• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 242SE water leak

notaclue

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So we had underwater transom lights installed and now have a leak on the port side transom. Small constant trickle where yellow circle is. Nothing catastrophic, but a PIA after having a completely dry boat for the short time we've owned her. Second guessing my decision now...
IMG_1759.jpg
I've already taken back to installer once and they claim to have removed lights, cleaned area and reinstalled. Also including photo where they were installed - marked in red.
InkedYamaha-keel-31_LI.jpg
Could they have drilled into any other hose that's causing the leak ? Wasn't sure about the green circles ?!? Any insight is welcomed. Will be calling them again today to "have a talk".

Did they use 4200 or anything as a seal with the lights?

They did use sealant. Getting details on type / brand. Reputable shop that has done numerous installs confirmed by friend who had his 21' done week before mine with no issues.

So we had underwater transom lights installed and now have a leak on the port side transom. Small constant trickle where yellow circle is. Nothing catastrophic, but a PIA after having a completely dry boat for the short time we've owned her. Second guessing my decision now...
View attachment 172917
I've already taken back to installer once and they claim to have removed lights, cleaned area and reinstalled. Also including photo where they were installed - marked in red.
View attachment 172918
Could they have drilled into any other hose that's causing the leak ? Wasn't sure about the green circles ?!? Any insight is welcomed. Will be calling them again today to "have a talk".

that looks suspiciously like a pinhole has been worn in your jet pump to engine coolant line... normally that is a drilled hole in the bullhead with a grommet... bare fiberglass is a saw to rubber lines...

"...bare fiberglass is a saw to rubber lines..." - completely agree.
It only leaks when boat is in water with engines on or off. Once up on lift, no leak at all.

Hard to say if that water is coming from the cooling line or not. I'd run the boat and put your phone down there with the light on and record video. That will help isolate where the water is flowing. Others have used powder (like baby powder) to trace the water flow back to the source.

They sure could have drilled a hole in your exhaust hose....hard to say without getting a camera down there. Use a selfie stick to get to the harder to reach areas. Move the phone/camera around slowly.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Would a hole in the coolant line or exhaust hose as mentioned in your replies be prevalent when engines are not running ? It's a non-stop trickle when boat is in water. Good news is the installer is wanting to make it right and will be sending one of their techs to our slip to help diagnose. Fingers crossed...?

why I guessed a hole in the coolant line is that you would get a trickle with the engine off in the water... and It looks like there has been water spraying around in the bottom, also consistent with say the pressure in the coolant hose when the pump is spinning... the exhaust hose is less likely cause the cast aluminum through hull is a 90 that usually heads up before the hose connects... at least on the yamaha boats I have seen... following with interest...

Thanks to everyone for your input. Would a hole in the coolant line or exhaust hose as mentioned in your replies be prevalent when engines are not running ? It's a non-stop trickle when boat is in water. Good news is the installer is wanting to make it right and will be sending one of their techs to our slip to help diagnose. Fingers crossed...?
Yes, if they drilled into the exhaust hose that connects to the through hull exit shown in your photo - this would produce a leak inside the boat regardless of if the boat is running or not.

Curious the results. Might be a fluke coincidence. I have a tough time seeing how a decent installer could cause damage.

Back