• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2 drownings in 2 weeks.

Yambers

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

This is the lake we usually boat at. I will say that while swimming on Saturday my legs smacked a submerged tree trunk just a few feet below the surface. We were in 20+ feet of water. It would have easily impaled someone jumping off of a boat into the water. No idea how these drownings occurred, but easy to see how they could.

Last edited:
There have been far too many drownings at our lake as well. In each story, the victim jumps into the water never to seen again. It has convinced me to have some floatation device/ PFD when even going in for a dip. The wife has always been Leary of our lake. There are some plenty of YouTube videos that cover the drownings on our lake. I believe it’s the highest rate of drowning for the entire south east.

Impalement is my guess. At our lake, there is still someone missing for years. They say he jumped in, his head came out of the water with a panicked look and went right back under. Gone!

To me, this makes a case for having some sort of down and side imaging on board. There are submerged trees in the little coves on the closest lake to me, and before jumping in I’ll make a swing around the cove to see there is anything that would not be conducive to jumping in the water. Most of the time at this main lake, the water is so clear you can see 15‘ down, but on the windy days you cannot see past the surface.

To me, this makes a case for having some sort of down and side imaging on board. There are submerged trees in the little coves on the closest lake to me, and before jumping in I’ll make a swing around the cove to see there is anything that would not be conducive to jumping in the water. Most of the time at this main lake, the water is so clear you can see 15‘ down, but on the windy days you cannot see past the surface.
Good thought. Are you thinking about some fish finder technology?

Good thought. Are you thinking about some fish finder technology?

Yes, like my Solix MFD.. it has the 2D fish finder, as well as Side Imaging and Down imaging. The down imagining gives a great picture, but the cone or size of the area imaged will be small in shallow water.. .that’s why I will move the boat around and use the side imaging as well to see what the bottom looks like. In addition, if you opt for a lake master chip there is a lot of information for the chart as well, it also includes the ability to set the “water off set” which means you set the lake level into the chart to accurately represent the body of water you are on. You can also set colors to represent different depths, I have red representing water that is 5’ or less in depth. On some of the lake master charts things like submerged trees will be indicated with orange dots…

That’s a great idea. I plan on troll fishing this year and get a fish finder. I’ll look at my options so it will do what you’re suggesting. The person I referenced was a fit dude. Military. I’m convinced it was a tree
that got him.

That’s a great idea. I plan on troll fishing this year and get a fish finder. I’ll look at my options so it will do what you’re suggesting. The person I referenced was a fit dude. Military. I’m convinced it was a tree
that got him.

Its sad to hear about folks having accidents like that….a man drowned last year at my local lake, I had been in the spot he drowned the day before. That man was a very well liked member of the community.

Of the Humminbird systems I think the Helix line is the less expensive option. I chose the Solix as it had the higher resolution, better graphics and touch screen. Now Humminbird has the Apex series which has even better graphics but the Apex had not come on the market yet when I bought my set up. I wanted the best system I could get when I bought mine and that is what the folks at the dealer suggested.

It is for sure scary to think about jumping in the water after the recent events and finding the logs. It is just something most people do not think about. The week prior we watched a "party barge" full of people jumping off the top deck right about in the same spot. We will be looking into purchasing some sort of device if we are going to continue boating. I don't think the life of a family member is worth it just to swim in a dirty ass lake or ocean, and I don't think I like fishing enough to spend this kind of cash just to fish. ha.

@zipper 9” may be a bit too big for some helms. (That's what she said). Couldn't help myself. Thanks for the link. Pricey, but nice.

It is for sure scary to think about jumping in the water after the recent events and finding the logs. It is just something most people do not think about. The week prior we watched a "party barge" full of people jumping off the top deck right about in the same spot. We will be looking into purchasing some sort of device if we are going to continue boating. I don't think the life of a family member is worth it just to swim in a dirty ass lake or ocean, and I don't think I like fishing enough to spend this kind of cash just to fish. ha.

@zipper 9” may be a bit too big for some helms. (That's what she said). Couldn't help myself. Thanks for the link. Pricey, but nice.

Ya, I set that up pretty good. Lol

If I can't touch the bottom - I am wearing a lifejacket. Just my personal rule.

I have a simple rule for any minors on board, they must wear a PFD when they are on the boat and in the water next to it.

most boaters and I assume swimmers can’t afford side scanning depth finders. So the guideline posted at many of the shallow lakes and reservoirs that i frequent is, “Always get in / dive in the water feet first” especially if you are unsure of it’s depth/the water is not clear.

I have a simple rule for any minors on board, they must wear a PFD when they are on the boat and in the water next to it.

most boaters and I assume swimmers can’t afford side scanning depth finders. So the guideline posted at many of the shallow lakes and reservoirs that i frequent is, “Always get in / dive in the water feet first” especially if you are unsure of it’s depth/the water is not clear.

It is upsetting to read or watch news stories about drownings that could have been avoided if only the person was wearing a PDF or forced the kids with them to do so. Here in northern /central CA there are often stories about a kid or kids who get in trouble while wading near shore, sometimes they under estimate the current and get pulled down river. Family, friends or strangers attempt a rescue and they drown as well. Sometimes they have the ability to borrow a PDF for free but they don’t do so and end up on the news.

My fear besides diving into hazards is getting caught in tree limbs. Especially if they are littered with fishing line. Couple wraps and a little panic could end bad.

Here is one way children have accidents, this truck was traveling at 40 mph I followed it and could not believe my eyes 2 adults on the outside and a young boy probably around 14 and a younger girl probably 12 or less sitting in between the adults on the tail gate of this pickup truck the children looked horrified and the parents looked like they had a few. And mom was waving the middle finger at us for taking pictures!

Attachments

• Saw this truck going 40 pmh on the main road of fort desoto park in traffic 2 adults and 2 min...jpg
    Saw this truck going 40 pmh on the main road of fort desoto park in traffic 2 adults and 2 min...jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Here is one way children have accidents, this truck was traveling at 40 mph I followed it and could not believe my eyes 2 adults on the outside and a young boy probably around 14 and a younger girl probably 12 or less sitting in between the adults on the tail gate of this pickup truck the children looked horrified and the parents looked like they had a few.
[/QUOTE
Unbelievable…

What is a megapixel and what is this phone thing I keep hearing about????

Last edited:
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC

We really need to get you a phone with more than 1 megapixel.

I don't think you notice or appreciate Jeff's lifelike freehand drawing skills while driving at 40mph the way you really should. His use of colors and shading is phenomenal, it's like the people are about to practically leap off the screen at you! LOL

Back