaha coupon. Its been sittin in my inbox.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got 9.5 hours on my boat, It's not the cost it's the pain of taking it to my dealer. 30 minutes each way and I have to drop it off. It makes an oil change and some grease seem easy. Although everyone has me worried about too much grease and breaking the seal.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just paid $300 for my 10 hour. After talking to one of the mechanics I don't think they really do much. The guy I talked to said they looked over the boat, made sure the radio was working (no chit sherlock) and made sure things were tight. I'd LOVE to talk to an actually certified Yamaha mechanic to see what they actually do because I suspect alot of smoke is being blown up our aces.

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really think doing the job ourselves would be best. Who is going to care more about our boats? Certainly not a service guy at a dealership!

Is there a post on here listing step by step the process for a 10 hour service?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What he said- if it was included in the sale then the sale price would go up, and those of you taking that 0 down 3.9% for 60 months and 7.9% for the renaming 180.. do the math on how much interest you just paid on a oil change lololol. It comes down to how much you value your time or lack there of. And yes if you do the 10 hour service, Yamaha could void your warranty, even if they do the service and you have a problem, it is likely to still be a fight to get it repaired. Usually is. Keep us posted.
My dealer wanted somewhere around $500 so using the great info on this forum I did it myself and have done all the maintenance since. Nobody will take care of my boat like I will. Also, a manufacturer cannot void a warranty for DIY maintenance, but you must keep good records.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just dropped mine off it had 20 hours on it. I purchased the oil and filter kit off of Amazon for 42.00. The charge for the dealer to do it is $180 or that’s is what they quoted me. I think that’s fair however this dealer is not the same dealer I bought it from because the dealer that I bought it from sucks Is two weeks out and can’t seem to call anybody back their customer service and phone skills suck here in Minnesota but this particular dealership is well-versed in Yamaha but typically outboards so I gave them instructions printed out the diagram how much grease 1.11 ounces or whatever it is for the 10 hour service and I trust it is in good hands. I just don’t know have the time and didn’t want to deal with the mess and the headache. Plus it’s a two day turnaround time.

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are there instructions anywhere for the 10 hour service?

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
There’s basically a list in the manual for things to check but the break down is essentially:

an oil and filter change
greasing the intermediate bearing with 1.11 ounces marine grade grease
Checking plugs
checking connections clamps etc.

That’s it really.

80CC3C3C-7099-4CAA-BD75-B62411C1E831.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome, thank you!

Are the bearing houses easy to find? Ive done oil changes before but even added grease... that is the only thing I am apprehensive about.

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do all the pivot points in the picture have nipples for the grease gun to attach to or is it one main input for the entire engine?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do all the pivot points in the picture have nipples for the grease gun to attach to or is it one main input for the entire engine?
All those pivot points are just simple joints (no grease nipples). The only grease nipple is on the bearing housing. It is interesting to note that they don't call out the grease at the nozzle cone anywhere (which I guess is a 100 or 200 hour service point)?