• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Limited S $2000 prep fee??

Kevin Howland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This will be my first boat purchase and the dealer is attempting to charge a $2k prep and freight fee atop the list price.

Does this seems a bit excessive?

Thanks,

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Reading previous new boat purchases on here it seems most are able to have the dealers remove this fee or at least throw in some goodies to counter it. Just depends on how willing the dealer is on negotiating. Here is a recent thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-2015-242-limited-s.6292/#post-107943

I would have a hard time paying that mysterious prep fee without them throwing in 2k worth of gear (life jackets, covers, oil, ropes, fenders, etc all the little essentials that add up.)

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3 words (that are NSFW). . . . . FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

It's ALL about supply and demand though. . . . which is why it's much harder to negotiate boat prices in season.

Guaranteed that would be waived during boat show season. Mine was waived entirely and I still got goodies tossed in.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Kevin Howland A prep and freight fee is BS!! At worst, it should be MSRP plus taxes, out the door! 10% on accessories, a full tank of gas and a boaters kit should be included as well! If others are less than MSRP then that's fantastic! This was my two experiences in purchasing my Yamaha's in 2007 and 2013.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How much more is the galvanized trailer compared to the regular?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess we would have to know how much your paying in total. It reminds of the car commercial with the balloon. On the balloon they have written, trade in, car price, finance charges and when they squeeze one part of the balloon the other parts increase.

If he's selling the boat at his cost and making his money on this fee maybe it's ok, if he's throwing in a galvanized trailer, mooring cover, yes warranty and other stuff maybe it's ok for you,

maybe it is a supply and demand issue and you have to,

I would shop around to make sure you know what a fair market price is,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and glad to have you on board! update your profile with your location so we know where you're at,

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much more is the galvanized trailer compared to the regular?
$350.00, but with you paying sticker plus setup and freight it should be part of the deal.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You might wanna look at a different dealer.
You do NOT have to have a close-by dealer.
You would be surprised at the larger differences sometimes in dealers, their attitudes, how they treat customers, prices, and more.

And if none of what I have written resonates with you yet, please consider this:
How much do you expect to pay for routine service with this same fine, classy dealer who feels as though you must pay HIM for the PRIVILEDGE of buying from him ???

Consider AT LEAST talking to another dealer, nearby. Ya might be greatly surprised.

And ... by the way .... WHAT city/state do you reside in?

Hope this helps you, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This will be my first boat purchase and the dealer is attempting to charge a $2k prep and freight fee atop the list price.

Does this seems a bit excessive?

Thanks,
:Welcome:

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will say this, separate from your total out the door price. Prep fee is set by the dealer, but there is some prep that has to be done on each new boat, some dealers do more prep than others and it shows in how often you have to go back after delivery for little nagging things. Freight fee is set by Yamaha and is an actual cost to the dealer and is charged to all dealers regardless of distance from the factory. MSRP is just that, suggested retail, that is not dealer cost, but also remember that Yamaha does not have a huge markup like other brands in their MSRP. A dealer that doesn't sell tons of boats probably can't afford to cut the cost to the bone and this will vary greatly between areas. As others have suggested, check in with some other nearby dealers or plan to purchase one farther away and go get it. One thing you really shouldn't ignore is with boats sometimes it could actually be better to pay a little more from a local dealer who would take exceptional care of you and your boat, versus buying cheap from a dealer who just wants your money......

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh, yeah, Kevin ......... by the way, while we are on the subject ..........

+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 14 - Kevin Howland - X1.jpg

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing you really shouldn't ignore is with boats sometimes it could actually be better to pay a little more from a local dealer who would take exceptional care of you and your boat, versus buying cheap from a dealer who just wants your money......
Agree 1000%. . . . . That said, $2K is a hefty premium to pay for that.

Kevin Howland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks all for the warm welcome and helpful information. I cant seem to provide a location in my profile as there is no field for this. I see it in everyone's profile but mine lacks that field. New member maybe?
Anyway, I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. Their initial offer might make you cringe.
$61,499.00 MSRP
$2000 Freight and Prep
$500 Boater Package
$Tax Title and Fees
At least there is room to negotiate ;) I have never owned a boat in my 50 years so walking away from their offer isn't too difficult - I waited this long, I can keep waiting. I will counter offer but not sure what that will be just yet.

I am talking to a couple of dealers about 100miles away to price shop a bit.

Again, thanks for all the info. and i will keep you informed at to the outcome.

Kevin

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might want to bring some lube next time you go back to that dealer because of what he is doing to you. I got my AR240 for $53,000 before taxes. That included all the prep and fees and whatever else, the only other cost was the tax. They also included the 5 year warranty, galvanized trailer, complete coast guard package(anchor, chain, rope, 3 dock lines, boat hook, flare kit, 10 life jackets,3 fenders and a fire extinguisher), deluxe premium mooring cover, exchanging the stock speakers for 4 Wet Sounds X-65i's, Drilling and installing 2 chrome rod holders in back transom, the soft sided Yamaha cooler bag and a $250 store credit towards anything else like tubes and ropes or whatever.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like Lodders Marine to me. They won't budge. I ended up getting a used AR 192 off craigslist. Try the place in Lexington. Stokleys Marine.